U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Just who was Teddy talking about then?...
What? Your reply to my remark makes no sense. I never mentioned Teddy. Someone else did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What? Your reply to my remark makes no sense. I never mentioned Teddy. Someone else did.
I did. Teddy Roosevelt complained about a group not using English as they should, and flying their native flags within the United States. He was in Pennsylvania at the time the idea came to him.

Which group of immigrants was he referring to in that famous quote?...

Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It also cannot be called "legal"...

Think about it a little bit more...
No, you had better think about it a little more. Remove the word "legal" then if it pleases you. Nothing wrong with doing something if there is no law against it. There, does that make you happy now? Or are you going to continue to grasp as straws?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I did. Teddy Roosevelt complained about a group not using English as they should, and flying their native flags within the United States. He was in Pennsylvania at the time the idea came to him.

Which group of immigrants was he referring to in that famous quote?...
I never got involved in the discussion about Teddy Roosevelt so why are you asking me? You replied to my remark about revisionist history ( so-called Mexican stolen land) being used as justification for illegal immigration into our country today. What has that to do with Teddy Roosevelt?

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, you had better think about it a little more. Remove the word "legal" then if it pleases you. Nothing wrong with doing something if there is no law against it. There, does that make you happy now? Or are you going to continue to grasp as straws?
Agreed then. Past immigration from Europe, during the time where there was no immigration law for Europeans to come here, can no longer be defined in a context of being either "legal" or "illegal". Was that so hard?

Do we have that consensus?...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:
But my G-G-Grand Uncle came for the gold rush in the Black Hills (his ticket specified his intended destination as "Deadwood, Dakota", from back in Germany). His family was rich enough to send him on the Fulda, a luxury liner of the time. And it had that "chain migration" in there too, writing back for his brother and sister to join him a few years after.

When you study ancestry and family stories like I do, you'll find a big tendency to glorify ancestors and events...
By the rules of back then, most people came here LEGALLY. Things change and its time for the ILLEGALS to go home.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
...I am posting this on the illegal immigration forum because the flow of illegal aliens in this country seems to surpass the flow of legal ones.
Last year (2010), slightly more than a million people* became Legal Permanent Residents (a majority already legally present in the United States). That is more than illegal alien entries over the last calculated four year period (2005 - 2008) total**. In fact from January 2008 to January 2009, the illegal immigrant population decreased from 11.6 million to 10.8 million (more than 800,000).

Meaning (with last available correlating data):

Net gain in illegal immigrants from the start of 2005 to the end of 2009: Approximately 300,000....

Over the same span of time for legal immigrants: More than 5.2 million (with about 65% as "adjustment of status", meaning they were already present in the U.S.)...

Of the illegal and legal immigration inclusive for the years 2005 to 2009, illegal immigration was less than 6% of the total...

Far more are coming legally...

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
By the rules of back then, most people came here LEGALLY...
Rules starting when? If they came "LEGALLY" "back then", it is not valid for a discussion on illegal immigration now. See my last post for the most current data.

I'm keeping this on-topic, and do have some further points...

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
Last year (2010), slightly more than a million people* became Legal Permanent Residents (a majority already legally present in the United States). That is more than illegal alien entries over the last calculated four year period (2005 - 2008) total**. In fact from January 2008 to January 2009, the illegal immigrant population decreased from 11.6 million to 10.8 million (more than 800,000).

Meaning (with last available correlating data):

Net gain in illegal immigrants from the start of 2005 to the end of 2009: Approximately 300,000....

Over the same span of time for legal immigrants: More than 5.2 million (with about 65% as "adjustment of status", meaning they were already present in the U.S.)...

Of the illegal and legal immigration inclusive for the years 2005 to 2009, illegal immigration was less than 6% of the total...

Far more are coming legally...
Amazing..... just how do "they" know how many illegal alien invaders come/came into America?

There is no consensus on how to count these illegal alien invaders and I'll bet a dime to a dollar I can come up with just as many sources as you except mine will show the figure closer to 20 million in this country right now.

For example Bear Stearns:

Quote:
Underpinning Bear Stearns' estimate of 20 million illegal immigrants is the identification of two patterns: 1) a trend of sharply increased demand for public services in communities that have become gateways for immigration, and 2) increases in foreign remittances (money sent back to an immigrant's native country), housing permits and border-crossings.
Number of illegal immigrants in U.S. may be closer to 20 million

How do "they" know how many left and went back home? Maybe they didn't go back home but just migrated to a different state with different stolen identities?

As far as the OP goes maybe the 1st gen immigrants grew up and lived in societies where there was a respect for the law... and these 2nd gen illegals (as their presence in this country shows) don't respect any law....

The 1st gen people grew up in societies where lying was a fundamental wrong whereas these 2nd gen people don't think twice about lying.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Amazing..... just how do "they" know how many illegal alien invaders come/came into America?...
"They" are DHS, although I know some will think they can count brown faces better. Case in point, your source of Bear Stearns counts remittances, when I as a U.S. citizen send money to my Mother-In-Law; It's not a factor limited to illegal aliens by any means. Are those increases in public services from legal immigrants passing the 5 year mark (families of Active U.S. servicemembers can even qualify for benefits immediately, and prior-LPR military are naturalizing at enormous rates from wartime service), or new citizens?

With sources like that, I think you are counting a percentage of legal immigrants and U.S. citizens as "illegal"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration