U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2011, 07:25 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do all the open borders groups say they will learn English if immigration reform is pass?
Because they don't mind lying.

Just like the open borders groups demanding the Dream Act will say all these students are straight A students brought in as newborn infants and never learned any Spanish and have no family members at all back in their own country - when in fact many were smuggled in at ages 12-16, speak no English, are terrible students. The Dream Act doesn't require good grades, doesn't require anything of the illegal and in fact includes those who just get a GED but also the reason they want it for college students is that it means they get the financial aid ahead of American students.

Also just like pretty much all of us know what works like "adios" or "manana" mean - we could say we know Spanish. They can get all the illegals to learn one or two words in English and then claim they know English.

If someone has lived here for more than 2 or 3 months and cannot speak the language well enough yet even just to apply for food stamps, they aren't going to find the motivation to start later when they've been given their easy citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Reputation: 2086
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do all the open borders groups say they will learn English if immigration reform is pass?
I dont know. Why do illegals that have been here 10 years or more still not know how to speak English? Because they dont think they should have to. America caters to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Maryland
18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Reputation: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Because they are delusional.

If they are granted amnesty, they will not assimilate. They don't want to. It is not in their plans. Some of them have been in the US for 10, 20, 30 years and have yet to learn English! Do these people really think they're just going to do it now? Yeah, right.
The dream of many Immigrants is to retire back home. The little dirty secret is that many of today's immigrants loathe America and it's people. They just see it as a place to get rich.

Even during the romanticized Ellis Island years it's estimated half of the immigrants that passed through went back home for good at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The dream of many Immigrants is to retire back home. The little dirty secret is that many of today's immigrants loathe America and it's people. They just see it as a place to get rich.

Even during the romanticized Ellis Island years it's estimated half of the immigrants that passed through went back home for good at some point.
That's only their dream when they're first putting their stuff in some backpack and heading north. Their minds then are filled with visions of making it really big, getting filthy rich and coming back to the village to own the most pompous mansion and have lots of servants.

After they are here and start realizing that isn't really going to be the case because they never bothered to save up any money, forgot to plan for that lavish retirement, didn't invest in a 401K, they start wanting their US citizenship after all so that they can get generous social security checks even if they never paid into that program, or at least get a hefty SSI check and Medicaid, and food stamps and everything else the government gives them to make their retirement years golden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
As others have stated, there is absolutely no incentive for illegals to learn English, or assimilate in any manner. Legalization would only serve to embolden them. Why should they learn English, given that EVERYTHING is offered in Spanish? The message is clear: Come here illegally and you will be accommodated. The message MUST change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Saying they will learn English will only appease a few.

Everything is already in their language. They just refuse to learn it or speak it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,139 posts, read 1,009,419 times
Reputation: 1462
Please tell me your ethnic ancestry and whether is also bothers you that you can go to Fredricksburg Texas and still hear people speak Czech or German?

These German immigrants came here 100 years ago and still preserve their language. They call it Tex-Deutch. Many others of European descent legal and illegal still speak their native language. It is a nice thing why try and tear apart every cultural thing you can think of? Your focusing on these small things are what ultimately makes many of you seem really ridiculous. Every country in every part of the world has some parts that speak other languages within it-its called normal, not liberal even.
As I keep mentioning in the Southwest the original language before English was Spanish so you are just becoing aware of something we already know about. Read more about history and you will see it is not the same here. You make me feel strongly maybe states rights would not be so bad for some things. It would get you all out of our culture which you do not "get". Our governor Perry (a jerk in my opinion) understands that Arizona type laws will not work here in Texas. Even he "gets" it. Even Arizona's immigrant laws are an odd match for the South.

The kind of cultural embarrassment about being other than Anglo is what made my husband grow up not learning a lick of Spanish from his parents and I will tell it is not good. The native Americans were here before the whites why are you not whining about all of us not learning Native American languages? It makes as much sense as your arguements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post

These German immigrants came here 100 years ago and still preserve their language. They call it Tex-Deutch. Many others of European descent legal and illegal still speak their native language.
Please tell me how we cater to them.

I don't press 2 for German, do you?! Do you press 2 for Japanese, Chinese, Russian, Korean?!

That is what people are fed up with. The fact that so many come over here and they do not even bother to learn the language.

My dad learned English. So did the rest of my relatives.

GET IT?!

Quote:
The kind of cultural embarrassment about being other than Anglo.
Drop the race card. It is old and overused. I would still be P'off if I had to cater to Swedish folks. Or to Norwegian folks. It is not about the language. It is about the CATERING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
Reputation: 2199
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Please tell me your ethnic ancestry and whether is also bothers you that you can go to Fredricksburg Texas and still hear people speak Czech or German?

These German immigrants came here 100 years ago and still preserve their language. They call it Tex-Deutch. Many others of European descent legal and illegal still speak their native language. It is a nice thing why try and tear apart every cultural thing you can think of? Your focusing on these small things are what ultimately makes many of you seem really ridiculous. Every country in every part of the world has some parts that speak other languages within it-its called normal, not liberal even.
As I keep mentioning in the Southwest the original language before English was Spanish so you are just becoing aware of something we already know about. Read more about history and you will see it is not the same here. You make me feel strongly maybe states rights would not be so bad for some things. It would get you all out of our culture which you do not "get". Our governor Perry (a jerk in my opinion) understands that Arizona type laws will not work here in Texas. Even he "gets" it. Even Arizona's immigrant laws are an odd match for the South.

The kind of cultural embarrassment about being other than Anglo is what made my husband grow up not learning a lick of Spanish from his parents and I will tell it is not good. The native Americans were here before the whites why are you not whining about all of us not learning Native American languages? It makes as much sense as your arguements.
Most Germans I know speak English, the majority have assimilated and they are American, not German.

You don't see Germans in the street demanding rights, asking for everything in their language,

What you see is Telemundo, & many other things in Spanish and forcing Americans to speak Spanish.

America was an English colony, not German, French or Spanish. The English set the borders & language of this country.

If you come here there is room for one flag & one language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
 
959 posts, read 1,114,291 times
Reputation: 363
My Filipino girlfriend has been living in the U.S for only 2 years, and her grasp of the English language is better most Hispanic immigrants who have been living in the U.S for over a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top