U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,133,326 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is political or illegal immigration

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,667,870 times
I don't know much about gay marriage but if he is here illegally he needs to be sent back to Ireland!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,853,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't know much about gay marriage but if he is here illegally he needs to be sent back to Ireland!!!
Ditto!

Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,333,250 times
Even after reading the article I don't know enough about this specific case to have an opinion of it, but I believe that same-sex marriage should be legal in all 50 states and all US territories, and should carry the same weight as a "traditional" marriage for purposes of granting immigration benefits.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM

416 posts, read 357,573 times
No, he shouldn't be sent back. They are being discriminated against by the fact that they can not legally marry and therefore can not obtain an immigration visa. This is something totally different here.
Illegals, on the other hand, would never have qualified for any work immigration visa in the first place. The common response "Just go back and come legally" is thus nonsense.
The couple would have gotten one.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,027,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Even after reading the article I don't know enough about this specific case to have an opinion of it, but I believe that same-sex marriage should be legal in all 50 states and all US territories, and should carry the same weight as a "traditional" marriage for purposes of granting immigration benefits.
USCIS currently does not recognize same-sex marriage for immigration or naturalization purposes. You also realize that a "Cancellation of Removal" means that the person (no gender provided) has been present in the United States for longer than seven years if currently a Legal Permanent Resident (with no less than 5 years in LPR status), and ten years if an illegal alien. This particular case is most likely an illegal alien, because otherwise the person would usually be able to naturalize on their own (without the "marriage") after five years as an LPR.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:19 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,103,970 times
Same-sex couple seeks to suspend deportation | News Story on 365gay.com

Deportation of partner in same-sex couple halted | News Story on 365gay.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Thank You for providing the stories with more details. "Cancelation of Removal" is hard to win, the U.S. citizen "qualifying relative" has to prove they can't live in the relatives home country (Ireland specifically here). In this case, even harder with a relationship that is entirely unrecognized by USCIS.

There hasn't even been asylum cases recognized on homosexuality grounds, when a gay person would be in danger in their home country because of their sexual orientation...

I even believe that more states could have same-sex marriages, and USCIS still wouldn't budge...

What would be the next to go after that, a Muslim bringing in more than one wife?...

Some responses are wholly unexpected here, as details show the person trying for the "Cancellation of Removal" has been an illegal alien present in the United States for more than ten years...

Maybe it is because they are Irish...

Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,932,169 times
Not to make it a gay thing - but one thing about most of them, they aren't drowning us in anchor babies, expecting a free life-long ride with food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, EITC checks, and free schools for the kids they cannot afford but love to have for the purpose of collecting welfare.

I would hope though they aren't coming to get free HIV treatment because that too can be very costly. Where I live a whole lot of gays are coming over the border for that reason. Free health care, free medicines is a pretty nice lure.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not to make it a gay thing - but one thing about most of them, they aren't drowning us in anchor babies, expecting a free life-long ride with food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, EITC checks, and free schools for the kids they cannot afford but love to have for the purpose of collecting welfare.

I would hope though they aren't coming to get free HIV treatment because that too can be very costly. Where I live a whole lot of gays are coming over the border for that reason. Free health care, free medicines is a pretty nice lure.
How quickly the "Every illegal alien!" stance changes when it isn't a Hispanic. "EITC", the Earned Income Tax Credit has been brought up in another topic, and dismissed because all in the household must have valid Social Security numbers to qualify. But if you want to keep confusing lawful Latino families as illegal alien, and favor an Irish illegal immigrant it is up to you.

News reports classify this person as an illegal alien. To further try for "Cancellation of Removal" shows they have been illegally present for over ten years. Illegal is illegal, why can't we follow immigration laws?

How has this person made a living all of this time if they didn't work? I was even told that a sponsor of a legal immigrant would need to provide a paid health care plan to be entirely correct. There was another topic of three scenarios where a visa overstay for health reasons was easily dismissed.

Members aren't being very consistent with their views across ethnic boundaries. Should a position on immigration be relaxed when it is a background that some of us feel is a better fit here? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or