U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2013, 09:52 PM
 
154 posts, read 335,283 times
Reputation: 100

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with these greedy employers hiring them for lower wages to increase their profits, would it? Naw, Americans are just uneducated idiots who can't compete with all those hard working Mexicans. How did we ever build such a great country without all those illegal Mexicans that weren't even here decades ago?
First it was the black slaves, then the Chinese, the Irish, the Italians. And last the Mexicans. There has been Mexicans in the American southwest before any English got here. Mexicans made los Angeles, san Francisco, phoenix and many other cities, and you say that Mexicans weren’t here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM
 
154 posts, read 335,283 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with these greedy employers hiring them for lower wages to increase their profits, would it? Naw, Americans are just uneducated idiots who can't compete with all those hard working Mexicans. How did we ever build such a great country without all those illegal Mexicans that weren't even here decades ago?
Now i know our past generations build this great country with the help of geniuses imported from other countries, and many born here. But why do you say we?, and take credit for their accomplishment?. have you build anything, the day you do let us know. Have you done something for America other than going to work and getting paid for it? What do you think makes you so special?, just because you were lucky enough to be born here. To American capitalism you are just another pawn that can be discarded for something more efficient and less expensive. You sound like a fascist socialist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So it really isn't limited to Spanish, but rather a mandatory second language program?:



All of the articles on this are over five years ago, with only one parent ("Leigh Allison") listed as opposing it (and her daughter Ashleigh being allowed to learn French instead), with the Grapevine-Colleyville School District "currently [five years ago] reviewing the policy"...
Wrong. They have a mandatory foreign language requirement and then offer only one foreign lanauge which of course is Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I asked waaaayyy back "Benicar where they would call a supervisor racists for encouraging the employees to learn English?"
and he answered.
"Are you serious? Aren’t all anti-illegal actions, or measures encouraging assimilation considered racism?"

No, maybe it seems that way on first looking at some things but as far as for example education in Texas. Texas bilingual school is all about assimilation to English.

I think many who want to prove some point have used the name of some things to gain support for them by using incorrect info and have said bilingual schooling here is done to help the kids maintain their language but that is not true. The goal is to become English speaking as fast as possible ( I think within 2 years) and it is not racist. It is not considered racist here-it is needed and makes sense to all.

Likewise many companies encourage their employees to learn better English and tons do here.
The goal in many school districts in Texas is NOT to become proficient in English but to keep kids speaking "their own country's language" which is Spanish.

Here's a perfect example of the idiocy that is taking place -- and an upset parent.

Parents fear their students may fail because they don't speak... | www.kfoxtv.com

Gutierrez said what's before her now is not basic and it's hurting her confidence in school.

"She felt horrible. She felt like she did something horribly wrong," he said. "I think maybe the school district needs to rethink how they approach this matter. For my daughter to fail the third grade because she can't take a Spanish test that has nothing to do with Spanish is ridiculous."

Other parents told KFOX 14 they feel the same way. One parent said at the end of last school year, her son didn't receive any awards because he didn't excel in classes taught in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Wrong. They have a mandatory foreign language requirement and then offer only one foreign lanauge which of course is Spanish.
Which the parent(s), as in the example of the five year-old articles, can opt-out or specify a different language...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The goal in many school districts in Texas is NOT to become proficient in English but to keep kids speaking "their own country's language" which is Spanish.

Here's a perfect example of the idiocy that is taking place -- and an upset parent.

Parents fear their students may fail because they don't speak... | www.kfoxtv.com

Gutierrez said what's before her now is not basic and it's hurting her confidence in school.

"She felt horrible. She felt like she did something horribly wrong," he said. "I think maybe the school district needs to rethink how they approach this matter. For my daughter to fail the third grade because she can't take a Spanish test that has nothing to do with Spanish is ridiculous."

Other parents told KFOX 14 they feel the same way. One parent said at the end of last school year, her son didn't receive any awards because he didn't excel in classes taught in Spanish.
Quote:
[Spokesperson Daniel] Escobar said the school is a school of choice, meaning if parents don't like the program, their student can go to a neighboring school and transportation will be provided.
Problem solved...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1,017 posts, read 553,174 times
Reputation: 1626
We have been labeling office trash with "Basura" signs since the late 1990's. But then, the Bay Area is comprised of sanctuary cities, so why not? We're pretty much using Spanish right along with English. Won't be long before "press number one for Spanish and number two for English" is de rigeur in these here parts.

Such a shame, such a darn shame. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Problem solved...
Obviously that's not what the parents were told. They are complaining about this program for a reason -- why would kids in the USA be tested in Spanish for courses that are not actually Spanish language or Spanish lit courses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
First it was the black slaves, then the Chinese, the Irish, the Italians. And last the Mexicans. There has been Mexicans in the American southwest before any English got here. Mexicans made los Angeles, san Francisco, phoenix and many other cities, and you say that Mexicans weren’t here.
You need to brush up on your history. It was from the Spanish who came here from Europe where those cities got their Spanish names, not Mexican names. Where did I say that Mexicans didn't come here later? You are also confusing the legal immigration of the Irish, Italians,etc. with illegal immigration from Mexico today and that is the objection.

Last edited by Oldglory; 02-20-2013 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 AM
 
31,488 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Reputation: 8354
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedstatian View Post
Now i know our past generations build this great country with the help of geniuses imported from other countries, and many born here. But why do you say we?, and take credit for their accomplishment?. have you build anything, the day you do let us know. Have you done something for America other than going to work and getting paid for it? What do you think makes you so special?, just because you were lucky enough to be born here. To American capitalism you are just another pawn that can be discarded for something more efficient and less expensive. You sound like a fascist socialist.
We have immigration laws and employers don't have the right to hire illegal immigrants because they are "supposedly" more efficient and less expensive. What part of that aren't you getting? I worked all my life so stop with the personal attacks. My ancestors contributed to the building of this nation just like many others did. They also came here legally. The objection is to illegal immigration into our country. What part of that aren't you also getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top