U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,869,467 times

Advertisements

Requiring employees to learn Spanish is not going to help immigrants from Latin America learn English, which is something they should need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
I'm pretty sure the Spanish speaking fireman will also be able to speak English fluently and I have no problems with that.

The fact is alot of people in America today and not just Illigal Immigrants can only speak Spanish fluently and Spanish speaking Fireman and Police officers are needed. I don't think children deserve to be burned alive or brutally murdered just because they can't speak 2 languages. How many languages do you grown people on your high horse speak?
Five fluently. Seven if you also count the ones that I can just get by in.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the Spanish speaking fireman will also be able to speak English fluently and I have no problems with that.

The fact is alot of people in America today and not just Illigal Immigrants can only speak Spanish fluently and Spanish speaking Fireman and Police officers are needed. I don't think children deserve to be burned alive or brutally murdered just because they can't speak 2 languages. How many languages do you grown people on your high horse speak?
What? How in the world are children going to be burned alive or brutally murdered because they can't speak 2 languages? Most of our own American children only speak one language and that is English.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM

108 posts, read 134,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Which is odd because the second gen Hispanics I know hardly even bother with Spanish. It's only the first gen with illegal alien Parents that speak it heavily along with the illegals themselves.
I used to work in a place that directly worked with the general public. We had field trips to this location all through warm months. The majority of the people from spanish speaking schools out of the city of Chicago (and surrounding area) could not speak or understand English. I had a school group come through where the only person that could speak any English at all was in 1st grade. The teachers could not speak English. The reason I had to find this out (the hard way) was that one of their students had gotten lost and it was my job to track them down and return them to their teacher. If you are going to live here, learn to speak the language. If you aren't going to learn don't leave your house.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:28 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
I used to work in a place that directly worked with the general public. We had field trips to this location all through warm months. The majority of the people from spanish speaking schools out of the city of Chicago (and surrounding area) could not speak or understand English. I had a school group come through where the only person that could speak any English at all was in 1st grade. The teachers could not speak English. The reason I had to find this out (the hard way) was that one of their students had gotten lost and it was my job to track them down and return them to their teacher. If you are going to live here, learn to speak the language. If you aren't going to learn don't leave your house.
It is sad. Just today I was talking to my son and was introduced to his new friend. I told my son later that the kid was really big for his class. My son said it was because the boy had flunked 2nd grade.

Then I greeted his Parents. They knew about 3 words of English. I'm only guessing but I bet that is why the kid is failing.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:

English cause Im an American. If I lived in Mexico, I would learn Spanish. If I lived in Germany, it would be German.

Now why should I have to learn another language to live in MY English speaking country>?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 PM

21,029 posts, read 15,241,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Veterans challenge Boston’s plan to hire Spanish-speakers - The Boston Globe

I read that article on the Globe this morning.

So what is the purpose of hiring "Spanish" speaking firefighters in a country where English is the language spoken?

Why can't people just learn English? Why do we cater to them so much?

Boston has a huge Asian population as well but the city is not hiring candidates who speak Cantonese / Mandarin, are they...? What about Russian? Italian?

Why Spanish?
Probably the same reason NYC does this with their police department:

"The department also has cultivated a corps of bilingual officers. Its job application asks aspiring officers to review a long list of languages — including Kurdish, Pashto and Cambodian — and check off which ones they speak fluently.
Along with an abundance of Spanish- and Italian-speakers, there are more than 400 officers and civilians employed by the department who speak about three dozen other languages, officials said. Many have been given counterterrorism and community relations assignments.
Officers (are) "literally speak the languages of the communities they protect," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly."

.NYPD's diversity reflects demographic shifts - USATODAY.com

Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

"The department also has cultivated a corps of bilingual officers. Its job application asks aspiring officers to review a long list of languages — including Kurdish, Pashto and Cambodian — and check off which ones they speak fluently.
Along with an abundance of Spanish- and Italian-speakers, there are more than 400 officers and civilians employed by the department who speak about three dozen other languages, officials said. Many have been given counterterrorism and community relations assignments.
Officers (are) "literally speak the languages of the communities they protect," said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly."

That shows the problem with immigration today and not just illegal but legal too - instead of attracting the brightest, most able immigrants, we're now bringing in those who are incapable of learning English, unwilling to assimilate and adapt.

Immigration is now about making us the flophouse of the world and it's only about money and welfare handouts, no desire to fit in or learn.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Side_TX View Post
EXACTLY! Even though I knew I'd only be in Germany/Portugal for a few years. I still took time to learn the language and common terms out of respect for the locals.
Americans learn more Spanish for a 1 week vacation in Cancun than many immigrants will learn of English after 20 years of living here soaking in money that ironically is the one document besides food stamps and WIC coupons that doesn't have to be printed in their own language.

It's incredible that with all the people wanting to immigrate here, we're catering the laziest and most feeble of all who are clueless on the language spoken in this country and have absolutely no desire to learn it.

Immigration needs reforming -- but not opening it up even more but by having some standards of some kind. It's just become a big free-for-all. Immigrants capable of adapting and who can be self-reliant, can support their families should be given preference.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

If these "communities" don't desire to learn English then we shouldn't be pandering to them in their native tongues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration