U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,684,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I haven't read the GA law or Obama's comments but let me guess, OK?

The GA law is unconstitutional and the President pointed that out.
Am I close?

"The Georgia law imposes new criminal penalties on anyone employing illegal immigrants. It also imposes new criminal penalties on anyone who uses fraudulent identification in order to get a job and on those who transport or “harbor” illegal immigrants. The law also gives law enforcement officers in the state the power to enforce federal immigration laws in certain circumstances and requires most private employers to use a federal verification system known as E-Verify to screen those who have been hired for jobs."

Please tell me how that is unconstitutional.

That is basically the Federal Law being enforced by the state of Georgia.

Here are key points in the illegal immigration law. The law:
  • Creates a new criminal offense of aggravated identity fraud for anyone willfully using fraudulent documents to get a job. A person under 21 would be punished by 1-3 years in prison and/or a fine up to $5,000. Those 21 and up would face minimally 1-10 years in jail and/or a fine up to $100,000.
  • Empowers any peace officer with probable cause to believe a person has committed a criminal offense, including a traffic offense, to investigate their immigration status if they cannot produce valid identification and detain them if they are found to be in the country illegally.
  • States that a person’s race, color or country of origin is not to be a determinant in investigating their immigration status.
  • States that a person who contacts the police to report a crime, as a witness to a crime or victim of a crime will not have their status investigated.
  • Requires that when anyone is held in county or municipal jail for any reason, an effort is made to verify that they are in the country legally and if they are not in the country legally, immigration authorities will be notified and they will be subject to detention.
  • Creates a new criminal offense: transporting or moving an illegal alien. Creates a new criminal offense: knowingly and intentionally inducing an illegal alien to enter Georgia. Penalties range from less than 1 year in jail and/or a fine to 1-5 years in jail and/or a fine.
  • Creates a new criminal offense: concealing or harboring an illegal alien. Harboring is defined to mean anything that substantially helps an illegal alien to remain in the United States. Exceptions are: a person helping infants or children, a crime victim, in a medical emergency, a person offering privately funded social services, or attorney-client representation. Penalties mirror those for transporting an illegal alien.
  • Requires any private employer with more than 10 employees to use the federal E-Verify program to determine that any newly hired employee is in the country legally. This will be effective on Jan. 1, 2012 for employers with 500 or more employees, July 2012 for employers of 100 up to 499 employees and July 1, 2013 for employers of more than 10 but fewer than 100 employees. In order to receive a business license or renew a license, businesses will have to show they are registered with E-Verify. Violation of this will be a criminal offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 PM

472 posts, read 631,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, how many States is that? How many are right behind? Is he going to fight EVERY State even if it's 40?
Even if it's all 57 states.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 PM

89 posts, read 103,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, how many States is that? How many are right behind? Is he going to fight EVERY State even if it's 40?

Nope, he is going to fight all 57 of them.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,246,562 times
I thought Obama was our Prez. Guess Im wrong.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:39 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,711,375 times
Interesting that GA sees how illegal immigration HAS negatively impacted the ability of AMERICANS to get jobs. In these tough times, the last thing we need is more competion for scarce jobs. GA is just supporting laws ALREADY in place for federal employment and federal contractors. It is not an issue when the federal government requires background checks and e verify, but an issue for private employers to do the same?

Good for them, now how many other states will follow? I am betting many southern states.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,343,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I thought Obama was our Prez. Guess Im wrong.
And the funny part is, Obama doesn't even care about the legal Mexican-Americans living here. You're still gonna get pulled over and thrown in jail if you're driving drunk but not the Mexican living here illegally.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,246,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting that GA sees how illegal immigration HAS negatively impacted the ability of AMERICANS to get jobs. In these tough times, the last thing we need is more competion for scarce jobs. GA is just supporting laws ALREADY in place for federal employment and federal contractors. It is not an issue when the federal government requires background checks and e verify, but an issue for private employers to do the same?

Good for them, now how many other states will follow? I am betting many southern states.
I have some homies from Georgia and people may call them white trash, etc. but they take care of business.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,711,375 times
Most of my friends from GA are upper middle class African-Americans, who see illegals taking jobs from African Americans. They are not "white trash". My friend in Atlanta was outraged that a team of Hispanics came to her home from a maid service, none spoke English, and she felt like they were talking about her in Spanish. She thinks they were illeglas. She fired the service.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 AM

4,783 posts, read 7,606,006 times
The number one role of the President is to protect the legal citizens of this country - not the citizens of another one.

I was disgusted with Bush on this issue, and I'm disgusted with Obama, and I voted for him. This goes all the way back to everyones favorite "Prez" Reagan and 1986.

Our leaders are not leaders in any sense of the word anymore.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:29 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,107,865 times
Obama should be the president of Mexico since this POS loves them so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or