Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,304 times

Advertisements

even if you do not use those skills, an employer would be positively impressed by a person with different skills, because it shows a willingness to learn. Which looks kind of good.

I have a classmate that is the poster child of that attitude. We are talking a class on programming for business managers and she is extremely lazy when it comes to it. She told me one day "I do not need to know this, when I become a CEO, I will hire someone to do it".Now she is making a campaign to go to the dean of students to have the teacher reprimanded because she got a 59 on the midterm.

I just do not understand that attitude. It is just plain laziness?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolVa1977 View Post
even if you do not use those skills, an employer would be positively impressed by a person with different skills, because it shows a willingness to learn. Which looks kind of good.

I have a classmate that is the poster child of that attitude. We are talking a class on programming for business managers and she is extremely lazy when it comes to it. She told me one day "I do not need to know this, when I become a CEO, I will hire someone to do it".Now she is making a campaign to go to the dean of students to have the teacher reprimanded because she got a 59 on the midterm.

I just do not understand that attitude. It is just plain laziness?
An employer might be impressed but if you lack the technical skills of the job you are applying for you won't get hired just because you can speak different languages. Being mono-lingual does not equate to an inability to learn. If someone chooses a trade school or college instead that also shows an ability to learn.

Your story has nothing to do with the issue we are discussing. Not learning another language does not indicate laziness. In fact, if you don't use a language you will lose it anyway.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
An employer might be impressed but if you lack the technical skills of the job you are applying for you won't get hired just because you can speak different languages. Being mono-lingual does not equate to an inability to learn. If someone chooses a trade school or college instead that also shows an ability to learn.

Your story has nothing to do with the issue we are discussing. Not learning another language does not indicate laziness. In fact, if you don't use a language you will lose it anyway.
I will be honest with you, every single job I have interviewed for people makes a huge deal about the fact that I speak so many languages. Maybe that is not the reason I get hired, but for some reason most interviewers ask me how come and comment on what they consider a sign of dedication.

Of course, I would not advice any of you to encourage your kids to learn any other language That is too much. Just keep complaining.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I learned several languages before the age of 11. I do not see how learning a new skill such as a language can hurt you.

Honestly in a global economy, if you do not adapt on how the world works and just for the sake of being lazy do not acquire new skills, you will become obsolete.

Education (including different languages and the ability to communicate) will give you an edge.
I never said that learning another language can hurt you. It is all about prioritizing one's time and what skills you can learn to benefit you the most. As I said in a couple of other posts English is the language of commerce so I don't see how your global economy fits into the picture. I find it offensive to say that someone is lazy just because they haven't learned another language when they have used their time to go to school or learn a trade. Is that what you call laziness?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Actually do not learn any new skills or languages or anything. Just blame the liberals, the government and the illegal aliens. That way you do not have to do anything to improve your life and it is not your fault.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I never said that learning another language can hurt you. It is all about prioritizing one's time and what skills you can learn to benefit you the most. As I said in a couple of other posts English is the language of commerce so I don't see how your global economy fits into the picture. I find it offensive to say that someone is lazy just because they haven't learned another language when they have used their time to go to school or learn a trade. Is that what you call laziness?
I just know that when you are between the ages of 0 and 10 learning a new language comes extremely easy. Kids are like sponges. What is the harm on having them learn 2 or 3 or 4 languages?

It will not harm them. Au contriere mon ami.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Actually do not learn any new skills or languages or anything. Just blame the liberals, the government and the illegal aliens. That way you do not have to do anything to improve your life and it is not your fault.
So your comeback is to be sarcastic now? I in fact did mention learning new skills and getting an education as an alternative to learning a language you will never use anyway. How did illegal aliens get into this discussion all of a sudden unless you are advocating we learn Spanish to accomodate them so we can get a job in our own country. Who is blaming anyone else for not improving their lives? There are cops, firemen etc. who were already employed in their line of work who now have to learn Spanish to keep their jobs. Are their lives going to be improved by that? No, they already were cops and firemen before that demand was made.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM

884 posts, read 716,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
We should just cede back California back to Mexico. This is becoming crazy.

Why would I want to learn the language of my gardener?
That was funny but HEY hold it now. I live in Califbrokea and I have fought tooth and nail not to speak spanglish, for the simple fact that if we all cater to the spanglish speaking then guess what. Yes I can speak it but like many other posters here believe we need to have one language first. The old saying "united we stand - divided we fall" applies here IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I just know that when you are between the ages of 0 and 10 learning a new language comes extremely easy. Kids are like sponges. What is the harm on having them learn 2 or 3 or 4 languages?

It will not harm them. Au contriere mon ami.
Again, you use the word "harm". That isn't the issue. Forcing our kids to learn Spanish in school because of the number here illegally reeks of pandering and aiding and abetting to me.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
So your comeback is to be sarcastic now? I in fact did mention learning new skills and getting an education as an alternative to learning a language you will never use anyway. How did illegal aliens get into this discussion all of a sudden unless you are advocating we learn Spanish to accomodate them so we can get a job in our own country. Who is blaming anyone else for not improving their lives? There are cops, firemen etc. who were already employed in their line of work who now have to learn Spanish to keep their jobs. Are their lives going to be improved by that? No, they already were cops and firemen before that demand was made.
How can learn a new language harm a person? Or a kid? They do not even have to make an effort to learn it.

I am not speaking about learning spanish (which I consider myself very lucky to speak perfectly, as my friends have spent a lot of money learning). I am speaking of Japanese, Chinese, french, german etc.

Learning a new skill can not harm a person, specially a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration