Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:58 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
The point is Americans are being forced to speak Spanish as a means to communicate with the employee. For example, I will not patronize a business when the person attempting to help me doesn't speak English only spanish. The excuse that we Americans don't want to learn any new skills or languages has been beating to the ground, and means absolutely nothing. If one chooses to learn a new language it should be that the person wants to, not that they have to in order to do business. It really is as simple as that.
You as a consumer had the right, as you did, and walk out to patronize another company that served your needs.

That company might have practiced "bad business" by having only Spanish-speaking" employees, but that is not illegal or in any way forces you to speak Spanish.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
Actually do not learn any new skills or languages or anything. Just blame the liberals, the government and the illegal aliens. That way you do not have to do anything to improve your life and it is not your fault.
Now you sound just plain dumb....

You learned numerous languages, kudos to you but to say other people are lazy for not wanting to learn another language is stupidity on your part.

I spent 40 years in the computer field, not once was my mono lingual ability counted against me nor did it ever hinder my advancement in the field....

I speak Assembler, COBOL, Fortran, C++ and Pascal

I can count in Binary, Decimal, Hex and Octal

I understand bits, bytes, nibbles, half words and words

You don't know them? You're lazy. Just blame the French, the Taliban and the Atlantians. That way you do not have to do anything to improve your life and it is not your fault.

Last edited by plwhit; 04-25-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Whatever the reason, if I were a mother I would love my kids to speak more than one language.

But as I said, please keep complaining. Just spend all your energy complaining.
I'd rather have my kids be kids, not have them learn another language...

Maybe if you were a mother raising children you'd have a different take on this subject.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I'd learn another language. But ONLY if it guaranteed to benefit MY business, and NOT for the soul purpose of making life easier for those who are too damn lazy to learn English.
In my type of business, if you don't speak Engish, your wasting my time.
I had a NOTICE posted:
(in Spanish and English)
NO ENGLISH!
.NO REPAIR!

That was in SoCal.
NOTE: (I repair Construction and Landscape equipment)

Here in OK, we don't have that problem because a new OK. law just passed
making English the states official language.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I'd learn another language. But ONLY if it guaranteed to benefit MY business, and NOT for the soul purpose of making life easier for those who are too damn lazy to learn English.
In my type of business, if you don't speak Engish, your wasting my time.
I had a NOTICE posted:
(in Spanish and English)
NO ENGLISH!
.NO REPAIR!
That was in SoCal.
NOTE: (I repair Construction and Landscape equipment)

Here in OK, we don't have that problem because a new OK. law just passed
making English the states official language.
Yeah well, English is the official langauge of California also but it makes no difference whatsover.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
I'm all for bilingualism, but it's maddening that when one says they are bilingual, it's most often assumed the other language is Spanish. WTH..there are numerous other languages out there worth knowing.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah well, English is the official langauge of California also but it makes no difference whatsover.
Calm down there.
I'm on your side.

I know how California is. Don't forget, I lived in SoCal for 36yr's.

OK, is completely the opposite.
Immigration Bill "HB 1804" is stongly enforced here.
You don't see illegals working at every business you walk into here, (or any business for that matter)

I had a culture shock when I first moved here because of the abscents of illegals.. (compared to Ca.)

Old 04-25-2011, 09:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'd rather have my kids be kids, not have them learn another language...

Maybe if you were a mother raising children you'd have a different take on this subject.
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. Numerous studies show that learning new languages developed synapses in our brains that would not have been their otherwise. And the key time to learn a language is under 10 years old - if it's implanted during that age, the base for it will always be there.

I starting learning French when I was 5, and I've never felt like I was "deprived" because of it. In the end, your bigotry is crippling your kids and giving them one less skill they can use for the future.

Hope they don't hate you for it.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
That's a pretty dumb thing to say. Numerous studies show that learning new languages developed synapses in our brains that would not have been their otherwise. And the key time to learn a language is under 10 years old - if it's implanted during that age, the base for it will always be there.

I starting learning French when I was 5, and I've never felt like I was "deprived" because of it. In the end, your bigotry is crippling your kids and giving them one less skill they can use for the future.

Hope they don't hate you for it.
The problem is that the immigrants won't learn the language of this country - why aren't you concerned with their synapses?

Old 04-26-2011, 01:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
I just know that when you are between the ages of 0 and 10 learning a new language comes extremely easy. Kids are like sponges. What is the harm on having them learn 2 or 3 or 4 languages?

It will not harm them. Au contriere mon ami.
The "hispanic" kids have the highest drop out rates of all. So something isn't quite right in your theory. The schools with the most Spanish speakers tend to have very low SAT scores. And if kids can so easily learn a new language why are so many kids unable to learn English and must be taught in Spanish?

The whole reason Americans are being told they must learn Spanish is because the Spanish speaking immigrants and their children are unable to learn English. And we're not being told we must learn Chinese, Vietnamese, French, Arabic and other languges as the immigrants speaking those language quickly pick up English. It's just the one group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration