Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Interesting experience. Not one worker or manager I saw was non-Hispanic. I glanced at their manager board, all Hispanic surnames.

So my initial order went through without a hitch but when I returned to the food prep area to request a piece of foil for my burrito the woman who had just made my sandwich couldn't understand me. She first grabbed a bowl, then fumbled below for who knows what, finally her fellow Hispanic colleague mumbled something in Spanish and presto I got my foil.

I guess they taught her enough English to make the food and since the meats are termed in Spanish half the battle was won.

Is Chipotle trying to suggest that the best employees they can find are those with limited English skills? I mean not even getting into whether these employees are legal or not (I have my suspicions) is it legal to have an entire workforce in a multicultural area made up of one ethnic group? Seems like an EEOC violation if nothing else. I can just picture an American teenager walking in applying for a job in Chipotle only to have their app tossed in the trash because they are not Hispanic.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Interesting experience. Not one worker or manager I saw was non-Hispanic. I glanced at their manager board, all Hispanic surnames.

So my initial order went through without a hitch but when I returned to the food prep area to request a piece of foil for my burrito the woman who had just made my sandwich couldn't understand me. She first grabbed a bowl, then fumbled below for who knows what, finally her fellow Hispanic colleague mumbled something in Spanish and presto I got my foil.

I guess they taught her enough English to make the food and since the meats are termed in Spanish half the battle was won.

Is Chipotle trying to suggest that the best employees they can find are those with limited English skills? I mean not even getting into whether these employees are legal or not (I have my suspicions) is it legal to have an entire workforce in a multicultural area made up of one ethnic group? Seems like an EEOC violation if nothing else. I can just picture an American teenager walking in applying for a job in Chipotle only to have their app tossed in the trash because they are not Hispanic.

Quote:
is it legal to have an entire workforce in a multicultural area made up of one ethnic group?

Of course it is- as long as they're not all white.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Ha! You can't even hardly order fast food in Vegas unless you speak Spanish.

Who this really hurts in our country are African Americans, who traditionally were hired at fast food restaurants, doing janitorial work, that group has now been completely marginalized by Hispanics. Even worse, is the racism against African Americans, that they are "lazy" compared to Hispanics, and "steal", because I mentioned this to a manager of a FF place, he was Hispanic, and would not hire African Americans...and this was not a Mexican 66 place. When will our country get a clue on how illegal immigration has hurt our own people?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times
Quote:

Many places like that WONT hire Latinos like me who DONT speak Spanish. So it aint just a Hispanic thing.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
What is ironic - if you found a large chain that hired only white employees and never a single black, asian, hispanic ethnicity, that would indicate there was discrimination going on.

These "hispanic" businesses very obviously and blatantly discriminate against all other groups. It's common to see businesses where 100% are Spanish speaking, not a solitary black American, white American or any other type. Why in this day of EEOC is this allowed? They may as well put up signs "Help wanted: No non-hispanic or English speaker need apply".

Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Many places like that WONT hire Latinos like me who DONT speak Spanish. So it aint just a Hispanic thing.
I know. A friend of mine is a midwest born and raised Chicano social worker who actually got fired after years of working because the Mexicans complained they didn't like the way he spoke Spanish. He could speak Spanish but it wasn't their kind of Spanish. These are mentally ill people mind you - but it seems the foreign mentally ill now dominate even the mentally ill services. He was replaced by guess what? A Mexican national.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
You are probably right because none of the Hispanic workers I encountered yesterday spoke unaccented English.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:

If a fast food place refuses to hire you then you should sue them.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What is ironic - if you found a large chain that hired only white employees and never a single black, asian, hispanic ethnicity, that would indicate there was discrimination going on.

These "hispanic" businesses very obviously and blatantly discriminate against all other groups. It's common to see businesses where 100% are Spanish speaking, not a solitary black American, white American or any other type. Why in this day of EEOC is this allowed? They may as well put up signs "Help wanted: No non-hispanic or English speaker need apply".
What about in Asian restaraunts. All I see are Asians.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
What about in Asian restaraunts. All I see are Asians.
Why should any business be allowed to discriminate against certain ethnic groups?

I think it's pretty obvious when a business is 100% one race or ethnicity that there is discrimination in hiring going on. Unless the business is maybe no more than 5 people. Why are only some obligated to follow the equal opportunity laws when hiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration