U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Once again I must point out that the issue is complicated by the fact that manyof you are in the North where Hispanics stick out like a sore thumb and the original poster is from Richadson, Texas where there are quite a few Hispanics. The general issue is different in different parts of the country.

I think it is extremely silly that the staff can't learn the word trash and where where I work many of the cleaning staff are Hispanic and they can learn better English and it is encouraged and they even let go the first cleaning woman who we all loved because she did not have a good grasp of English and could not take the classes and make enough progress with learning it.

Benicar where they would call a supervisor racists for encouraging the employees to learn English?
Are you serious? Aren’t all anti-illegal actions, or measures encouraging assimilation considered racism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Just called to check on my student loans for next semester and I was given the option 2 for Spanish on the telephone.

Just hope they know the word for pay it back...
That's ridiculous. Why would students need a Spanish telephone option if they are attending university and thus should be able to communicate in English?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 AM

840 posts, read 2,033,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is a portion of an e-mail that was forwarded to us from the building manager in our office...she received it from the property managers of our office building.

(Emphasis added by me.)

Basura? BASURA? Why can't we label it "trash"? Oh, that's right...because the janitors don't speak English. I bet you most of them are illegals.
Yeah, I can relate.....

I recently took a part time job in a retail store. The area I live in has a huge number of immigrants from all over the world. Why is it that Chinese, Indian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Syrian, Israeli, Colombian, and African immigrants can learn at least enough English to get by here while the illegals can't? In fact, one of the guys I work with is a Mexican immigrant who came here (legally) some years ago and became a citizen. I think he gets more pissed off at this phenomenon than the white folks do. He had to jump through all the hoops and do everything the right way, including, learning English.....

I don't begrudge anybody a shot at a better life, but I cannot fathom how someone would move to a different country and not even attempt to get a basic, working knowledge of the language...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Yeah, I can relate.....

I recently took a part time job in a retail store. The area I live in has a huge number of immigrants from all over the world. Why is it that Chinese, Indian, Laotian, Vietnamese, Syrian, Israeli, Colombian, and African immigrants can learn at least enough English to get by here while the illegals can't? In fact, one of the guys I work with is a Mexican immigrant who came here (legally) some years ago and became a citizen. I think he gets more pissed off at this phenomenon than the white folks do. He had to jump through all the hoops and do everything the right way, including, learning English.....

I don't begrudge anybody a shot at a better life, but I cannot fathom how someone would move to a different country and not even attempt to get a basic, working knowledge of the language...
I had a co-worker whose parents were Mexican and he also could NOT understand the laziness of his "own people" - as he put it. He would get more annoyed than me at the fact that they would just talk in the store and the first words to come out of their mouth were "Hablas Espanol?!" or most of the time they wouldn't even bother asking, they would just start talking to you like you were supposed to understand their language.
I never had a Russian do that. Or a Chinese. Or this lady I met from Africa.
NEVER.

Am I being racist? Nope, just stating facts.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,995,057 times
I'll just bottom line this plain and simple. 55% of the words in the English language come straight from Latin. Spanish speakers have the vocabulary to learn!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 5,852,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
Yeah, I can relate.....

YEP!!! I'm working in retail and meet people from all over the world. Relatively few don't speak English, and need to bring a family member to help.

I had a Muslim customer just yesterday. Full burka-type hijab with full face covering. I could only see her eyes, and the face covering even had the string along the nose to keep the veil up.

She had a heavy accent, but SPOKE ENGLISH! It was obvious that she learned English late-ish in life, I would say late teens or later, but I understood her perfectly. She even apologized for her 'bad' grammar. Why can't the Mexicans do that?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
...I had a Muslim customer just yesterday. Full burka-type hijab with full face covering. I could only see her eyes, and the face covering even had the string along the nose to keep the veil up.

She had a heavy accent, but SPOKE ENGLISH! It was obvious that she learned English late-ish in life, I would say late teens or later, but I understood her perfectly...
An Arab that gestures that they don't understand basic English is either elderly or a liar. Typically anyone that is immersed in the U.S. below the age of about 13 will not retain any accent. How were you able to tell her age?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM

167 posts, read 206,991 times
Quote:
This is a portion of an e-mail that was forwarded to us from the building manager in our office...she received it from the property managers of our office building.

(Emphasis added by me.)

Basura? BASURA? Why can't we label it "trash"? Oh, that's right...because the janitors don't speak English. I bet you most of them are illegals.
Quote:
I will be reporting this to ICE today. They, of course, will do nothing.
Maybe you could try to file a police report with the local police department. It's worth a try.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
An Arab that gestures that they don't understand basic English is either elderly or a liar. Typically anyone that is immersed in the U.S. below the age of about 13 will not retain any accent. How were you able to tell her age?
Because girls and older women sound differently?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,464,108 times
I find it odd that a company would have the need to label garbage. I've never worked anywhere where I've seen garbage labeled. I've seen cans or bins labeled, for recycling purposes, but not the actual trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or