U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Why force anyone to speak any language? I don't like to force anyone to do anything.

Yes.

Deaf Americans.

See above

Some Americans speak English, some speak Spanish, some 'speak' American Sign Language, some speak whatever, etc...

If people want to argue for tougher immigration laws, or more enforcement, etc...fine, but this attack on Spanish is ridiculous and misguided. It may be a symptom of a problem, but it is not a problem in and of itself.
So would you suggest that an American emigrating to some other country where English isn't spoken should refuse to ever learn the language of that country?

I doubt you would.

No one would tell an American to move to Spain or France and live there permanently but expect to have every service provided in English.

It's a little odd that immigrants and illegals are being told that Americans must learn Spanish to accommodate their refusal and inability to ever learn as much a one word in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,343,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So would you suggest that an American emigrating to some other country where English isn't spoken should refuse to ever learn the language of that country?

I doubt you would.

No one would tell an American to move to Spain or France and live there permanently but expect to have every service provided in English.

It's a little odd that immigrants and illegals are being told that Americans must learn Spanish to accommodate their refusal and inability to ever learn as much a one word in English.
I have never said one of those things.

Would you suggest that every American who has emigrated to another country where English isn't spoken has learned the language of that country?

I doubt that that is true.

Swedish immigration website: other languages
Swedish tax website: other languages

Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:

Would you suggest that every American who has emigrated to another country where English isn't spoken has learned the language of that country?

If an American relocates permanently to another country and refuses to ever learn anything of that country or it's language, I don't expect that the citizens of that country should be required to learn English to accommodate that intellectually lazy individual. For all I care, they could give that American the boot. Kick him out. It would serve him right.

I believe Americans should respect the laws of other nations, they should abide by the immigration and travel laws of those countries. If they don't and are deported, I surely do not lose any sleep over it.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:

If they haven't then they are wrong not to do so just like it is wrong for someone to migrate here and not learn our langauge.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If an American relocates permanently to another country and refuses to ever learn anything of that country or it's language, I don't expect that the citizens of that country should be required to learn English to accommodate that intellectually lazy individual. For all I care, they could give that American the boot. Kick him out. It would serve him right.

I believe Americans should respect the laws of other nations, they should abide by the immigration and travel laws of those countries. If they don't and are deported, I surely do not lose any sleep over it.
Exactly! I hold no double standard for Americans who move permanantly to another country and refuse to learn that country's language and expect to be catered to in English. I would find that very disrespectful on the American's part.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
I don't understand the hostility towards English?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't understand the hostility towards English?
Anything related to anglo-America seems to be cause for hostility by the illegals and their ethnocentric advocates.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,097,724 times
There is really no importance to speak spanish here except to cater to illegals.

If Spanish is the 3rd most spoken language or even the 1st, its Not a BRIC country Brazil Russia,India China.

China has been the most spoken language in the world for centuries. There was never a need to speak it, until now.

None of the Spanish Speaking countries are developing.

Last edited by All American NYC; 05-10-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,930,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why do all the open borders groups say they will learn English if immigration reform is pass?
Because it is what they think will make people open to the idea of an open border.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,436 times
Quote:
Why force anyone to speak any language? I don't like to force anyone to do anything.

Yes.

Deaf Americans.

See above

Some Americans speak English, some speak Spanish, some 'speak' American Sign Language, some speak whatever, etc...

If people want to argue for tougher immigration laws, or more enforcement, etc...fine, but this attack on Spanish is ridiculous and misguided. It may be a symptom of a problem, but it is not a problem in and of itself.
If you don't want to be forced to learn another language the solution is simple: don't move to another country where they speak another language.

The comparison between people who cannot literally learn English such as the deaf and those who voluntarily choose not to do so is deeply offensive.

As for the alleged attack on Spanish, well when Hispanic lobbying groups stop attacking Americans then we'll stop being hostile to their language of choice. Far too many ethnic lobbying groups from Central and South America make the most ludicrous demands on Americans. Their basic argument is that Americans should do everything we possibly can to welcome Latin America's ill educated monolingual underclass.

Some of us are sick of it.

The double standard is insane. Americans who live in a society where they only occasionally encounter someone who speaks only Spanish are lazy, arrogant and dumb because they aren't fluent in Spanish. But morons who literally voluntarily move to the United States (without permisssion no less!) without a single word of English are to be assisted at every turn in their own language.

Because monolingualism is bad. Unless, of course, you're a law breaking half wit with a seventh grade education breaking into America who happens to share an identity with someone from La Raza.

Don't sneak into my house and add to my list of chores. Or whine when shove you out the door with a few curse words and the assistance of the local police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or