U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,648,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
My Filipino girlfriend has been living in the U.S for only 2 years, and her grasp of the English language is better than that of most Hispanic immigrants who have been living in the U.S for over a decade.
Lemme tell ya something: I grew up speaking Portuguese because I lived in a country where Portuguese was spoken. I was a toddler when I was taken to live in South America with my grandparents. I didn't speak English until I was a teen. As a matter of fact I couldn't even remember what the word "cat" meant. I had to start from scratch. I learned English on my own while living in a country where it was not spoken. Thank God for MTV, American magazines and an English/Portuguese dictionary. Those were my sources. For the longest time all I could do was write in English. I still have a hard time pronouncing certain words sometimes but I get a kick out of it because I can communicate and express myself in English just fine. I am proud of that.

There is no reason why these so-called immigrants who "just want a better life" cannot do the same while living HERE. They don't learn it because they do not want to. Part of succeeding in a foreign country is learning the language spoken in that country. They don't want to succeed. They want to mooch off the taxpayers and send money back home. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Please tell me your ethnic ancestry and whether is also bothers you that you can go to Fredricksburg Texas and still hear people speak Czech or German?

These German immigrants came here 100 years ago and still preserve their language. They call it Tex-Deutch. Many others of European descent legal and illegal still speak their native language. It is a nice thing why try and tear apart every cultural thing you can think of? Your focusing on these small things are what ultimately makes many of you seem really ridiculous. Every country in every part of the world has some parts that speak other languages within it-its called normal, not liberal even.
As I keep mentioning in the Southwest the original language before English was Spanish so you are just becoing aware of something we already know about. Read more about history and you will see it is not the same here. You make me feel strongly maybe states rights would not be so bad for some things. It would get you all out of our culture which you do not "get". Our governor Perry (a jerk in my opinion) understands that Arizona type laws will not work here in Texas. Even he "gets" it. Even Arizona's immigrant laws are an odd match for the South.

The kind of cultural embarrassment about being other than Anglo is what made my husband grow up not learning a lick of Spanish from his parents and I will tell it is not good. The native Americans were here before the whites why are you not whining about all of us not learning Native American languages? It makes as much sense as your arguements.
I don't have a problem with "immigrants" or citizens retaining their native tongues at home. However, when out in mainstream American in the name of cohesiveness and respect for our nation's language (and it doesn't matter what languages were spoken first here) one should be speaking English.

What does Arizona type laws have to do with this?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 5,996,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont know. Why do illegals that have been here 10 years or more still not know how to speak English? Because they dont think they should have to. America caters to them.
So true!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:47 AM

870 posts, read 808,254 times
African Americans speak English and many don't seem to feel fully assimilated yet. Some are even terrified to live in certain suburban areas in the country they call home. So I guess there is more to this assimilation phenomenon than appears to meet the eye.

BTW
Canada has a whole province, Quebec, where French is spoken and no suspicion is ever cast on their Canadian loyalty. Spain has a province where Catalan is spoken and no suspicions are felt about their Spaniard loyalties. In short, loyalty to a homeland and the language one prefers to speak need not be mutually exclusive. Many Mexican Americans have fought and died for trhe USA during the First and Second World Wars, Korea, VietNam and the Gulf War. If giving their lives on behalf of the USA isn't enough then what is?

Last edited by Radrook; 05-07-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 12:51 AM

3,853 posts, read 3,163,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Because they are delusional.

If they are granted amnesty, they will not assimilate. They don't want to. It is not in their plans. Some of them have been in the US for 10, 20, 30 years and have yet to learn English! Do these people really think they're just going to do it now? Yeah, right.
You're right they will say and promise ANYTHING to gain amnesty as they know that if and when it's done NOTHING about it will be enforced just like last time (Reagan's Amnesty).

Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post

BTW
Canada has a whole province, Quebec, where French is spoken and no suspicion is ever cast on their Canadian loyalty. Spain has a province where Catalan is spoken and no suspicions are felt about their Spaniard loyalties. In short, loyalty to a homeland and the language one prefers to speak need not be mutually exclusive. Many Mexican Americans have fought and died for trhe USA during the First and Second World Wars, Korea, VietNam and the Gulf War. If giving their lives on behalf of the USA isn't enough then what is?
I used to live in Quebec. As a matter of fact most of my family is from that province.

It is funny how you conveniently forgot the reason why they speak French is because of the French were in Canada from the 1500's on. Ever heard of Samuel de Champlain?! Parts of Canada were settled by the British while other parts were settled by the French....French is spoken in Quebec for that reason, it is not because it was invaded by people who speak French and the English speakers had to cater to them. What a horrible attempt to twist that into something that will fit your agenda.

You cannot compare illegal aliens to the Québécois. Oh and for the record, most people from Quebec do speak English. And it is spoken in other provinces as well. My great grandparents came from Nova Scotia to the US and their first language was French.

Nobody is talking about Mexican Americans here. We are talking about illegal aliens who REFUSE to assimilate upon arriving to the United States and expect us to cater to their needs when they clearly made the CHOICE to come here. Yes Mexicans are an easy target because they are the majority of illegal aliens. And they stand out. Why? Because they want to.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 05-07-2011 at 05:29 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times
Quote:
Lemme tell ya something: I grew up speaking Portuguese because I lived in a country where Portuguese was spoken. I was a toddler when I was taken to live in South America with my grandparents. I didn't speak English until I was a teen. As a matter of fact I couldn't even remember what the word "cat" meant. I had to start from scratch. I learned English on my own while living in a country where it was not spoken. Thank God for MTV, American magazines and an English/Portuguese dictionary. Those were my sources. For the longest time all I could do was write in English. I still have a hard time pronouncing certain words sometimes but I get a kick out of it because I can communicate and express myself in English just fine. I am proud of that.
Cool story bro

Quote:
There is no reason why these so-called immigrants who "just want a better life" cannot do the same while living HERE. They don't learn it because they do not want to.
Isn't America great? One of the many countries in the world where people are free to make choices regarding their personal lives?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Cool story bro

Isn't America great? One of the many countries in the world where people are free to make choices regarding their personal lives?
That is not making a choice. This so-called choice affects EVERYONE else around you. You think that is fair?

That is being ignorant. It is complete lack of respect for this country and its people.

And now they expect us to cater to them?! Give me a break.

They are ignorant and lazy. Plain and simple.

I can't get a higher paying job because I don't speak the language. I speak 3 languages but don't speak the language most illegal aliens speak....SPANISH. What kind of BS is that?

Bilingual nowadays is English/Spanish.

Why? Because they refuse to learn English. It is bad enough they come here illegally they now demand that we bend over and backwards for them.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times
Quote:
That is not making a choice.
Uhh..what is it?

Quote:
This so-called choice affects EVERYONE else around you. You think that is fair?
The same can be said of pretty much every choice a person can make. Why do you hate freedom so much?

Quote:
I can't get a higher paying job because I don't speak the language. I speak 3 languages but don't speak the language most illegal aliens speak....SPANISH. What kind of BS is that?
Same as the BS that I can't get a higher paying job because I lack skill A, or skill B.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Uhh..what is it?

The same can be said of pretty much every choice a person can make. Why do you hate freedom so much?

Same as the BS that I can't get a higher paying job because I lack skill A, or skill B.
Why I hate freedom so much? This has nothing to do with freedom.

Hm, have you looked at my name? I was in the Army. I fought for freedom.

Same BS? How is it that I can have 8 years of experience in retail but when I go to an interview I am told "Oh, but we need someone who can speak Spanish".

Another bleeding heart liberal. I am not going to waste my time.

Have a good day.

And you are not even American. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or