U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,352,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Western Union cannot be used to enforce immigration laws. Jesus, guys. Get a GRIP.
Please hyperbole is a refuge of those who cannot articulate their thoughts. We have enough of that in the media.

Why not use WU and similar to enforce? Private institutions verify credentials. We ask employers to verify the legal status of an applicant prior to employment. Applies to U.S. nationals as well.

Illegals are primarily here to send money home. Major conduits are the wire transfer services as postal is inefficient and so is trusting money to someone traveling to the home country. Check cashing stores as well should be included.

There are other instances of legal U.S. nationals having to show proper identification and even background check for purchases of services/goods. Money transfer is a service.

I wrote the above because I know many illegals and note how they are paid and send money home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Or tax all those billions $$$$ leaving the country. WU could be the last chance to tax some of that money before it leaves the economy. Help pay for unemployment for Americans and health care for illegals.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

86,093 posts, read 70,086,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I know a number of illegal aliens and they all send their money South via Western Union. I presume this is predominate manner as Third World Postal systems are corrupt and inefficient.

So, why not establish identity checks at Western Union, Moneygram International, and similar money sending locations?

Same could be said for Check Cash stores.

I mean as in confirm legality of the sender.
I see it at my supermarket. The "customer service" area has a western union and it's a big "cash business" on the weekends. No ID is necessary to send cash via Western Union.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,592,401 times
The government would never do that to such a cash cow as Western Union. We all know that it isn't about doing what is legal and right, they put their interest over enforcement.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,352,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
The government would never do that to such a cash cow as Western Union. We all know that it isn't about doing what is legal and right, they put their interest over enforcement.
I suppose I am naive. I actually do believe our Gov't is trying to do what is legal and right and not have the spector of a police state or militarized border ala Soviet Bloc countries or the WWII internment camps of Japanese -Americans.

I think some of the reason our Gov't does not proceed to the logical level of intervention is because the outcome will permanently change the character of the U.S. and not necessarily for the better. Well, at least in one of the possible scenarios.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-27-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration