U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Current Illegal Aliens get US Citizenship- as long as they wait at the end of the line?
Yes, because they are here working and part of our society 1 2.33%
Maybe, if they have remarkable skills and are crime free 6 13.95%
No, because they broke the law 24 55.81%
They should ALL be put in Prison and then Deported 12 27.91%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,571,816 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not!!! People wait years and years to come here legally. They should never have the privilege of becoming a citizen. EVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM

25,463 posts, read 12,187,676 times
You come here illegally from anywhere, out you go! By the way, last I looked around this was The United States of America. When others come to our country, why do they not adopt 'our' ways instead of expecting 'us' to adopt their ways? Why do so many come here from countries that look down upon us and actually hate our way of life and our freedoms? Would we be allowed to enter their country and expect all to bow to our demands?

NO

Old 08-03-2007, 04:00 PM

11,429 posts, read 17,078,597 times
No, let the people who come here legally become Americans, the rest can go back to where ever them came from.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:09 PM

556 posts, read 502,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
No, they should be permanently barred from ever becoming U.S. citizens. Period.

If someone broke into your house and stole from you, would you invite them to be your roommate in the future?

These people know that there is a correct procedure for becoming citizens of this country, but they obviously think they are more important than the people waiting in line to do it the right way. We need to show them that the opposite is true.

It's nice to think we could deport them, and then not allow them back in. However, barring putting a permanent ID inside their body, they could just change their names etc and come back 'legally'.

It takes about 10 years to be able to LEGALLY immigrate to this country. That is why so many never apply and just jump the fence.

I say deport them. I could be harsher, but I don't feel like getting banned again for my own views.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 PM

7,352 posts, read 9,169,696 times
sponger: I have a student who was turned down for a job as a janitor because he doesn't speak Spanish and cannot communicate with the other maintenance staff, who are all illegal workers. His rights and needs as an American citizen have, in effect, been pushed aside in favor of cheaper labor for American business. And this is an African-American student who is trying desperately to escape a drug-infested and violence-ridden neighborhood, but who is now almost in absolute despair at not being able to find a job. I wish I could say that this was an anomaly. Increasingly, however, it is not. And it is certainly not a "myth."

Old 08-04-2007, 10:58 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,092,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
sponger: I have a student who was turned down for a job as a janitor because he doesn't speak Spanish and cannot communicate with the other maintenance staff, who are all illegal workers. His rights and needs as an American citizen have, in effect, been pushed aside in favor of cheaper labor for American business. And this is an African-American student who is trying desperately to escape a drug-infested and violence-ridden neighborhood, but who is now almost in absolute despair at not being able to find a job. I wish I could say that this was an anomaly. Increasingly, however, it is not. And it is certainly not a "myth."
I agree. My neighbor works three part-time jobs and can't get hired in any full-time job that pays benefits. The competition is too great. Get rid of the illegal aliens and employers have to compete for labor. Wages go up, and part-time workers get full-time jobs.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,678,973 times
Quote:
No one, from the meanest taco shack to the corner liquor store, has ever expected me to know or learn Spanish. I have never been prevented from doing business, ordering food, or asking for information inside the United States because of a language barrier. I don't know where this myth comes from, but it doesn't happen in my neighborhood.
Our newspapers here in FL are FULL with job adds stating "Spanish language required" or "bilingual English/ Spanish preferred"...etc.
Even my job is getting tougher...because I don't speak Spanish, but have customers only speaking THAT language. I have to run around, and find someone to translate......
It's aggravating beyond believe.....
I learned English....why the hell can't they?????

Old 08-05-2007, 12:21 PM

556 posts, read 502,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Our newspapers here in FL are FULL with job adds stating "Spanish language required" or "bilingual English/ Spanish preferred"...etc.
Even my job is getting tougher...because I don't speak Spanish, but have customers only speaking THAT language. I have to run around, and find someone to translate......
It's aggravating beyond believe.....
I learned English....why the hell can't they?????
I am a Commercial Deep Sea Diver, and we all speak English. I went on a job in February where the client was providing Mexican laborers for us to run winches, and one of the REQUIREMENTS was that they all speak English. When lives are on the line, there can be NO mistakes because of communications. The subject of 'Spanish required, or Spanish preferred', should NEVER be considered when dealing with an American Citizen. In my case, we are an American company, and we demanded the Mexicans speak English. That's the way it should be.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

450 posts, read 419,266 times
No

I came here the legal way
I paid my fees, I did my interviews, I respected the laws, I waiting for years

so why should they come over and be given it

if you work for something you respect what you have done

Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,363 times
well see not many people are like your parents. also do you know why they sneak in ? person do your research than talk thank you. they sneak in the country because some of them are fleeing there government or they have no money to support their family also this country was establish by immigrants please open a text book or a book and educate your self i am a child of a immigrants family they got the chance to get their citizenship and now they are Americans but people like you make this country look like we were a bunch of hiks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or