Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,491 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I were talking about this the other day and I am would like your opinion on this. Probably won't make much sense but here I go:

When the first set of immigrants came to this country, they helped build it. Most of that the United States is today was built by those people. They had the same dream: to have a better life and for the most part I would like to say they succeeded: they learned the language and made this country their home.

Why is the same not happening with the second set of immigrants? They supposedly have the same dream, they just want a better life for themselves? Don't they? Why do they just seem to take things away without putting anything into the system. Why do they feel entitled to everything this country has to offer?

Why the different mentality?

I am posting this on the illegal immigration forum because the flow of illegal aliens in this country seems to surpass the flow of legal ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
Because they earlier waves of immigrants knew that they were going to have to work hard to obtain their dreams, just like any other American. There were no hand-outs waiting for them and they didn't expect any. Those earlier immigrants had too much pride to ask others to take care of their needs and it was a matter of great pride to be able to support your own family, even if you weren't rich. They didn't feel entitled, they felt priviledged to be here and showed their gratitude to this country through hard work and self-sufficiency. They also had dignity.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My boyfriend and I were talking about this the other day and I am would like your opinion on thos

When the first set of immigrants came to this country, they helped build it. Most of that the United States is today was built by those people. They had the same dream: to have a better life and for the most part I would like to say they succeeded: they learned the language and made this country their home.

Why is the same not happening with the second set of immigrants? They supposedly have the same dream, they just want a better life for themselves? Don't they?

I am posting this on the illegal immigration forum because the flow of illegal aliens in this country seems to surpass the flow of legal ones.
Yeah, somehow link it to illegal immigration...

There isn't distinct "sets" of immigration, nor much to show great differences over the years. I can even quote the "Know Nothings" that disliked the immigrants of a hundred years ago. The Teddy Roosevelt quote attempted to be played today was rage against German immigrant behaviors he and others didn't like.

I though history was supposed to be ancient here, and not able to be used...

Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Yeah, somehow link it to illegal immigration...

There isn't distinct "sets" of immigration, nor much to show great differences over the years. I can even quote the "Know Nothings" that disliked the immigrants of a hundred years ago. The Teddy Roosevelt quote attempted to be played today was rage against German immigrant behaviors he and others didn't like.

You are wrong. There is a big difference between today's illegal immigrants and those immigrants who came here earlier, LEGALLY, I might add, since there were not yet any standard rules for immigration. Earlier waves of immigrants came here EXPECTING to work hard for the priviledge of living in the United States. The illegals, on the other hand work hard at EXPECTING us to feel priviledged by their uninvited and unwanted presence in our country and they work diligently to take as much free booty from our system as they can lie, cheat and steal for. They are greedy, often lazy and lack any self-respect or personal dignity. They are no better than a beggar on the street with his hand out and expecting it to be filled.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
YThe Teddy Roosevelt quote attempted to be played today was rage against German immigrant behaviors he and others didn't like.

Yeah, but were those "Germans" getting a free ride from us, taxpayers?

All I want to know is why the attitude they have when coming to this country is completely the opposite?!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Because they earlier waves of immigrants knew that they were going to have to work hard to obtain their dreams, just like any other American. There were no hand-outs waiting for them and they didn't expect any. Those earlier immigrants had too much pride to ask others to take care of their needs and it was a matter of great pride to be able to support your own family, even if you weren't rich. They didn't feel entitled, they felt priviledged to be here and showed their gratitude to this country through hard work and self-sufficiency. They also had dignity.
But my G-G-Grand Uncle came for the gold rush in the Black Hills (his ticket specified his intended destination as "Deadwood, Dakota", from back in Germany). His family was rich enough to send him on the Fulda, a luxury liner of the time. And it had that "chain migration" in there too, writing back for his brother and sister to join him a few years after.

When you study ancestry and family stories like I do, you'll find a big tendency to glorify ancestors and events...

Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
But my G-G-Grand Uncle came for the gold rush in the Black Hills (his ticket specified his intended destination as "Deadwood, Dakota", from back in Germany). His family was rich enough to send him on the Fulda, a luxury liner of the time. And it had that "chain migration" in there too, writing back for his brother and sister to join him a few years after.

When you study ancestry and family stories like I do, you'll find a big tendency to glorify ancestors and events...
Not everyone who came here was rich.

Take a look at the Irish and that country's situation when the masses arrived in the US.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
When I study ancestry and family stories? LOL! Been doing that for over 29 years and am not only considered an expert in my field, I also own and run a website in competition with Ancestry.com.

At least your ancestor intended to pan for his own gold instead of taking someone else's.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Not everyone who came here was rich.

Take a look at the Irish and that country's situation when the masses arrived in the US.
Damn straight! My dad's Irish ancestors were dirt poor but his mother eventually owned her own corner grocery store through HARD WORK, and her aunt earned a college diploma. I even have the original photo of her posing with it.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but were those "Germans" getting a free ride from us, taxpayers?
Openly displaying German flags and only speaking their native tongue was enough to get Teddy riled up. The comparisons are on legal immigrants, which by law, cannot qualify for most government aid for a period of five years. Focus your argument, you are the one mixing legal and illegal immigration into the same category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration