Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Gutierrez is in the same mold as the dictators of Latin America. He really does not want a democratic process, he doesn't want what's good for the people of the USA, he wants what would benefit him. To hell with what the American people want.
so if Americans pass the dream act or amnesty...then you will be OK with that...right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
so if Americans pass the dream act or amnesty...then you will be OK with that...right?
It isn't the American populace who can vote on such things so what do you mean? Only congress can do that and they are only a few hundred people compared to over 300 million regular Americans. They have passed legislation before that was not in tune with what the majority of regualr Americans want so no, I wouldn't be ok with it.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It isn't the American populace who can vote on such things so what do you mean? Only congress can do that and they are only a few hundred people compared to over 300 million regular Americans. They have passed legislation before that was not in tune with what the majority of regualr Americans want so no, I wouldn't be ok with it.
We are a representitive Republic, we vote for our representives...Congress did not gain their seats through osmosis.

Every regular American, that meets the critiria, can and should vote for his representitive[s].

If you wish to change our form of government, I believe that also can be done through the vote.

In tune? not my tune???

Obama was voted in...passed Obama care. Those opposed are trying to rescind the act. How? by voting in like minded representitives. If it is rescinded, then the people have spoken. The same is true if the act carries. That is just our form of govenment.

It is not the majority of 300 million. It is the majority of those that voted.

Last edited by 1751texan; 04-28-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Hmmmm... I wonder how big Gutierrez's house is? Maybe he could take a few families in, support them, and take the burden off the tax payer?

I'll say it again...anyone who feels this strongly about rewarding people who willfully enter our country to live without pemission needs to step forward and put their money where their mouth is. Feed them, clothe them, house them, pay for their medical and education expenses and SPONSOR them, with your OWN money!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
We are a representitive Republic, we vote for our representives...Congress did not gain their seats through osmosis.

Every regular American, that meets the critiria, can and should vote for his representitive[s].

If you wish to change our form of government, I believe that also can be done through the vote.

In tune? not my tune???

Obama was voted in...passed Obama care. Those opposed are trying to rescind the act. How? by voting in like minded representitives. If it is rescinded, then the people have spoken. The same is true if the act carries. That is just our form of govenment.

It is not the majority of 300 million. It is the majority of those that voted.
Unless you have been living in a cave you would know that the people regardless of the number who vote elect politicians who often don't fulfill their promises and stab us in the back once they are elected. Look at Obama for instance the pro-illegals are all upset because he didn't fulfill his promise to give illegals amnesty in the first year of his presidency. The healthcare bill is another example of legislation being passed in contrary to the will of the people's desires. Yes, rescinding it is on the table but it may or may not happen.

I will continue to fight for the American people to have more of a voice on the issues important to us and so will many others who feel that way also. You and I both know how hard it is to fight city hall though obviously as I said because there hasn't been any amnesty for illegals or no Dream Act which part of the populace do want. You criticize those whose views are different than yours for not taking the necessary steps for change and yet we are doing just that while all the while your side isn't getting what you want either with your demands. When your side gets what they want by voting in politicians that don't stab them in the back after being elected then get back with us, ok? In the meantime don't tell us to change things as we are doing the same things your side is doing to make it happen.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
This man is such a nut job.

He is not fighting for amnesty for illegal aliens. He is fighting for amnesty for "Latinos".

He is a racist SOB...but it is okay because he is not white.
Latinos are not a race, but an ethnic group defined as sharing national origins in Latin American countries. Therefore, Latinos can be of any race, nearly all have European admixture, the majority of U.S. Latinos possess a majority of European admixture, and a common feature of Latin American social stratification, as well as select Mexican-American social stratification, is the positive association of higher status with European admixture.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Latinos are not a race, but an ethnic group defined as sharing national origins in Latin American countries. Therefore, Latinos can be of any race, nearly all have European admixture, the majority of U.S. Latinos possess a majority of European admixture, and a common feature of Latin American social stratification, as well as select Mexican-American social stratification, is the positive association of higher status with European admixture.
You are correct, however that doesn't change the fact that Gutierrez is fighting for amnesty as he knows that his ethnic group will benefit the most by it and they are by nationality, mostly Mexicans. He has an ethnocentric agenda.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Gutierrez is in the same mold as the dictators of Latin America. He really does not want a democratic process, he doesn't want what's good for the people of the USA, he wants what would benefit him. To hell with what the American people want.
That's pretty much the impression I have gotten when hearing him interviewed.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM

532 posts, read 1,055,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You are correct, however that doesn't change the fact that Gutierrez is fighting for amnesty as he knows that his ethnic group will benefit the most by it and they are by nationality, mostly Mexicans. He has an ethnocentric agenda.
Luis Gutierrez's nationality is American. If an ethnic group is "by nationality, mostly Mexicans," they are distinct from Luis Gutierrez.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Luis Gutierrez's nationality is American. If an ethnic group is "by nationality, mostly Mexicans," they are distinct from Luis Gutierrez.
Gutierriez may be American by nationality but he is of the Latino/Hispanic ethnic group and so are most of the illegal Mexicans that are coming here. I said he was ethnocentric. I don't know how much clearer I can make it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration