U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:48 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,013,920 times

Advertisements

A particular event, upbringing, location, outlook, family member, or perception? This is "freestyle", so be as descriptive as possible. I've heard the stances, I just want to know more of the "why" about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 01:20 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
The cheap labor aspect of it. Knowing that the elites and the lazy want their unlimited numbers of cheap labor servants, live in maids, landscapers but dump the real costs onto the taxpayers and of course seeing the grocery store on food stamp day when no one can speak a lick of English but has 6 or 7 kids and another on the way. And also knowing that a great number of the illegals aren't here working at all but instead filling up the maternity units in the hospitals, the way they sit out in the parking lot until the baby is crowning and then waddle into the hospital, knowing at that point, they will never be denied the lavish life of welfare handouts.

Also realizing that many honest and potentially great immigrants who choose to respect our laws are being pushed to the back of the line while the cheats and frauds line up to demand their quick easy citizenship, they demand to be rewarded for breaking the laws.

And of course the Mexican flags they put up all over the place, waving them ever so proudly but they are pathetic and disgusting because the minute someone suggests deporting them, they begin to loudly badmouth their country, claiming they would surely starve to death if they went home.

Also because I know how their country is, that if people choose to finish their education, obtain some job skills and a job, marry before starting their families and limit family size to what they can afford, they can join the growing middle class in their own country, they don't have it bad if they live responsibly but instead they want to have no responsibility, have baby after baby they cannot feed but come here and demand we support their poor personal decisions.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM

26,875 posts, read 57,924,091 times
Before I saw other things for myself life circumstances in the early 70's served up the Grape & Lettuce Revolts and support for Cesar Chavez and the Migrant Workers. I was one of the people who boycotted lettuce and grapes in support of them.

Then in the later 70's I lived and worked in Orange County CA and had other opportunities to see first hand the rest of the story. The key in your face moment came when I was told very specifically that if I wanted to progress into management I'd have to learn Spanish. I moved east again not long after that.

The second major event was about 10 years later in the '80s. Reading the text at the end of the book Texas (which I highly recommend, btw) where James Michener's character is interviewing a LaRaza organizer in 1970's Houston and editorializing a bit in the process. This was when the weakness of the 14th Amendment was made clear.

If you have a copy I'd love to see an excerpt from that late chapter.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-07-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,862,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
A particular event, upbringing, location, outlook, family member, or perception? This is "freestyle", so be as descriptive as possible. I've heard the stances, I just want to know more of the "why" about you.

For me it was seeing what it has done to my area. Around here we're the unfortunate recipient of a large number of illegal aliens from Brazil.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:05 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,545,317 times
Quote:

they are criminals, is that good enough for you?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:14 PM

4,827 posts, read 4,649,060 times
Common sense.

Oh and the fact that my dad came here legally as well as other family members. It's a slap in the face to those who waited in line like any decent human being should do.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,516 times
I don't like the fact that little by little, they're turning this country into something that resembles a 3rd world country. I think what really pushed me over the edge though, was during the protest marches when they threw the American flag in the street, and deliberately stomped on it. I'll never forget that.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,242,920 times
Growing up as a law-abiding citizen.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:00 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,623,033 times
The word "illegal".

Old 05-07-2011, 08:28 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Quote:
Since you started this thread, how about you first telling us what started you on your position on illegal immigration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or