U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:56 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times

Advertisements

I work at a place where supposedly people are supposed to know English, but everyone speaks Spanish, even at meetings, because most of the staff is Hispanic. They celebrated Cinco de Mayo by bringing in food and having a party.

I refuse to speak Spanish, learn Spanish...and why were we having a Cinco De Mayo party at an office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 AM

11,536 posts, read 8,462,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I work at a place where supposedly people are supposed to know English, but everyone speaks Spanish, even at meetings, because most of the staff is Hispanic. They celebrated Cinco de Mayo by bringing in food and having a party.

I refuse to speak Spanish, learn Spanish...and why were we having a Cinco De Mayo party at an office?
That's odd, I don't know one Hispanic who celebrates Cinco De Mayo. I've been to Mexico dozens of times literally, and I have never met anyone who celebrates Cinco De Mayo. More often than not, people who celebrate Cinco de mayo are frat boys, perhaps you should ask them.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I find it odd that a company would have the need to label garbage. I've never worked anywhere where I've seen garbage labeled. I've seen cans or bins labeled, for recycling purposes, but not the actual trash.
Thank you! What adult doesn’t recognize trash or a trash can? If they are working as janitors and can’t discern trash, they should not be hired.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,859,367 times
This is certainly interesting. Requiring people to use the Spanish language is perfectly acceptable. However, requiring people to use the English language....not so much

When English Is the Rule at Work - New York Times

Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
This is certainly interesting. Requiring people to use the Spanish language is perfectly acceptable. However, requiring people to use the English language....not so much

When English Is the Rule at Work - New York Times
I assume that most job interviews are conducted in English in most "regular" American based jobs (not ethnic businesses) so why would a hiree be speaking in Spanish or any other foreign langauge on the job after they get hired?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:58 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,955,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I will be reporting this to ICE today. They, of course, will do nothing.
You're absolutely right. They will do NOTHING. Do it anonymously, BTW, so that YOUR name doesn't get put on a list.

BTW, be sure you can lock your computer, and that the pass code is known only by you. Too many people discover that cleaning staff has been going to bad places on their computers, at night.

And be sure that nothing containing personal information; especially not your Social Security number...but even your date of birth... or pieces of mail with personal information.... nothing like that should be left around, anymore, at your place of work.

Plenty of small offices are having their employees volunteer to do the janitorial work themselves (how much work can cleaning up your own space be?), rather than cope with the security risks that come with these cleaning services.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild1957 View Post
I've noticed a lot of employment ads lately for landscaping, janitorial, restoration cleaning, etc... requesting Spanish speaking applicants. Besides reporting to just ICE, you can also report bad employers to this site also:

WeHireAliens.com--Illegal Alien Employer Database brought to you by the FIRE Coalition
It's becoming code word especially in areas with significant Black populations to request Spanish speakers. That way they eliminate Blacks from the applicant pool.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What's worse is that many of them have been in this country 20-30 years and have made no effort to learn even a couple words of English.

And it's interesting that food stamps and WIC coupons don't have to be printed in Spanish although I suspect they soon will be.
Not necessary. They all understand 'DOLLARS.'

Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's becoming code word especially in areas with significant Black populations to request Spanish speakers. That way they eliminate Blacks from the applicant pool.
Not just Black people. Many Mexican Americans, etc. who DONT speak Spanish like me are out too.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAguy View Post
Maybe you could try to file a police report with the local police department. It's worth a try.
Waste of time...Dallas is a sanctuary city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
You're absolutely right. They will do NOTHING. Do it anonymously, BTW, so that YOUR name doesn't get put on a list.

BTW, be sure you can lock your computer, and that the pass code is known only by you. Too many people discover that cleaning staff has been going to bad places on their computers, at night.

And be sure that nothing containing personal information; especially not your Social Security number...but even your date of birth... or pieces of mail with personal information.... nothing like that should be left around, anymore, at your place of work.

Plenty of small offices are having their employees volunteer to do the janitorial work themselves (how much work can cleaning up your own space be?), rather than cope with the security risks that come with these cleaning services.
Excellent advice that I already follow and have for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or