U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,013,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Those of us who really care about this issue are doing plenty besides complaining.
...besides doing plenty complaining...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
...besides doing plenty complaining...
Why shouldn't we? We are losing our country to lawlessness and having our country sucked dry by illegal aliens.

I guess the other side isn't doing any complaining though, right?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,779,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I like reading these boards, I really do, but as much as I agree with the fury many of us have about illegals here and their effect on our nation, I would like to see a thread of practical suggestions/outlets for our very valid points.

Please post here any sites, petitions, phone numbers (aside from the obvious congressional numbers), groups, etc. that are actually doing something to take care of the massive illegal immigration problem we have.

Sympathizers of illegals should feel free to skip this thread.
Md residents please take time out of your busy day and go to Maryland Petitions and sign the petition to put the recently signed instate tuition for illegals on the ballot.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,321,219 times
Quote:
I like reading these boards, I really do, but as much as I agree with the fury many of us have about illegals here and their effect on our nation, I would like to see a thread of practical suggestions/outlets for our very valid points.

Please post here any sites, petitions, phone numbers (aside from the obvious congressional numbers), groups, etc. that are actually doing something to take care of the massive illegal immigration problem we have.

Sympathizers of illegals should feel free to skip this thread.
We are not the people in power and our power is only evident in increments come voting time. Civil Servants have Political Masters who then have their own agendas. Although note the Supreme Court has indicated we have to educate illegals who are minors so there is a large hole in the moral ground for enforcement. So there is another actor in the mix.

We can do the easy items of eliminating social services incentives and have employers confirm residency requirements as is done now for legal persons. We can choke off the outflow of funds which is the main reason illegals come here to send money home to family. We can speed deportation. We can tighten temporary/recreational VISAs with a considerable cash bond to ensure return. We can even change the requirements for U.S. citizenship to include the legal status of the parents at the time of birth. .

But here the problem is so deep and pervasive that we would have to impose a semi-fascist state to truly eliminate illegals in a short period. I mean as in national IDs, extensive casual identity examinations, mobilization of the nation to include deputizing perhaps hundreds of thousands to patrol/inspect/detain, another massive bureaucracy,etc. Are we ready to go down this path?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,697,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
But here the problem is so deep and pervasive that we would have to impose a semi-fascist state to truly eliminate illegals in a short period. I mean as in national IDs, extensive casual identity examinations, mobilization of the nation to include deputizing perhaps hundreds of thousands to patrol/inspect/detain, another massive bureaucracy,etc. Are we ready to go down this path?
Wouldn't it be as simple as denying them jobs?
No jobs, they leave.

No benefits, either. Without a valid driver's license, you get nothing.
BAM! They go home. (I'd hope).

As for the situation you described, though: Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Last edited by Alltheusernamesaretaken; 05-11-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,697,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
There have aleady been many posts about what we are doing or plan on doing so no sense in repeating it over and over. I will continue to complain also until this mess is taken care of. Ever heard of venting? It is human nature and it is a healthy thing to do.
I am all about venting; just check my posting history!

I have not read every thread in this giant board so how could I have possibly known that "there have already been many posts about what we are doing or plan on doing so no sense in repeating it over and over."?

And I appreciate the upthread link (though it doesn't apply to me) for MD residents. That is the kind of info I'm talking about. Keep 'em coming!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,321,219 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be as simple as denying them jobs?
No jobs, they leave.

No benefits, either. Without a valid driver's license, you get nothing.
BAM! They go home. (I'd hope).

As for the situation you described, though: Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I would like to hope so as well for what you mention. But I think the State Gov't will complain as they do know that they are enforcing Federal Laws without comp. Also, some state Gov'ts actually provide services to illegals, then there is what the Supreme Court has and may do. If we were to declare a national emergency similar to the Civil War(Lincoln suspended the writ of Habeaus Corpus) or mobilze as in WWII then we could show everyone we are serious. I just worry about the Gov't letting go once it has power.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,869,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Nobody does anything but complain.......we are a nation of sheep
Landowners on the border who try to do anything, including calling the border patrol, end up being sued by the illegals....and the illegals win.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM

23,611 posts, read 31,169,837 times
I think that photo was taken in Plano, Texas at the intersection of 75 and 15th Street. Am I wrong?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,296,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
Nobody does anything but complain.......we are a nation of sheep
Yes but the biggest and most ignorant of sheep are those who are in power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.