U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,683 times

Advertisements

Is Bush Co. and the Amnesty Express about to make a U-Turn in policy? Did they finally realize smearing their own base on immigration reform might not be the best policy after all? Who knows...

Adminastration Readying Crackdown on Employers
Associated Press - August 2, 2007 6:45 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - Employers nationwide are preparing to fire workers with questionable Social Security numbers.

[CUT - DO NOT REPOST LARGE PARTS OF COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES!]

LINK: KTRE-TV - Lufkin/Nacogdoches, TX - Administration readying crackdown on employers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now we wait to see if anything is actually implemented. If the Department of Homeland 'Security' can't hand out passports to Americans wishing to go overseas for summer vacation, I can't help but be skeptical at them jumping at the chance to take on even more of a workload.

But hey, they may very well intend to crackdown. Time will tell.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: [CUT - DO NOT REPOST LARGE PARTS OF COPYRIGHTED ARTICLES!]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 PM

289 posts, read 1,011,964 times
I'm all for it. Hopefully it will cut down on stories like this one

http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=198093

in which an illegal immigrant is suing his employer for $20,000 in "back pay" because he was getting paid less than the minimum wage.

The illegal's lawyer (yes he has a lawyer, from someplace called The Workplace Project) is quoted in the article as saying
"The state law says that any person that works here - doesn't say every person that's legally here - they should get the minimum wage."

The title of the article is "Taking advantage of illegal immigrants".

Say WHAT???!!!

Of course the employer could have hired a local teen instead, but then he'd have had to pay him minimum wage and probably *gasp!* on the books as well. Gawd forbid.

Throw the book at these employers, is what I say. Take away one of the carrots that encourage people to come here illegally.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM

294 posts, read 965,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
I'm all for it. Hopefully it will cut down on stories like this one

http://www.news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=198093

in which an illegal immigrant is suing his employer for $20,000 in "back pay" because he was getting paid less than the minimum wage.

The illegal's lawyer (yes he has a lawyer, from someplace called The Workplace Project) is quoted in the article as saying
"The state law says that any person that works here - doesn't say every person that's legally here - they should get the minimum wage."

The title of the article is "Taking advantage of illegal immigrants".

Say WHAT???!!!

Of course the employer could have hired a local teen instead, but then he'd have had to pay him minimum wage and probably *gasp!* on the books as well. Gawd forbid.

Throw the book at these employers, is what I say. Take away one of the carrots that encourage people to come here illegally.
This is too funny.... the lawyer he has is an ass, you can't use the legal system to upold an illegal act (illegally working) its as simply as that, plus the guy who employed him will get a visit from homeland security.

Its like a drug dealer taking his customer to court for not giving him the going rate for crack!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,683 times
Not being rude to the moderators that be, but why did it cut the article out of the post if I linked it? Not like I'm trying to get by with plagiarism. Since when can't you repost articles? Just wondering.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,293,306 times
You can post a short quote and a link to the article. By short, I mean a short paragraph or several sentences. Anything longer than that will be shortened.
Yac.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,418,211 times
This is a good start. They are finally starting to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or