U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,648,201 times
Reputation: 3583

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Focus your argument, you are the one mixing legal and illegal immigration into the same category.
'


It's immigration nonetheless...NO?

I am asking why 2 sets of immigrants who want to succeed in life happen to do completely different things upon arriving in this country.

And now don't tell me it is because one is legal and the other one isn't.

Assimilation has nothing to do with it.

Don't they just want a better life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
...There is a big difference between today's illegal immigrants and those immigrants who came here earlier, LEGALLY, I might add, since there were not yet any standard rules for immigration...
You can't use a definition of "LEGALLY" unless there was a LAW for it. My ancestors came here, all from Europe, and none going through any sort of immigration processing. When they wanted to become citizens (usually linked more with property ownership than gaining an ability to vote), they had a couple other citizens attest for them, and filled out the paperwork (I've got a scan from a Great Great Grandfather if anyone wants to see it).

You've got to decide a little bit better on your comparisons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,363,879 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You can't use a definition of "LEGALLY" unless there was a LAW for it. My ancestors came here, all from Europe, and none going through any sort of immigration processing. When they wanted to become citizens (usually linked more with property ownership than gaining an ability to vote), they had a couple other citizens attest for them, and filled out the paperwork (I've got a scan from a Great Great Grandfather if anyone wants to see it).

You've got to decide a little bit better on your comparisons...
Yes, I can use the definition of "LEGALLY" because they way they entered was not ILLEGAL at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Harrison, OH
910 posts, read 1,387,270 times
Reputation: 368
Immigrants of the past did not come expecting to be treated like royalty, have their housing and food taken care, or expect people to learn THEIR language.When my great-grandpa arrived here in 1923, he had hardly a dime in his name and spoke little to no English. Well guess what? He learned English, got a job, bought a house, and got married and had a family! Never once did he or people like him expect the government or other taxpayers to take care of them because they were "special" or entitled to such treatment.

Last edited by jon1987; 05-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
...At least your ancestor intended to pan for his own gold instead of taking someone else's.
He wasn't an ancestor (look at the relationship again), and he ended up farming anyway (quitting that when his legs hurt too much). Not identifying the gold of the Black Hills as someone else's also doesn't understand history. But gold rushes tend to forget those niceties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, I can use the definition of "LEGALLY" because they way they entered was not ILLEGAL at that time.
Circular logic. A concept of being legal or illegal cannot be defined in absence of law. And to think that I get told that I am not making sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Yeah, somehow link it to illegal immigration...

There isn't distinct "sets" of immigration, nor much to show great differences over the years. I can even quote the "Know Nothings" that disliked the immigrants of a hundred years ago. The Teddy Roosevelt quote attempted to be played today was rage against German immigrant behaviors he and others didn't like.

I though history was supposed to be ancient here, and not able to be used...
History (especially revisionist history) shouldn't be used as justification for illegal immigration into our country today and that is the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
History (especially revisionist history) shouldn't be used as justification for illegal immigration into our country today and that is the difference.
Just who was Teddy talking about then?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Circular logic. A concept of being legal or illegal cannot be defined in absence of law. And to think that I get told that I am not making sense!
In absence of a law then an act cannot be illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
In absence of a law then an act cannot be illegal.
It also cannot be called "legal"...

Think about it a little bit more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top