Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
And English shouldn't be a requireMENT...

see how that works?
Yes, it should. English is our national langauge, not Spanish. See how THAT works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
And English shouldn't be a requireMENT...

see how that works?
Don't immigrate to a country if you are hostile to the language of it. Why cause problems & animosity? If you love a country you would adapt & learn the language, culture & customs.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Quite honestly, I am much more concerned about the mental idiots who are taking over the world.
I am too,

But do you believe illegals are invading?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quite honestly, I am much more concerned about the mental idiots who are taking over the world.
'

Yeah, me to. Like those who think a country has no right to sovereign borders or to have immigration laws and think that they should absorb every foreigner who decides to migrate there no matter how negatively it impacts their own citizenry. Now those are real mental idiots.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
English is the language of business in the country. If you can't speak it, you can't progress. Not learning is foolish.
Except, of course, when that business is being conducted in Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yes, it should. English is our national langauge [sic], not Spanish. See how THAT works?
Sigh

Except, of course, that English is not our national language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Don't immigrate to a country if you are hostile to the language of it. Why cause problems & animosity? If you love a country you would adapt & learn the language, culture & customs.
I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in 5 countries for up to two years. I've always done my best to learn the language spoken in those countries. However, two years isn't near enough to time (for me anyway, and I've always felt that I was somewhat adept at learning language) to master a language and I was always thankful that there was usually someone around to speak English to.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Except, of course, when that business is being conducted in Spanish

Sigh

Except, of course, that English is not our national language.

I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in 5 countries for up to two years. I've always done my best to learn the language spoken in those countries. However, two years isn't near enough to time (for me anyway, and I've always felt that I was somewhat adept at learning language) to master a language and I was always thankful that there was usually someone around to speak English to.
Why should any normal business be conducted in Spanish? Ethnic businesses however might be the exception but not other businesses here in this country.

English IS our de facto national langauge. I didn't say it was "official". Learn to know the difference.

If you learned the language of the countries you have visited or lived in then why does it seem you are advocating for foreingers not to learn ours for the same reasons? Did you expect the non-English speaking citizens of those countries to learn English to communicate with you rather than the other way around?

FYI, most Hispanic-Americans in this country know how to speak English so why the hell should we learn Spanish to communicate with them when we already have English to communicate with them in? It is to pander to illegal aliens why learing Spanish is all of a sudden being demanded.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Why should any normal business be conducted in Spanish?
Some people speak Spanish.

Quote:
English IS our de facto national langauge. I didn't say it was "official". Learn to know the difference.
I am quite aware of the difference.

Quote:
If you learned the language of the countries you have visited or lived in then why does it seem you are advocating for foreingers [SIC] not to learn ours for the same reasons?
That would be a question that you should ask yourself, since I am not advocating for foreigners not to learn English.

Quote:
Did you expect the non-English speaking citizens of those countries to learn English to communicate with you rather than the other way around?
I did not. But many businesses and government agencies must have felt there was some value in having English speaking employees.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Some people speak Spanish.

The default language is English and our country's language is English. Americans speak English. Yes Some speak Spanish, but legal Hispanics can speak English.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
It doesn't 'screw' anyone out of a job.

It gives a job to the person with the skills needed to do business.
Yes, even if that business is illegal or doing business with illegals. What kind of a Company or Business is that? Either illegal or unscrupulous. The amount of tourists in the US at any given time isn't that large and it's not just Spanish they are speaking.

It's odd that the push is for Spanish though isn't it?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The default language is English and our country's language is English.
What the **** is a default language?

Quote:
Americans speak English.
Not all of them.

Quote:
Yes Some[SIC] speak Spanish, but legal Hispanics can speak English.
Not all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, even if that business is illegal or doing business with illegals. What kind of a Company or Business is that? Either illegal or unscrupulous. The amount of tourists in the US at any given time isn't that large and it's not just Spanish they are speaking.
Do you feel that businesses should check immigration statuses of their customers?

Do you feel that businesses should assume that anyone they conduct business with who prefers to do so in Spanish is an illegal immigrant?

Quote:
It's odd that the push is for Spanish though isn't it?
Spanish is the 3rd most widely spoken language in the world, so not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration