Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,850,595 times

Advertisements

Where's the Rancher's version of the story?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Sounds like the rancher gave the trespassers fair warning. So what, did they want a translation or something? I suspect they should be thankful the took them to town for help.

Trespasser. What else does anyone need to know?
Land out there is poorly marked - if it is marked at all.

NewsChannel 9 EXCLUSIVE: Man Shot in Hudspeth County Speaks | KTSM News Channel 9
A short trip to scout land went horribly wrong when Norangel Velez and his dad made a wrong turn onto property that wasn't theirs.

"Before we knew it all we head was gunshots. And we were yelling at whoever it was to stop, we were raising our hands, stop, stop, we're just driving through and he unloaded a whole clip on us," Velez said.
Moderator cut: quote shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2011 at 02:34 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It's not uncommon to see lost souls out in Hudspeth County:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jasonpenney/hudspeth_county_land.htm (broken link)

I was traveling South (of Sierra Blanca) early one morning on FM 1111. I ran into a couple with Florida Tags on their vehicle. They both had the lost look on their faces and had maps in hand. I knew immediately, that they had bought land sight unseen and were out looking for it. I had seen this same scenario many times before. As I pulled up beside them, the female in the passenger seat waved for me to stop. When I did, she asked me if I knew where the ????? Ranch was at. I told her that I did and showed them how to get there. As soon as she saw it, they both began to look even more confused. The man in the car told me, "there must be some mistake, we bought this land off of the internet and this is not even close to how it was described". I assured them that this was the land in question and pointed them in the direction of some others who had also purchased land there. I told them if they wanted to ask questions, they could go talk to the man living in the cardboard shack (pointing it out to them). The woman looked at me with a very sad look and said, "I can't believe this, we bought this land off of the internet when (we) got married. We had planned to come out here and live. We were told that there were jobs locally and future development projects in the area". I felt bad for them and recommended that they go to the court house to also check on tax liens. I wished them luck and drove away. About 4 hours later, I again found them parked on the side of the road South of Sierra Blanca. This time, the man was hugging his wife as she was crying.
Good story. For years and years I would see adds claiming that you could 'own land' in West Texas for $40 or so an acre. I saw that same blasted ad in the last year or two, and I think it was up to $200. Anyway, back in the 1970s I was told that the acreage is in a part of West Texas that is literally impossible to get to: no roads or anything; just desert land.

Since that person is still running his or her ad 30+ years later, I guess he or she still gets enough people buying the land sight unseen.

Just looked on Ebay: I will not link the ad for west Texas land, but here was the selling point:

"This property is located in Van Horn, just outside of El Paso, TX. This is great investment land is near lake, and also has plenty of majestic pies.There is a public road nearby."

Pies! Now they are talking!

Last edited by legalsea; 05-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: heck of it

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Rancher Reportedly Shoots Men, Drives Them To Get Treatment - News Story - KVIA El Paso
While the shooting may be rare, Hudspeth resident George Brenzovich said trespassing happens all the time. He said that's why he and his wife carry firearms.
"You can't run inside to get a gun if you need it," Brenzovich told ABC-7. "It needs to be on you and available."
Living within view of a 14-mile gap in the border fence along the Rio Grande, he showed ABC-7 a photo of U.S. Border Patrol agents apprehending a man on his property.
Investigators have not said whether the men shot Wednesday were in the country illegally.
Brenzovich said with law enforcement stretched thin in the area, neighbors have a written pact to help each other.
"We felt so strongly about it, we put it in writing," he said. "We can't count on anybody else out here."

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Sounds like some inconsistencies in the story.

Velez implies the rancher shot them while in their vehicle. But yet says 'after his father jumped on top'.
Quote:
Velez told KTSM he was shot once and his father was shot three times after his father jumped on top of him and saved his life.
So, did something change while the camera was rolling?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Sounds like the rancher gave the trespassers fair warning. So what, did they want a translation or something? I suspect they should be thankful he took them to town for help.

It's illegal to shoot people who represent no threat to you?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Where's the Rancher's version of the story?
Exactly. They were trespassing. I would ike to know if the property was marked. These 2 seem to speak good English. There has to be more to this story.
I have read about too many ranches that were in the family for generations, then forced to sell out, or abandon their land, because they aren't allowed to defend it.
If they would secure the border, and enforce the laws we have now, none of this crap would happen - instead Obama sues Arizona. This is Obama's fault.
Quote:
Norangel convinced the rancher to drive the pair to get help, and he did. The men ended up here, at the Fabens fire station.
EMT's met them there and whisked Norangel's father to the hospital. He's expected to survive but Norangel says this is far from over.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Sounds like the rancher gave the trespassers fair warning. So what, did they want a translation or something? I suspect they should be thankful he took them to town for help.

Exactly. We're at war with illegals. In a war, your shoot first and ask questions later.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
So its now ok to shoot people in the back just because they are on your property and unarmed?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Exactly. We're at war with illegals. In a war, your shoot first and ask questions later.
So what if it turns out that they were US citizens? Would it still be ok to shoot first and ask later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration