U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,018,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Since you started this thread, how about you first telling us what started you on your position on illegal immigration?
I was working my way through the responses before I would weigh in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,880,583 times
Quote:
Since you started this thread, how about you first telling us what started you on your position on illegal immigration?

I second this

Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM

167 posts, read 207,234 times
Research on illegal immigration to the United States and their effects.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 AM

913 posts, read 737,916 times
Prop. 187 in California.

Even back then as a child I knew right from wrong.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I second this
To expand even more than I've seen so far, it wasn't in my upbringing. I remember my Dad even getting a couple guys (amusingly "Tom" and "Jerry") to run the jackhammer in the house I live in right now. Must have been around the time of my early teens, and I thought I remembered they were from Mexico.

Enough to joke with my wife and kids when they moved in that they weren't the first Mexicans in the house...

We did have a cleaning lady that came by every week, which also had her origins in Mexico. Gut feeling that she was ultimately "legal", with a few generations of descendents here too. In fact I fought one of her Grandsons in 6th Grade.

We had the same identification I see others use now, where we called the Hispanics "Mexicans" at that time, whether they were or not. It really was more generations longer once I realized things later on. In kind of a strange way, the first-generation population from Mexico has gone down over time in my area (the Border Patrol has even closed down their local office, but dramatically expanded other locations within an hour or two away).

I remember some of the "Reagan Amnesty" discussions, but was busy with other things at that time...

My wife and I were actually blindly unaware of an immigration processing as we met and married. I started searching the Internet, and thought that "Americans for Legal Immigration PAC" might be a good place, contacting William Gheen directly. As soon as he found out my spouse was Mexican he settled in to a role that I should be more concerned with the "25 Americans killed by illegal aliens every day" than the "easy" immigration of my family.

It didn't go so easy. I tried contacting the office of my Republican Senator, Pete Domenici ("Son of Immigrants", including that his mother was an illegal alien), but the first reply was material on how tough he was on illegal immigration. A second request went unanswered. The third attempt finally reached them to establish contact, but by that time he was embroiled in controversy about the firing of U.S. Attorney David Inglesias.

And it showed. His staff fat-fingered our petitions so badly that they almost got them completely cancelled. They failed to follow our instructions (to unite the family in the United States before I deployed a fifth time, and pursue the Legal Permanent Resident status after I returned) and set us back further than if we had been on our own. Our first K-3 petition was denied, despite notification from my unit enclosed that I was deploying, because USCIS mis-forwarded one form, and it arrived 17 days after another form sent in.

The adjudicator had both in-hand a couple months later, but his job was form, not function...

Of course they kept the filing fee...

A refiled second petition finally made it through. With my wife on a K-3 visa (spouse of a U.S. citizen, but a "non-immigrant" status that is not work-authorized) we wanted to get her in the workforce as soon as possible. We filed to the correct address, but USCIS changed the filing location more than a month after we sent it in. Three months later it was returned as denied, they didn't forward the petition to the new location, and I was told I had sent it to the wrong address.

But they did forward the petition fee to the correct address to cash the check...

I was told I could re-file another petition, to the correct address, with a new petition fee...

We were working on the immigrant visa at that point, and figured Legal Permanent Resident status was probably going to be quicker, and less risky for a second fee amount. My wife waited her remaining K-3 visa time without work, and it put financial strain on the family. But we did it correctly.

My greatest support at that time was a forum, mostly of women, that had typically had illegal immigrant spouses they were trying to process through I-601 hardship waivers. It gave me insight to others experiencing the same frustration that I was. Their personal stories were much more real than all of the allegations I heard about elsewhere.

That set the pace from there, and I learned that I really didn't have much in common with forums that just seemed to be driven around talk about Hispanics, and what I felt were false perceptions. My stance won't be popular here, but I am comfortable with where I am. Please, no personal attacks, debate the issues, and I will give you someone you can vent on.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,372,620 times
Some might claim that my rape at age 6 by an illegal formed my opinions and beliefs, but I would have to disagree. That incident caused me to be wary of ALL males.

For me it was seeing the damage done to homes, neighborhoods, local parks, shopping areas and other public places. Its a very evident fact that those areas which are heavily populated by illegal immigrants tend to be run down, with streets, sidewalks and yards littered by trash, junker cars, old appliances, etc... I've personally seen the lack of respect these people have for the homes and apartments they rent from others, trashing them up and painting them horrific colors. Where ever they go graffiti is sure to follow, as well as gang activity, violent crime, property theft, etc...

Another issue for me is their total disregard for the laws of this land, pushing their way in and then demanding to be taken care of. My husband is a legal resident. We did everything legally and by the book. I resent those who think they have the right to bypass those same rules, laws and regulations.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,372,620 times
Forgot to add...

I've been away from the forums for a few days. Thanks to the illegal Mexican driving a Maroon F-150 truck, without a license or insurance, I have been dealing with whiplash in my neck and all across the top of my back from one shoulder to the other. It was so bad on the left side that it was affecting my chest wall muscles and putting a strain on my heart.

Fortunately my car wasn't damaged as well.

I was approaching a red light in the right hand turning lane when this illegal criminal driver came speeding past on my left and then suddenly and sharply veered in front of me, causing me to jump the curb and just barely miss slamming into a brick wall. I called 911 and they caught him. Wasn't hard to find since he was driving around with a lawn mower in the truck bed with the handle hanging over the tailgate and he was wearing one of those stupid floppy hats. Turns out that when he drove away after causing me to jump the curb someone else further down the road called 911 because he had suddenly jumped across two lanes of traffic and tore around a corner, almost causing a pile up. He was caught on Royal Ave. & First Street.

Another good reason to want them out of our country. I, or someone else, could very easily have been killed.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:30 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
To expand even more than I've seen so far, it wasn't in my upbringing. I remember my Dad even getting a couple guys (amusingly "Tom" and "Jerry") to run the jackhammer in the house I live in right now. Must have been around the time of my early teens, and I thought I remembered they were from Mexico.

Enough to joke with my wife and kids when they moved in that they weren't the first Mexicans in the house...

We did have a cleaning lady that came by every week, which also had her origins in Mexico. Gut feeling that she was ultimately "legal", with a few generations of descendents here too. In fact I fought one of her Grandsons in 6th Grade.

We had the same identification I see others use now, where we called the Hispanics "Mexicans" at that time, whether they were or not. It really was more generations longer once I realized things later on. In kind of a strange way, the first-generation population from Mexico has gone down over time in my area (the Border Patrol has even closed down their local office, but dramatically expanded other locations within an hour or two away).

I remember some of the "Reagan Amnesty" discussions, but was busy with other things at that time...

My wife and I were actually blindly unaware of an immigration processing as we met and married. I started searching the Internet, and thought that "Americans for Legal Immigration PAC" might be a good place, contacting William Gheen directly. As soon as he found out my spouse was Mexican he settled in to a role that I should be more concerned with the "25 Americans killed by illegal aliens every day" than the "easy" immigration of my family.

It didn't go so easy. I tried contacting the office of my Republican Senator, Pete Domenici ("Son of Immigrants", including that his mother was an illegal alien), but the first reply was material on how tough he was on illegal immigration. A second request went unanswered. The third attempt finally reached them to establish contact, but by that time he was embroiled in controversy about the firing of U.S. Attorney David Inglesias.

And it showed. His staff fat-fingered our petitions so badly that they almost got them completely cancelled. They failed to follow our instructions (to unite the family in the United States before I deployed a fifth time, and pursue the Legal Permanent Resident status after I returned) and set us back further than if we had been on our own. Our first K-3 petition was denied, despite notification from my unit enclosed that I was deploying, because USCIS mis-forwarded one form, and it arrived 17 days after another form sent in.

The adjudicator had both in-hand a couple months later, but his job was form, not function...

Of course they kept the filing fee...

A refiled second petition finally made it through. With my wife on a K-3 visa (spouse of a U.S. citizen, but a "non-immigrant" status that is not work-authorized) we wanted to get her in the workforce as soon as possible. We filed to the correct address, but USCIS changed the filing location more than a month after we sent it in. Three months later it was returned as denied, they didn't forward the petition to the new location, and I was told I had sent it to the wrong address.

But they did forward the petition fee to the correct address to cash the check...

I was told I could re-file another petition, to the correct address, with a new petition fee...

We were working on the immigrant visa at that point, and figured Legal Permanent Resident status was probably going to be quicker, and less risky for a second fee amount. My wife waited her remaining K-3 visa time without work, and it put financial strain on the family. But we did it correctly.

My greatest support at that time was a forum, mostly of women, that had typically had illegal immigrant spouses they were trying to process through I-601 hardship waivers. It gave me insight to others experiencing the same frustration that I was. Their personal stories were much more real than all of the allegations I heard about elsewhere.

That set the pace from there, and I learned that I really didn't have much in common with forums that just seemed to be driven around talk about Hispanics, and what I felt were false perceptions. My stance won't be popular here, but I am comfortable with where I am. Please, no personal attacks, debate the issues, and I will give you someone you can vent on.
Are you saying that just because some people erroneously called all Hispanics "Mexicans" that you became an advocate for people coming her illegally?

Are you saying that just because you and your wife had some difficulties along the way to making her legal that you are an advocate for people coming here illegally instead?

Are you saying that just because you entered an anti-illegal forum and didn't like what was said that you became an advocate for illegal aliens? Why would you enter a forum about "illegal" immigration seeking advice about legal immigration?

Are you saying that just because some women or other individuals had a problem gaining legal status for their loved ones that is a reason to be an advocate for illegal immigration?

I don't understand how any of the above would make one an advocate for illegal immigration. Have you even bothered to put aside the remarks you may think are offensive in regards to illegal immigration and just look at the issue from a law abiding citizen's point of view or as a military man sworn to protect this country from foreign instrusion? Have you even bothered to consider the crime stats, the tax burdens, our overcrowded schools, jails and hospitals, loss of jobs and deflation of blue collar wages, uncontrolled population growth, dilution of our language and basic culture of an illegal invasion by those of a particular national/ethnic group, the unfairness it is to legal immigrants that did it the right way, the depletion of our natural resources and the social demands of uncontrolled and unplanned population growth?

I would say that all of the above would sway most rational, pro-Americans to take a negative positon on illegal immigration rather than the things you mentioned to make one an advocate for illegal immigration. Your stance makes no sense to me when one weighs all the pro's and cons and if one is of the belief that all countries have a right to have immigration laws and the right to have them respected and enforced.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Are you saying that just because some people erroneously called all Hispanics "Mexicans" that you became an advocate for people coming her illegally?

Are you saying that just because you and your wife had some difficulties along the way to making her legal that you are an advocate for people coming here illegally instead?

Are you saying that just because you entered an anti-illegal forum and didn't like what was said that you became an advocate for illegal aliens? Why would you enter a forum about "illegal" immigration seeking advice about legal immigration?

Are you saying that just because some women or other individuals had a problem gaining legal status for their loved ones that is a reason to be an advocate for illegal immigration?

I don't understand how any of the above would make one an advocate for illegal immigration. Have you even bothered to put aside the remarks you may think are offensive in regards to illegal immigration and just look at the issue from a law abiding citizen's point of view or as a military man sworn to protect this country from foreign instrusion? Have you even bothered to consider the crime stats, the tax burdens, our overcrowded schools, jails and hospitals, loss of jobs and deflation of blue collar wages, uncontrolled population growth, dilution of our language and basic culture of an illegal invasion by those of a particular national/ethnic group, the unfairness it is to legal immigrants that did it the right way, the depletion of our natural resources and the social demands of uncontrolled and unplanned population growth?

I would say that all of the above would sway most rational, pro-Americans to take a negative positon on illegal immigration rather than the things you mentioned to make one an advocate for illegal immigration. Your stance makes no sense to me when one weighs all the pro's and cons and if one is of the belief that all countries have a right to have immigration laws and the right to have them respected and enforced.
Most of it is a realization that immigration is a complex issue, and such intertwined factors. There are some very large problems to deal with, but an inflexible approach doesn't work. Especially to see most of reaction driven by fear-mongering, and far too many with questionable intentions.

The topic stills seems like it fell flat, I had responses like "because they're illegal" that doesn't explain why someone is here instead of a career in law enforcement. Maybe we are the largest gathering of those that never shoplifted as kids, and cross the street staying fully in the lines. Hopefully it can still generate some discussion, instead of statements along the vein of "put landmines on the border and start shooting!".

I want to challenge some perceptions (and I know I have already), that is the reason I am here...

Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,459,112 times
When my son was forced to register with the selective service I found out that the same federal law applies to the illegals also.They dont have anyone enforse this law on them yet the government has time to enforce it on my son. UNFAIR! I cry fowl! I don't want federal law breakers who are not held accountable (as my son and yours are) to the laws in my country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or