Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Not true. Here in Mass they have signs in Spanish all over the WIC office as well as interpreters. WIC brochures are printed in Spanish and Portuguese up here.

I am almost 100% positive they also have SNAP ( food stamps ) brochures in Spanish. They no longer have coupons as far as I know. At least not here in MA. WIC gives you checks and those are in English.

I still think it is BS. We all know why they have them in different languages. I doubt they are catering to legal immigrants...
That's true - they require welfare workers here to speak Spanish and the Mexican radio advertises food stamps, WIC, and Medicaid in Spanish - as though those programs need advertisements.

But the Lone Star Card I think still has Lone Star in English. Estrella unica? or Estrella Sola? I should look for that.

I know that WIC is now pronounced "weak". But they haven't changed it to MIT for mujeres, infantes tarjeta --- yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Here ya go

SendTheTaxman.com--Report Illegal Alien Employers to the IRS; brought to you by the FIRE Coalition

Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Have you reported them or are you content to whine about it
I agree. Sorry. Report them.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I really liked this website. I am going to investigate a little more and if I find they seem okay, I am going to donate. A lot of time and effort went into this. I will say that some of the links are not good. One looks kind of like a questionable dating site.....?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I really liked this website. I am going to investigate a little more and if I find they seem okay, I am going to donate. A lot of time and effort went into this. I will say that some of the links are not good. One looks kind of like a questionable dating site.....?
Could be. I like the idea of going after the employers on a tax basis. The IRS don't monkey around.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I agree. Sorry. Report them.
Gawd, I only got the e-mail THIS MORNING...it's not like this has been going on for months and I've been whining about it every day since Christmas.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is a portion of an e-mail that was forwarded to us from the building manager in our office...she received it from the property managers of our office building.

(Emphasis added by me.)

Basura? BASURA? Why can't we label it "trash"? Oh, that's right...because the janitors don't speak English. I bet you most of them are illegals.
It seems like the building is poorly managed. I never heard of any company labeling garbage, even in English.

It would be easier to teach the janitors how to read word "trash" I don't know a lick of Russian, but I'm pretty sure I could learn the Russian word for trash in a day, especially if it was part of my job. I once worked with Filipino nurses and they would teach me words all the time. I still remember almost all of them.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It seems like the building is poorly managed. I never heard of any company labeling garbage, even in English.

It would be easier to teach the janitors how to read word "trash" I don't know a lick of Russian, but I'm pretty sure I could learn the Russian word for trash in a day, especially if it was part of my job. I once worked with Filipino nurses and they would teach me words all the time. I still remember almost all of them.
That would indeed make more sense. Sadly, if management expected them to learn even one word of English, they would be accused of being racists, nativists, and xenophobes; and, the ACLU would sue. It is much more politically correct to simply coddle them.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:11 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Once again I must point out that the issue is complicated by the fact that manyof you are in the North where Hispanics stick out like a sore thumb and the original poster is from Richadson, Texas where there are quite a few Hispanics. The general issue is different in different parts of the country.

I think it is extremely silly that the staff can't learn the word trash and where where I work many of the cleaning staff are Hispanic and they can learn better English and it is encouraged and they even let go the first cleaning woman who we all loved because she did not have a good grasp of English and could not take the classes and make enough progress with learning it.

Benicar where they would call a supervisor racists for encouraging the employees to learn English?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Just called to check on my student loans for next semester and I was given the option 2 for Spanish on the telephone.

Just hope they know the word for pay it back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration