U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

NWV News - Illegal farm labor produces big profits, but no consumer savings

The widely accepted use of illegal aliens as laborers by large agricultural businesses results in huge profits for corporate farms and executives, but is not beneficial to consumers who continue to see rising prices at the supermarket checkout, according to a report released Wednesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Reputation: 26668
Surprise surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 05:03 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
That should be a wake up for tax payers that keep hearing their lettuce prices will rise if we don't have peasants picking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Soaring food prices while there are more illegals than ever before tell the real story. Soaring welfare program costs do also.

Many of these people are brought in, paid so little that they could never begin to feed their very large families but they don't have to worry about supporting the children they produce here as the taxpayers will have that responsibility. They can send any cash back to family back home and live like kings and queens with all the free health care and food stamps and WIC and free government housing. They only need to send cash back home until they have brought over the extended family to be supported by taxpayers here.

The employers have the advantage of unlimited cheap labor that is heavily subsidized by the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
NWV News - Illegal farm labor produces big profits, but no consumer savings

The widely accepted use of illegal aliens as laborers by large agricultural businesses results in huge profits for corporate farms and executives, but is not beneficial to consumers who continue to see rising prices at the supermarket checkout, according to a report released Wednesday.
Thanks for posting this article. I am so sick of hearing about the $10/head of lettuce BS if we dare enforce our laws. Anyone who buys groceries should know that illegals have not reduced the price of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
But it's really a myth in the first place that 30 million or more illegals are here doing farm work.

Fewer than 1 million, more like a quarter of a million illegals - around 250,000 are here as farm workers.

There are only around 1 million jobs in agriculture and agricultural jobs are on the decline and very obviously do not justify the non-stop flood of people coming over the border. And with those roughly 1 million total agricultural jobs, only about 25% of them are held by illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 07:10 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,647,268 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But it's really a myth in the first place that 30 million or more illegals are here doing farm work.
I went to a farm a few miles from my house and was shocked to see Americans working there. Because according to the liberals, the illegals are doing the jobs Americans won't do.

I almost wanted to ask them who they think they were taking jobs away from illegal aliens. Those bastards!

I am also shocked to see another group of Americans mowing their own laws in my neighborhood. They are so heartless. There are so many illegal aliens who want to come here and have a better life and the Americans are taking away their jobs.

Who the heck do they think they are? Damn Americans.....

People who truly believe illegal aliens are doing the jobs the Americans won't do are either stupid or delusional... or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Reputation: 27519
I am glad you qualified those farms as the "corporate farms".
BigAg in bed with Uncle Sam..who would have thought ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I went to a farm a few miles from my house and was shocked to see Americans working there. Because according to the liberals, the illegals are doing the jobs Americans won't do.

I almost wanted to ask them who they think they were taking jobs away from illegal aliens. Those bastards!

I am also shocked to see another group of Americans mowing their own laws in my neighborhood. They are so heartless. There are so many illegal aliens who want to come here and have a better life and the Americans are taking away their jobs.

Who the heck do they think they are? Damn Americans.....

People who truly believe illegal aliens are doing the jobs the Americans won't do are either stupid or delusional... or both.
I think some city people are so disconnected with how farms are, that they believe there are 30 million jobs in agriculture and they actually believe only illegals will do that kind of work. There are not 30 million jobs in farming, there are only around 1 million. Many more illegals live off welfare handouts than actually work for their living on farms.

Now those of us who actually know something about farming and farmers, we realize that some of those tractors they use have enclosed cabs, air conditioning, comfortable seats, CD players and are perfectly fine jobs for the Americans who do them. I've seen plenty of American farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top