U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 AM

15,385 posts, read 8,682,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A particular event, upbringing, location, outlook, family member, or perception? This is "freestyle", so be as descriptive as possible. I've heard the stances, I just want to know more of the "why" about you.
I've always believed that you should obey the law. Lawbreakers should be punished. Folks that aid and abet the lawmakers should be punished. NO excuses for breaking the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I agree, this video really does sum up the attitude of these invaders.
Also, incidents like this say a lot as well:

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I agree, this video really does sum up the attitude of these invaders.
Also, incidents like this say a lot as well:
Actually, your post really sums up your attitude, which is, "Judge an entire group by the actions of a few."

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I am not for illegal immigration. I am for enforcing the borders and one more round of amnesty.

As someone who has been in education for a very long time, it saddens to me to say the average child of an illegal runs circles around the average child at the same socio-economic level. Like it or not, many of these so called illegals in the classroom are in fact citizens of the United States. It does us no good to punish these children by sending their parents home. Thanks to both Democrats and Republicans, the only realistic option is amnesty.

They hypocrisy sickens me at times. Mexicans, many of who live in areas that are war torn, are given limited opportunity to come here via political asylum while Cubans merely have to reach our soil and they are practically citizens.

Here in Houston, we have tons of Asian illegals. Nobody bats an eye because they are perceived as wanting to assimilate quickly. Meanwhile, street signs, businesses, newspapers etc. that are written in Vietnamese and Chinese are accepted because of this. I am sure some of this is due to the sheer volume of Hispanics when compared to Asians, however, it exists nonetheless.

I have always felt that America was a land of immigrants, many illegal. I scoff at those who claim they know with 100 percent certainty that their parents came here legally via Ellis Island. Many were turned down at Ellis Island but stayed regardless. Many people falsified surnames, health status and lied on other questions, which in turn made them illegals for staying. Do you think your great-grand parents would admit to this? Of course they wouldn't. And I most certainly would not expect them to.

The point is, everyone that comes here illegally or legally is here for a better life. And that's the way I see it.
Stereotyping much? First off, no one is calling children born from illegal aliens parents "illegals". According to the way the 14th is being interpreted today they are citizens. However, their parents are here illegally and should be deported. To keep the family intact they should take their citizen born children with them with the understanding that their citizen born children can return when they are of age if they so choose. No way should their parents be rewarded for coming here illegally by allowing them to stay. Amnesty is not the answer for the many reasons already provided in here.

Mexicans are not refugees. They aren't coming from a worn torn country where their lives are at stake. They are many safe places in Mexico. Mexico unlike Cuba is ruled by Democracy. We take in as many legal immigrants that is virtually possible while keeping in mind the best interests of our own citizens. I am though, all for ending the "wet foot, dry foot" that is allotted the Cubans.

No, America has never been known for being a land of "illegal" immigrants. The past is irrelevant just because perhaps not all came legally does not negate our immigration laws TODAY. Doesn't matter what an immigrant's reason is for coming here. You either come legally or you don't come at all.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Actually, your post really sums up your attitude, which is, "Judge an entire group by the actions of a few."
You mean like how all us anti-immigrationists get accused of being racists, xenophobes, etc. for the actions or words of a few radical anti's?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Stereotyping much? First off, no one is calling children born from illegal aliens parents "illegals". According to the way the 14th is being interpreted today they are citizens. However, their parents are here illegally and should be deported. To keep the family intact they should take their citizen born children with them with the understanding that their citizen born children can return when they are of age if they so choose. No way should their parents be rewarded for coming here illegally by allowing them to stay. Amnesty is not the answer for the many reasons already provided in here.

Mexicans are not refugees. They aren't coming from a worn torn country where their lives are at stake. They are many safe places in Mexico. Mexico unlike Cuba is ruled by Democracy. We take in as many legal immigrants that is virtually possible while keeping in mind the best interests of our own citizens. I am though, all for ending the "wet foot, dry foot" that is allotted the Cubans.

No, America has never been known for being a land of "illegal" immigrants. The past is irrelevant just because perhaps not all came legally does not negate our immigration laws TODAY. Doesn't matter what an immigrant's reason is for coming here. You either come legally or you don't come at all.
So you are for breaking up families and ruining the lives of children, no exceptions? Because that's what I am getting from your post.

And where do you expect Mexicans in war torn parts of their country to go?

I'm not saying negate the laws today. I'm saying give amnesty now, and then enfoce the laws. You can't ruin the lives of millions due to the lack of enforcement of others. It is immoral.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
So you are for breaking up families and ruining the lives of children, no exceptions? Because that's what I am getting from your post.

And where do you expect Mexicans in war torn parts of their country to go?

I'm not saying negate the laws today. I'm saying give amnesty now, and then enfoce the laws. You can't ruin the lives of millions due to the lack of enforcement of others. It is immoral.
How the hell is returning illegal aliens and their children back to their own homelands breaking up families?

How many American children get their lives ruined when a parent commits a crime and has to go to prison? Are you also weeping for them?

There are no war torn parts of Mexico. Mexico isn't at war with anyone. They can go back to the areas where the drug cartels don't rule and that would be most of Mexico.

No, no amensty. We tried that in 1986 and now we have quadruple the number of illegals we had back then. Granting amnesty does negate our laws and the ensuing punishment of deportation. If any lives are ruined it is the illegals that ruined their own lives by coming here illegally. Put the blame where the blame belongs and that is on the lawbreaker alien. Many American lives have been ruined by the presence of these millions of illegals. Don't you care about them?

What is immoral is not enforcing our immigration laws and Americans suffering for it.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A particular event, upbringing, location, outlook, family member, or perception? This is "freestyle", so be as descriptive as possible. I've heard the stances, I just want to know more of the "why" about you.
IBM, for me it's been a slow progression ever since the last amnesty in the 80's. Which by the way should prove that amnesty solves nothing but only encourages more illegal immigration. Why wouldn't they come? It's just a matter of them getting in and holding up for the next amnesty. We're perceived as weak.

Also, over the years theres been little incidents and experiences that really never amounted to anything, but over time it becomes a build up. It's probably been less than a decade that I've felt this strongly about it.

It's the catering to them that is a deal breaker and their demanding attitude as well. It's mind blowing how our government allowed this, and even encouraged these illegals with the lure of assistance. It's also just as mind blowing how these illegals demand rights here.

You ask about perception? I think a huge percentage of illegal immigrants are actually hard working, family oriented people trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. But, that's what every potential immigrant from every corner of the globe wants to come here for, and it's no excuse to jump the fence or cut in line. There's no justification whatsoever to allow an illegal alien a pass, just because he or she successfully broke the law and made it in to our country.

Family? My family was raised to be proud of their heritage! No shame in that, that's what made this country, legal immigrants and American born citizens. But, we are Americans first!!! I have Mexican family members as well as European, all of which came in to this country the right way and all of which acclimated, excepted English as their first language, and are Americans first and foremost.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong! You assume too much and clearly know nothing about me.

I think there is plenty of documentation and experiences out there to support my post and many many others like it.

"Judge an entire group by the actions of a few." Key word here is "FEW", I think you're really stretching it!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Quite putting words in peoples mouths. What you don't get is that the illegals themselves are the ones responsible for that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or