U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Illinois...for now
108 posts, read 134,299 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Good luck in your quest for new employment. It sounds like you would be better off somewhere else. Jobs are hard to come by these days. At least the good ones are.
That is the only reason I am still here Well, that and because my husband can't work because his trade went Mexican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,465 posts, read 7,555,950 times
Reputation: 12140
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
That is the only reason I am still here Well, that and because my husband can't work because his trade went Mexican
Could you elaborate on the blue part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 PM
 
187 posts, read 151,783 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
At the senior center that I go to there are a few of Mexican ancestry there that don't speak English and they also have been here for decades. From what I have been told they are here legally. What's up with that?
I understand the fear of many in the usa about not being able to understand another language, heck, often times subtitles are used for british or australian people since our fellow americans can not understand, the reasons Spanish is so predominant in the usa as a second language are many, including the fact that spanish has been spoken in the usa for more than a century before english, the good thing is that more and more students engage in spanish at school, it is only beneficial to learn another language, and in our case spanish is the best option....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I understand the fear of many in the usa about not being able to understand another language, heck, often times subtitles are used for british or australian people since our fellow americans can not understand, the reasons Spanish is so predominant in the usa as a second language are many, including the fact that spanish has been spoken in the usa for more than a century before english, the good thing is that more and more students engage in spanish at school, it is only beneficial to learn another language, and in our case spanish is the best option....
It was not America When the Spanish arrived. It was just territory.
They colonized the southern hemisphere.

England arrived here with English settlers.

There were English colonies. Not Spanish.

We set the borders & language of the country.

Now the Spanish want to invade two continents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
I understand the fear of many in the usa about not being able to understand another language, heck, often times subtitles are used for british or australian people since our fellow americans can not understand, the reasons Spanish is so predominant in the usa as a second language are many, including the fact that spanish has been spoken in the usa for more than a century before english, the good thing is that more and more students engage in spanish at school, it is only beneficial to learn another language, and in our case spanish is the best option....
That doesn't explain or address my remarks why when someone has been in this country for decades that they still don't speak English which IS the de facto language of this country, not Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
 
187 posts, read 151,783 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It was not America When the Spanish arrived. It was just territory.
They colonized the southern hemisphere.

England arrived here with English settlers.

There were English colonies. Not Spanish.

We set the borders & language of the country.

Now the Spanish want to invade two continents
"America" is just a name given to the new world continents, the terriotories remain the same, so the fact remains that spanish settlers have lived in what we call usa for much longer than any other european settlement. The term united states of america, is a rather non specific geographical name, that unfortunatelly lacks identity and is quite confusing, because the "american " territory extends from northern canada to argentina. The usa is a defacto bilingual territory....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,242,105 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
"America" is just a name given to the new world continents, the terriotories remain the same, so the fact remains that spanish settlers have lived in what we call usa for much longer than any other european settlement. The term united states of america, is a rather non specific geographical name, that unfortunatelly lacks identity and is quite confusing, because the "american " territory extends from northern canada to argentina. The usa is a defacto bilingual territory....
The US is not a de facto bilingual country. The de facto national language is English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
"America" is just a name given to the new world continents, the terriotories remain the same, so the fact remains that spanish settlers have lived in what we call usa for much longer than any other european settlement. The term united states of america, is a rather non specific geographical name, that unfortunatelly lacks identity and is quite confusing, because the "american " territory extends from northern canada to argentina. The usa is a defacto bilingual territory....
Non-Spanish Europeans outnumbered the Spanish Europeans after awhile and English was made the de facto language by the majority. It matters not what language was spoken first within the borders of this country. The Spanish only occupied parts of the USA while the non-Spanish occupied the majority of it. No, we are not a bi-lingual territory we are mono-lingual country with other languages spoken in it. Some were spoken earlier and some later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
 
1,759 posts, read 1,696,885 times
Reputation: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
it is only beneficial to learn another language, and in our case spanish is the best option....
I absolutely agree that learning a 2nd, even 3rd language is nothing but beneficial. One of the things that learning a foreign language (esp at an earlier age) has been shown to do is increase the number of synapses in one's brain, thus making it easier for information to travel more quickly.

However, Spanish is only the "best" option for those applying for the endless jobs that encouring Spanish speakers, and the reason they encourage Spanish speakers is to communicate with those here illegally, kitchen staff, cleaning staff, etc. Sounds harsh but how can one dispute that?

For business purposes, travel purposes, jobs that are not low-level, etc. there are many languages that fit the bill: Mandarin, Japanese, French, Italian ... and how I wish Latin were still taught in schools, as it help you understand the Western European languages (yes, including Spanish) as well as the roots in a lot of words adapted in English.

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 05-12-2011 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
I find it strange that most who defend the Spanish language had it forced on their tribal ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top