Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times

Advertisements

From this morning's L.A. Times...

"I was the only one in our local extended family who spoke to Ruby and Lucía in Spanish. All of our neighbors and their kids spoke English. And before we knew it, they were going to preschool, where the teachers and students spoke English."

"Ruby and Lucía began responding in English to my Spanish, which made it harder for me to stick to the soft-voweled tongue."

"I want my children to be bilingual so they can cross the border between the United States and the vast Spanish-speaking world south of it, and also so they can cross the linguistic lines in our own city."

""¡Plantas aquí, plantas allá, plantas en todas partes!" Sáenz was saying in her big, precise teacher voice when I entered the room, leading the children in a call and response on basic botany vocabulary. When teaching, she never says a word in English — neither do her students. The class is a sea of brown faces, with a sprinkling of white ones."

"Later, I spoke with Ana and Pablo Contreras, who arrived from Mexico City 11 years ago and whose daughter Dana is in kindergarten. They too are enthusiastic about Aldama's dual-language program, though they acknowledge the social and cultural barriers."

"We exchanged emails with everyone at a potluck," Ana Contreras told me. "But we've barely been in touch. They have their culture and we have ours. It's going to take a lot of goodwill to really bring our communities together."

"Meanwhile, I'm wondering why all of L.A.'s kids aren't speaking in tongues together."

To read entire article...
Learning Spanish and English unites children - latimes.com

My opinion...if this article's author is so concerned about his children knowing how to speak Spanish, maybe he and his family should move back to Mexico. This continual pressure of making schools and American children bow down to learning the language of foreign immigrants and illegal invaders is wrong, plain and simple. Its just as bad when Hispanic children are making inroads to learning English and their own parents are trying to stymie and prevent it.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
I have now reached the point of insanity.

What the freak is wrong with this Country and those who inhabit it; oh, Aliens of the illegal kind.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
The good news is, the kids usually end up speaking broken or no Spanish and their kids end up speaking no Spanish at all. Heard most of the post Mariel Cubans in Miami don't speak much Spanish

Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
The open borders side out and out lies. Having hundreds of languages and dialects does not unite people at all, only a common language can do that. Certainly they aren't racist enough to insist that only their own language must be considered special and certainly they believe the over 2 billion impoverished people of many many nations have the same unlimited right to move here as they insist their people have, and all would keep their own languages and dialects. These people are beyond stupid.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:31 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
From this morning's L.A. Times...

"I was the only one in our local extended family who spoke to Ruby and Lucía in Spanish. All of our neighbors and their kids spoke English. And before we knew it, they were going to preschool, where the teachers and students spoke English."

"Ruby and Lucía began responding in English to my Spanish, which made it harder for me to stick to the soft-voweled tongue."

"I want my children to be bilingual so they can cross the border between the United States and the vast Spanish-speaking world south of it, and also so they can cross the linguistic lines in our own city."

""¡Plantas aquí, plantas allá, plantas en todas partes!" Sáenz was saying in her big, precise teacher voice when I entered the room, leading the children in a call and response on basic botany vocabulary. When teaching, she never says a word in English — neither do her students. The class is a sea of brown faces, with a sprinkling of white ones."

"Later, I spoke with Ana and Pablo Contreras, who arrived from Mexico City 11 years ago and whose daughter Dana is in kindergarten. They too are enthusiastic about Aldama's dual-language program, though they acknowledge the social and cultural barriers."

"We exchanged emails with everyone at a potluck," Ana Contreras told me. "But we've barely been in touch. They have their culture and we have ours. It's going to take a lot of goodwill to really bring our communities together."

"Meanwhile, I'm wondering why all of L.A.'s kids aren't speaking in tongues together."

To read entire article...
Learning Spanish and English unites children - latimes.com

My opinion...if this article's author is so concerned about his children knowing how to speak Spanish, maybe he and his family should move back to Mexico. This continual pressure of making schools and American children bow down to learning the language of foreign immigrants and illegal invaders is wrong, plain and simple. Its just as bad when Hispanic children are making inroads to learning English and their own parents are trying to stymie and prevent it.
People worldwide take english classes at the secondary school level and also at the university level. People worldwide want to be bilingual and 3,4 lingual.

You should not bash the author of that article just because you want to be an underskilled monolingual.

Sad sad sad.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
People worldwide take english classes at the secondary school level and also at the university level. People worldwide want to be bilingual and 3,4 lingual.

You should not bash the author of that article just because you want to be an underskilled monolingual.

Sad sad sad.
I think you are missing the point. The problem here is not that the OP wants to be monolingual.

I understand people in other countries study English and whatnot. They do it by choice. In this country we are being forced to change our way of life. Can't get certain jobs if you don't speak Spanish. Hell I couldn't get a job as a supervisor for a cleaning company because the employees did not speak English. So basically if you don't learn Spanish your options are limited.

Do you press 2 for English in Venezuela? I sure didn't press 2 for English when I lived in Brazil.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Sad sad sad.
What you need to do is explain it to our ever-increasing immigrant class why they should be willing to learn another language.

These are the laziest immigrants yet - they want to come here for the food stamps and welfare, and the higher wages but they want to make no effort to learn the language of this country.

The whole reason there's this push for Americans to learn Spanish is precisely because the immigrants refuse to ever learn English.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM

And I would also think it would be ignorant and intellectually very lazy for an American to go to another country to live forever and refuse to ever learn the language of that country.

Yet that's exactly what we see being done. Hordes of people moving over here because they love and worship our money and government handouts but they will not make any effort to learn anything of our language, our history, our culture.

They are lazier by far than many American tourists who learn more of a foreign language for a spring break vacation to Cancun, imagine relocating to another country permanently and never learning a word of it's language.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The good news is, the kids usually end up speaking broken or no Spanish and their kids end up speaking no Spanish at all. Heard most of the post Mariel Cubans in Miami don't speak much Spanish
What people call Spanish from Mexico aint. Its Spanglish. Castilion from Spain IS beautiful. And I dont like to say this but to many American Chicanos like me DO sound like we just came to the USA cause our English aint that good.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:

Sad sad sad.
"Underskilled"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration