Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,150 times

Advertisements

I asked waaaayyy back "Benicar where they would call a supervisor racists for encouraging the employees to learn English?"
and he answered.
"Are you serious? Aren’t all anti-illegal actions, or measures encouraging assimilation considered racism?"

No, maybe it seems that way on first looking at some things but as far as for example education in Texas. Texas bilingual school is all about assimilation to English.

I think many who want to prove some point have used the name of some things to gain support for them by using incorrect info and have said bilingual schooling here is done to help the kids maintain their language but that is not true. The goal is to become English speaking as fast as possible ( I think within 2 years) and it is not racist. It is not considered racist here-it is needed and makes sense to all.

Likewise many companies encourage their employees to learn better English and tons do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I asked waaaayyy back "Benicar where they would call a supervisor racists for encouraging the employees to learn English?"
and he answered.
"Are you serious? Aren’t all anti-illegal actions, or measures encouraging assimilation considered racism?"

No, maybe it seems that way on first looking at some things but as far as for example education in Texas. Texas bilingual school is all about assimilation to English.

I think many who want to prove some point have used the name of some things to gain support for them by using incorrect info and have said bilingual schooling here is done to help the kids maintain their language but that is not true. The goal is to become English speaking as fast as possible ( I think within 2 years) and it is not racist. It is not considered racist here-it is needed and makes sense to all.

Likewise many companies encourage their employees to learn better English and tons do here.
Some schools and I believe some are in Texas are requiring English speaking students to learn Spanish. What for since you say that it is being encouraged for Spanish speakers to learn English?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Some schools and I believe some are in Texas are requiring English speaking students to learn Spanish. What for since you say that it is being encouraged for Spanish speakers to learn English?
Define "required", because that doesn't even make sense in your world. Back on-topic, I'm interested if the original story gained any closure. What about it, OP, has anything happened since you brought it up here?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM

154 posts, read 454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Not just Black people. Many Mexican Americans, etc. who DONT speak Spanish like me are out too.

That’s what happen to uneducated people. If you were educated you would not have to worry about losing your job, to uneducated Mexicans who don’t even speak English, there must be something good about their work ethics since they keep on getting picked over you.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Define "required", because that doesn't even make sense in your world. Back on-topic, I'm interested if the original story gained any closure. What about it, OP, has anything happened since you brought it up here?
Mandatory School Spanish Classes Anger Texas Parents | Fox News

Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
That’s what happen to uneducated people. If you were educated you would not have to worry about losing your job, to uneducated Mexicans who don’t even speak English, there must be something good about their work ethics since they keep on getting picked over you.
It wouldn't have anything to do with these greedy employers hiring them for lower wages to increase their profits, would it? Naw, Americans are just uneducated idiots who can't compete with all those hard working Mexicans. How did we ever build such a great country without all those illegal Mexicans that weren't even here decades ago?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM

So it really isn't limited to Spanish, but rather a mandatory second language program?:

Quote:
Texas requires second language instruction for elementary and middle-school students, Star-Telegram reports. Most schools choose Spanish instruction, but other languages are acceptable for the policy.
All of the articles on this are over five years ago, with only one parent ("Leigh Allison") listed as opposing it (and her daughter Ashleigh being allowed to learn French instead), with the Grapevine-Colleyville School District "currently [five years ago] reviewing the policy"...

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Ok; I can't speak for Erik Cortez but, the language of the US is English, NOT Spanish. Maybe not "official" but NOT knowing English will keep a person down. MOST Mexican people here legally ain't uneducated and most speak English.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So it really isn't limited to Spanish, but rather a mandatory second language program?:

All of the articles on this are over five years ago, with only one parent ("Leigh Allison") listed as opposing it (and her daughter Ashleigh being allowed to learn French instead), with the Grapevine-Colleyville School District "currently [five years ago] reviewing the policy"...
"A Texas school district is reviewing its second-language requirement after concerns over students being forced to learn SPANISH, according to reports."

"Some parents at Timberline Elementary School in Grapevine, Texas, are outraged their children have to take SPANISH as a mandatory second-language requirement, MyFOXDFW.com reported."

"The Grapevine-Colleyville School District is reviewing its language policy after more than 15 years of SPANISH instruction."

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
"A Texas school district is reviewing its second-language requirement after concerns over students being forced to learn SPANISH, according to reports."

"Some parents at Timberline Elementary School in Grapevine, Texas, are outraged their children have to take SPANISH as a mandatory second-language requirement, MyFOXDFW.com reported."

"The Grapevine-Colleyville School District is reviewing its language policy after more than 15 years of SPANISH instruction."
According to current information on their website, the program requires the permission of the parent(s)...

Problem solved...

Let's get back on topic about those janitors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration