U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:23 AM

108 posts, read 135,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
M 53-year old cousin is a construction worker. He has the same problem. The boss hires a bunch of illegals because they are cheap. Problem is, they are not properly trained. You don't ever want to buy a house that they build.

He told us a story of a deck he was supposed to build with his his friend's company. The homeowner got cheap and hired a bunch of illegals instead. Nothing was plumb or squared properly and the deck wasn't built to support the weight correctly. The owners ended up having to hire my cousin's group to fix it. They had to tear everything down and start all over. It cost 3 times what it would have.
We see this all the time. There are guys with "company trucks" that haven't worked at all this year, but their companies are out there on the job. Figure that out!

We are in the middle of a highway construction project that is fixing the same section of road that they have done for the last 2 years - this is the same section year 3!! Hire the guys who know how to do the job right the 1st time and pay for it once. When will they catch on??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM

268 posts, read 342,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
M 53-year old cousin is a construction worker. He has the same problem. The boss hires a bunch of illegals because they are cheap. Problem is, they are not properly trained. You don't ever want to buy a house that they build.

He told us a story of a deck he was supposed to build with his his friend's company. The homeowner got cheap and hired a bunch of illegals instead. Nothing was plumb or squared properly and the deck wasn't built to support the weight correctly. The owners ended up having to hire my cousin's group to fix it. They had to tear everything down and start all over. It cost 3 times what it would have.
Why do you think Walmart is the #1 retailer. Cheap crap is king. After 25 years of cabinet making I have seen wages driven into the dirt. When I started gas was $1.25 a gallon, a gallon of milk was around $2.00.
The cost of living has gone up and wages have gone down thanks to an endless flood of cheap labor and American greed.

-Last of the white cabinet makers

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM

33,133 posts, read 30,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The Germans didn't come here illegally for one thing and where is your proof that most of them didn't learn English? How many of them came here? Was it comparable to the number of illegal alien Spanish speaker here today?

I don't recall reading that German was required to get hired at most jobs back then either.
I hear, "press 2 for German" all the time.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM

48 posts, read 55,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
At the senior center that I go to there are a few of Mexican ancestry there that don't speak English and they also have been here for decades. From what I have been told they are here legally. What's up with that?
My Dr told me that he stopped taking patients that requested him to fill out immigration papers stating they had mental problems that kept them from learning English. He said he had many people coming in asking for the same diagnosis. Didn't take him too long to catch on.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

33,133 posts, read 30,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild1957 View Post
My Dr told me that he stopped taking patients that requested him to fill out immigration papers stating they had mental problems that kept them from learning English. He said he had many people coming in asking for the same diagnosis. Didn't take him too long to catch on.

diagnosis for stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or