Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times

Advertisements

West Texas rancher shoots 2 men he alleges were trespassing, transports them to fire station - El Paso Times

Fabens, Texas

The shooting occurred in Hudspeth County, where Sheriff Arvin West last year advised farmers to "arm yourselves" because of fear of violence spilling across the border.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2011 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Lock him in jail just like you would with any other criminal who shoots people without cause.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM

It's not uncommon to see lost souls out in Hudspeth County:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jasonpenney/hudspeth_county_land.htm (broken link)

I was traveling South (of Sierra Blanca) early one morning on FM 1111. I ran into a couple with Florida Tags on their vehicle. They both had the lost look on their faces and had maps in hand. I knew immediately, that they had bought land sight unseen and were out looking for it. I had seen this same scenario many times before. As I pulled up beside them, the female in the passenger seat waved for me to stop. When I did, she asked me if I knew where the ????? Ranch was at. I told her that I did and showed them how to get there. As soon as she saw it, they both began to look even more confused. The man in the car told me, "there must be some mistake, we bought this land off of the internet and this is not even close to how it was described". I assured them that this was the land in question and pointed them in the direction of some others who had also purchased land there. I told them if they wanted to ask questions, they could go talk to the man living in the cardboard shack (pointing it out to them). The woman looked at me with a very sad look and said, "I can't believe this, we bought this land off of the internet when (we) got married. We had planned to come out here and live. We were told that there were jobs locally and future development projects in the area". I felt bad for them and recommended that they go to the court house to also check on tax liens. I wished them luck and drove away. About 4 hours later, I again found them parked on the side of the road South of Sierra Blanca. This time, the man was hugging his wife as she was crying.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Lock him in jail just like you would with any other criminal who shoots people without cause.
He had good cause - they were Hispanic right?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

I was traveling South (of Sierra Blanca) early one morning on FM 1111. I ran into a couple with Florida Tags on their vehicle. They both had the lost look on their faces and had maps in hand. I knew immediately, that they had bought land sight unseen and were out looking for it. I had seen this same scenario many times before. As I pulled up beside them, the female in the passenger seat waved for me to stop. When I did, she asked me if I knew where the ????? Ranch was at. I told her that I did and showed them how to get there. As soon as she saw it, they both began to look even more confused. The man in the car told me, "there must be some mistake, we bought this land off of the internet and this is not even close to how it was described". I assured them that this was the land in question and pointed them in the direction of some others who had also purchased land there. I told them if they wanted to ask questions, they could go talk to the man living in the cardboard shack (pointing it out to them). The woman looked at me with a very sad look and said, "I can't believe this, we bought this land off of the internet when (we) got married. We had planned to come out here and live. We were told that there were jobs locally and future development projects in the area". I felt bad for them and recommended that they go to the court house to also check on tax liens. I wished them luck and drove away. About 4 hours later, I again found them parked on the side of the road South of Sierra Blanca. This time, the man was hugging his wife as she was crying.
Gee, how can anyone be so stupid and buy land (or anything expensive) without examining it first?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

That's a common scam that simpleton's fall for regularly.

Years ago, there was one in New Mexico called "Deming Estates" and another up in Colorado near San Luis which brought in the same kind of suckers. Even in our earliest history, both Harrod and Daniel Boone made a fortune selling junk land to foolish easterner's in Kentucky and the railroads got rich selling waterless prairie and desert lands alongside their track rights.

When will people ever learn? NEVER, EVER buy land without seeing it first!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,520,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
He had good cause - they were Hispanic right?

Some people think that's reason enough.

Fortunately, the law says otherwise, and that guy can probably look forward to living for a few years as a guest of Texas taxpayers in Huntsville, where he'll get to meet a LOT of Hispanic's who may not appreciate what he did.

If he survives, he'll likely come out with a different attitude.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When will people ever learn? NEVER, EVER buy land without seeing it first!
Unless you look Hispanic and are near the border. You might get shot.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,209,830 times
Sounds like the rancher gave the trespassers fair warning. So what, did they want a translation or something? I suspect they should be thankful he took them to town for help.

Trespasser. What else does anyone need to know?

Last edited by Willsson; 05-12-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Gee, how can anyone be so stupid and buy land (or anything expensive) without examining it first?
Blame the internets: sunsetranches.com/home/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.