Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:23 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times

Advertisements

"Delving anew into an explosive issue, President Barack Obama stood near the border with Mexico on Tuesday and declared it more secure than ever, trying to build pressure on Republicans to take on a comprehensive immigration overhaul -- and eagerly working to show vital Hispanic voters that he is not the one standing in the way".

Obama mocks Republican position on immigration - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/05/10/obama_pushing_for_immigration_overhaul_in_el_paso/?p1=News_links - broken link)

Of course it is the Republicans fault!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
"Delving anew into an explosive issue, President Barack Obama stood near the border with Mexico on Tuesday and declared it more secure than ever, trying to build pressure on Republicans to take on a comprehensive immigration overhaul -- and eagerly working to show vital Hispanic voters that he is not the one standing in the way".

Obama mocks Republican position on immigration - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/05/10/obama_pushing_for_immigration_overhaul_in_el_paso/?p1=News_links - broken link)

He is full of crap. I am sure my daughter will rest easier tonight knowing that her fiance who graduates from the Border Patrol academy this month will be much safer when he reports for duty, knowing that the President declared the border more secure than ever.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
He is full of crap. I am sure my daughter will rest easier tonight knowing that her fiance who graduates from the Border Patrol academy this month will be much safer when he reports for duty, knowing that the President declared the border more secure than ever.
It is so easy to say that when is surrounded by all kinds of law enforcement officials!

What about the regular Joes who aren't?!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
It is so easy to say that when is surrounded by all kinds of law enforcement officials!

What about the regular Joes who aren't?!

Suprisingly enough, considering El Paso is right across the border from one of the most violent places in the world, El Paso itself is pretty safe, from the violence, so he was in a pretty secure place, but to say the border as a whole is more secure than ever is hogwash. Now maybe he should go down to Columbus or Nogales and make that statement.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:

I just read an article in the Times yesterday about smugglers using cell phones to get illegals over the border. Yeah it's secure.

If the GOP wasn't so inept they could really use this to bash Obama.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Suprisingly enough, considering El Paso is right across the border from one of the most violent places in the world, El Paso itself is pretty safe, from the violence, so he was in a pretty secure place, but to say the border as a whole is more secure than ever is hogwash. Now maybe he should go down to Columbus or Nogales and make that statement.
I hear ya. I was stationed at Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and we were absolutely forbidden from going anywhere near that border! There were no ifs, buts... Even Fort Huachuca wasn't safe. A lot of Soldiers (myself included) came across Illegal Aliens on post and there was nothing we could do about it but call law enforcement.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
I'm sure the family of the border patrol agent who was recently murdered would disagree.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I'm sure the family of the border patrol agent who was recently murdered would disagree.
I agree with your post, as would the thousands of border patrol agents patrolling the border.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:

If it was more secure, we would not have millions of illegals in our country.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. I was stationed at Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista and we were absolutely forbidden from going anywhere near that border! There were no ifs, buts... Even Fort Huachuca wasn't safe. A lot of Soldiers (myself included) came across Illegal Aliens on post and there was nothing we could do about it but call law enforcement.

11 yrs ago when I left the Texas border town I lived in, going to Mexico wasn't a dangerous thing, we went over to the dentists, out to eat and what have you, but now there is no way I would go to Mexico, not even to the popular vacation spots.

Where we lived in NM was in very close proximity to El Paso and we told our teenagers under no circumstances were they to go to Mexico, alot of teenagers went over there because they could drink.

I worry about my parents, they live on about 21 acres of wooded property about a mile from the TX/Mexico border and it is not ususual for them to have Border Patrol choppers flying over their house at night, conducting searches of the area. Somehow that doesn't say secure border to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration