U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
3,676 posts, read 5,872,083 times
Reputation: 3565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Except, of course, when that business is being conducted in Spanish



Sigh

Except, of course, that English is not our national language.



I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in 5 countries for up to two years. I've always done my best to learn the language spoken in those countries. However, two years isn't near enough to time (for me anyway, and I've always felt that I was somewhat adept at learning language) to master a language and I was always thankful that there was usually someone around to speak English to.
I've worked for companies that had business all over the world; Italy, Japan, Hong Kong and Dubai among them. All the people we worked with in these countries spoke English.

Why?

Because English is the language of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,526 posts, read 7,588,682 times
Reputation: 12242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
I work in a company whose employees are about 97 % mexican. The majority do not speak English. We need translators for everything here. I cannot get a promotion here because of the fact that I do not speak Spanish and therefore would not be able to lead. I have over 15 years experience in my field, and have more skills than I should, but still can't move up? How is this right?
Then either learn Spanish and become one of your company's most valued assets, or do the right thing and change to an employer that does not cater to illegals and utilizes LEGAL hiring practices. In the meantime, file a discrimination lawsuit against your current employer. Don't think for a minute the mexicans wouldn't if the tables were turned.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
I get called racist every year because I won't learn to speak spanish. My response is that I am not racist, but feel that I should not have to learn how to speak spanish to work in an American, English speaking company.
You are not racist for your beliefs. And you do not need to speak spanish to work at your company. But........ It seems you need to learn spanish if you expect to move UP the ladder in your company.

I sense a bit of a contradiction in your story. You say you work at an english speaking company, yet 97% of your co-workers are mexicans who cannot speak a lick of english. Either you are highly exagerrating the ratio of whites/mexicans at your job, or you need to get the f*** out of Dodge. NOW! Find an employer where you can use your skills and be respected (and paid handsomely) for them.

By continuing to work for your current employer, you are selling yourself short AND supporting illegal's in the same swoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
135 posts, read 289,860 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
I work in a company whose employees are about 97 % mexican. The majority do not speak English. We need translators for everything here. I cannot get a promotion here because of the fact that I do not speak Spanish and therefore would not be able to lead. I have over 15 years experience in my field, and have more skills than I should, but still can't move up? How is this right?

Learn Spanish, make yourself more marketable. I did. I'm born in USA, blonde hair, not hispanic but took it upon myself to learn Spanish because I lived in Texas, and saw that I may need it in my future in business. I studied in HS and beyond, applied myself and speak it very well. Its a matter of business and clients in many cases. I sure would not want to conduct banking, medical, mortgage, home repair things in Spanish although I speak it very well. Many Spanish speakers who have learned English prefer to do important things like that in their native tongue, or you risk being screwed over by insurance companies, banks, shady folks.

Its not just "catering to illegals"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Learn Spanish, make yourself more marketable. I did. I'm born in USA, blonde hair, not hispanic but took it upon myself to learn Spanish because I lived in Texas, and saw that I may need it in my future in business. I studied in HS and beyond, applied myself and speak it very well. Its a matter of business and clients in many cases. I sure would not want to conduct banking, medical, mortgage, home repair things in Spanish although I speak it very well. Many Spanish speakers who have learned English prefer to do important things like that in their native tongue, or you risk being screwed over by insurance companies, banks, shady folks.

Its not just "catering to illegals"
That bowing down to them attitude does not really help them. It just keeps them permanently in their language ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,295 posts, read 12,381,144 times
Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Then why not force Americans to speak the most widely spoken language in the world? Why stop at 3rd most?
Why force anyone to speak any language? I don't like to force anyone to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you know the definition of default?
Yes.

Quote:
Name some Americans that can't speak English?
Deaf Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
This sentence (and the unbelievable arrogance behind it) is exactly why so many of us find illegal migrants and their supporters so utterly distasteful.

Don't you dare come to my country (especially without permission!) and advocate in favor of policies that put the average person at a disadvantage. We have enough to do without adding learn Spanish to that list. No native should ever be told to learn another language solely to cater to monolingual criminals.

It is the height of rudeness to move to another country without at least basic fluency in that country's dominant language. If you cannot speak English you should hire an interpreter. Demanding that others learn Spanish because you are a lazy moron is simply unacceptable.
See above

Some Americans speak English, some speak Spanish, some 'speak' American Sign Language, some speak whatever, etc...

If people want to argue for tougher immigration laws, or more enforcement, etc...fine, but this attack on Spanish is ridiculous and misguided. It may be a symptom of a problem, but it is not a problem in and of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,957 posts, read 30,201,927 times
Reputation: 17764
[quote=filihok;19085157]Why force anyone to speak any language? I don't like to force anyone to do anything.


Yes.


Deaf Americans.


See above

Some Americans speak English, some speak Spanish, some 'speak' American Sign Language, some speak whatever, etc...

If people want to argue for tougher immigration laws, or more enforcement, etc...fine, but this attack on Spanish is ridiculous and misguided. It may be a symptom of a problem, but it is not a problem in and of itself.[/QUOTE]No, it is a by product of illegal immigration. Yet, still a huge problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,122,528 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Learn Spanish, make yourself more marketable. I did. I'm born in USA, blonde hair, not hispanic but took it upon myself to learn Spanish because I lived in Texas, and saw that I may need it in my future in business. I studied in HS and beyond, applied myself and speak it very well. Its a matter of business and clients in many cases. I sure would not want to conduct banking, medical, mortgage, home repair things in Spanish although I speak it very well. Many Spanish speakers who have learned English prefer to do important things like that in their native tongue, or you risk being screwed over by insurance companies, banks, shady folks.

Its not just "catering to illegals"
Thats good for you that you learn Spanish. But the language of the country is English.

People that immigrate here should learn it, because its our culture and language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
4,828 posts, read 4,662,628 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post

Its not just "catering to illegals"
So you don't think that the fact that most illegal aliens speak Spanish and the fact that hear "Press 2 For Spanish" are not related?

How is that not catering?!

We are asked, in some ways forced, to learn a foreign language in order to communicate with people who don't assimilate.

English is the language of business, that is if you live OUTSIDE the United States.

How does that make sense?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
Learn Spanish, make yourself more marketable. I did. I'm born in USA, blonde hair, not hispanic but took it upon myself to learn Spanish because I lived in Texas, and saw that I may need it in my future in business. I studied in HS and beyond, applied myself and speak it very well. Its a matter of business and clients in many cases. I sure would not want to conduct banking, medical, mortgage, home repair things in Spanish although I speak it very well. Many Spanish speakers who have learned English prefer to do important things like that in their native tongue, or you risk being screwed over by insurance companies, banks, shady folks.

Its not just "catering to illegals"
Why should we cater to Hispanic-Americans who "prefer" being dealt with in Spanish when they know English? That is ridiculous! Who do they think they are? Such arrogance! I am sure there are other ethnic groups whose first language isn't English either and might prefer hearing their native tongue instead but tough cookies our langauge is English. Assimilation to our language out in mainstream is essential to assimilation and for a cohesive society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why force anyone to speak any language? I don't like to force anyone to do anything.


Yes.


Deaf Americans.


See above

Some Americans speak English, some speak Spanish, some 'speak' American Sign Language, some speak whatever, etc...

If people want to argue for tougher immigration laws, or more enforcement, etc...fine, but this attack on Spanish is ridiculous and misguided. It may be a symptom of a problem, but it is not a problem in and of itself.
No. "some" Americans don't speak English, most of us do. And yes the influx of millions of illegal alien Spanish speakers is a big problem in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top