U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times

Advertisements

"'Get down, get down, I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you"

I thought that could also classify as a "warning".

Or maybe not?!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
So, some guy (American) shoots two other guys (also American). Why is this in the II forum? We don't know if the kook that shot them because he thought they were illegals. It appears he shot them because they were trespassing.

This one is really a stretch and appears to have racial intent to flame. If the shooter was Hispanic I doubt this would have been posted here.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:32 PM

12,775 posts, read 9,439,498 times
I heard on the news yesterday, there are 25,000 illegals in prison right now for homocides. That's a lot of killin. Time for America to start protecting it's own citizens, and quit obsessing so much about the rights of trespassers. Texas, and Arizona have a big problem, they might be a bit jumpy. Best not to tread where you don't belong.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:55 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,102,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
He had good cause - they were Hispanic right?
You don't trespass. I was shot at when some friends and myself got lost, and ended up in a cattle ranch in CO. Our truck broke down and it was dark. We were walking towards the light we saw in the distance. They never gave us a warning. We turned and ran, they stopped shooting. It was scary, and we didn't mean any harm, but They have the right to shoot first, and ask questions later. Hispanic or not.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
West Texas rancher shoots 2 men he alleges were trespassing, transports them to fire station - El Paso Times

Fabens, Texas

The shooting occurred in Hudspeth County, where Sheriff Arvin West last year advised farmers to "arm yourselves" because of fear of violence spilling across the border.

Norangel Velez and his father were going to look at land to buy when the rancher drove up and fired at them.
"'Get down, get down, I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you.' That's all he ever said; he never said anything else but that," Velez told the television station.
"He never said freeze, he never gave us a warning, he never came out in front of us and say what we're doing here, just boom, boom boom."
Velez told KTSM he was shot once and his father was shot three times after his father jumped on top of him and saved his life.
"What (the rancher) did was wrong, and the only reason he shot was because we were Hispanic," Velez told a reporter. "It's the only reason he shot. He thought we were immigrants. I've lived here all my life."
One of the men was in critical condition, and the other was stable.

Fabens is in east El Paso County, but the shooting occurred in the desolate Sunset Ranches area in neighboring Hudspeth County,

- Sunset Ranches is vast area of desert land that was subdivided in the 1970's. The plots are virtually unusable, many early buyers are trying to sell or they just walk away because of back taxes. It's not uncommon to find lost owners & potential buyers driving around looking for unmarked plots.
I read the link and I saw NOTHING about those guys shot being illegals.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I read the link and I saw NOTHING about those guys shot being illegals.
Note that the victims tried to claim that the rancher shot at them because he thought they were Hispanic "immigrants" when in all actuality LE had told all the ranchers nearby to be on the lookout and to protect themselves from drug cartels. Last I heard drug cartels aren't "immigrants", legal or illegal.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 PM

11,536 posts, read 8,462,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
He had good cause - they were Hispanic right?
So that makes it justified?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,848,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post

It's illegal to shoot people who represent no threat to you?
In a number of states trespassing is considered a threat and the law allows the use of lethal force in self defense of trespassers. In most states, the shooting will still have to pass the "reasonable man" test before it is ruled in a court of law as "justified".

If you own a land consider posting the following sign: You are not lost; you are trespassing. Leave immediately.

You have removed both the excuse of the trespasser, or "lost person" and instructed them to correct thee situation with one action. No excuses left for them. Of course, check with your attorney for prudence sake.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Everybody please calm down and remember that advocating violence will not be tolerated here.
Yac.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 AM

4,827 posts, read 4,646,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down and remember that advocating violence will not be tolerated here.
Yac.
Got it.

I just find this story so crazy.

I don't know much about the laws in Texas but from what I've heard (and I might be wrong) it is legal to use deadly force if someone trespasses on your land. There may be more to that law such as giving a warning first but I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or