U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:08 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,052,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, you use the word "harm". That isn't the issue. Forcing our kids to learn Spanish in school because of the number here illegally reeks of pandering and aiding and abetting to me.
Whatever the reason, if I were a mother I would love my kids to speak more than one language.

But as I said, please keep complaining. Just spend all your energy complaining.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,465,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Whatever the reason, if I were a mother I would love my kids to speak more than one language.
Some would find that statement to be extremely offensive and un American.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Some would find that statement to be extremely offensive and un American.
UnAmerican? How is this statement unamerican?

Education never harmed anyone. I am not saying not to speak or learn English. I am saying I would love my kids to speak as many languages as they can learn...

What is this ^ statement? Treason? I guess all the college students learning different languages are committing treason too! LOL

Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:

But as I said, please keep complaining. Just spend all your energy complaining.
Americans should complain about an illegal invasion of their country and the changing of our language and culture because of it. Aren't you an American? You don't have a problem with that kind of unnatural change in our country that is negatively impacting it? Believe me I do a lot more than talking or complaining. You have no idea.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Americans should complain about an illegal invasion of their country and the changing of our language and culture because of it. Aren't you an American? You don't have a problem with that kind of unnatural change in our country that is negatively impacting it? Believe me I do a lot more than talking or complaining. You have no idea.
I hope so. I have read in this board people attacked and raped by illegal aliens that just complain about it.

Not a phone call to the police, no criminal charges pressed.

I do not think there is an official language in the US. However, speak as many languages as you can learn, can not be considered Unamerican.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
How can learn a new language harm a person? Or a kid? They do not even have to make an effort to learn it.

I am not speaking about learning spanish (which I consider myself very lucky to speak perfectly, as my friends have spent a lot of money learning). I am speaking of Japanese, Chinese, french, german etc.

Learning a new skill can not harm a person, specially a kid.
Geez, go back and read my posts! I never said that learning another language harms anyone. I just said that there are other "skills" to be learned that are more beneficial.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Geez, go back and read my posts! I never said that learning another language harms anyone. I just said that there are other "skills" to be learned that are more beneficial.
I think that to expose a kid to a different language in a young age (say between 0-10) is a very beneficial thing to do, as such kid does not have to make any effort to learn the language, and will never forget it (I learned french when I was 11 and I do not forget it, even though I do not practice it).

No skill is more beneficial than other. Specially communications skills.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I think that to expose a kid to a different language in a young age (say between 0-10) is a very beneficial thing to do, as such kid does not have to make any effort to learn the language, and will never forget it (I learned french when I was 11 and I do not forget it, even though I do not practice it).

What good is a so-called "skill" of knowing another language if you don't use it?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,350 times
Quote:

Theres NO need for most Americans to know a language other than English. Its the most important one in the world. Not Spanish. Not Chinese. Not another other language.

IF a person wants to learn another language; thats cool. I dont like being made to do it cause the language of the USA is English.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 PM

884 posts, read 585,091 times
Quote:

The point is Americans are being forced to speak Spanish as a means to communicate with the employee. For example, I will not patronize a business when the person attempting to help me doesn't speak English only spanish. The excuse that we Americans don't want to learn any new skills or languages has been beating to the ground, and means absolutely nothing. If one chooses to learn a new language it should be that the person wants to, not that they have to in order to do business. It really is as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration