U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
...So, after doing some research...it seems like this is not unusual at all...just very much unreported. And very heartbreaking.
You provide three links - Two with articles about elderly abuse, with no mention about immigration or "Green Cards". The last is about marriage to U.S. citizens (legal immigration), with no mention about the elderly. CIS is wrong about sponsorship levels, "non-partisan" does not mean they are unbiased towards legal immigration.

Your "research" is lacking in very much detail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I work with alot of elderly people in my job, and many of them are lonely, men, whose wives have died, and their families live far away. The men usually get a care taker, sometimes from an agency...usually a woman who does not speak much English...and these elderly men depend on these women to help them with their activities of daily living, bathing, cooking, dressing, shopping, and become quite attached to these women...which is fine...the issue is...I have seen this happen several times now, is that they get married, and the MINUTE the woman gets her papers that she is legal, she cleans out the account, and leaves.

I have now heard this same story, several times...what on earth is the ETHICS of these women?!

We need to stop the women who come here, and prey on lonely, elderly men...yes, these men do need to be protected from this type of emotional abuse.

One guy I spoke with today, his wife called the police on him, for domestic violence, and now, he has been researching this...after she left him...and found out that if he had been charged, she could have stayed here legally earlier...

And these men feel so hurt, and used, that they don't report this at all, to anyone...and just sort of discuss it, with a sigh...and think that maybe she will come back one day...

This is a crime, and not even reported...or even investigated in any newspapers that I have seen on this issue. And it is happening every day here ...
Yes it does happen --- all the time. I think it's time they clamp down on the green card marriage visa scams.

I have friends (Mexican American btw) whose dad ran into this. He was in his 80, and got suckered into a marriage with a women in her early 40's.

Poor guy ended up in big credit card debt, his sons were able to rescue the house from this conniving woman but she was immediately bringing over her entire clan. He had lived his entire life with no debt. He was widowed but before then raised his kids, supported his family and had one credit card for convenience, proud that he always paid it on time and had no balance.

Marriage to an American citizen really paid off for her. Several of her children and grandchildren are now living here, the taxpayers end up paying because this guy's money ran out quickly and he's now passed away. Of course she has no intention of paying off that credit card she ran up. He was humiliated when the credit collectors came after him and he had no ability to pay and this woman had managed to get his social security checks from him.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Start by documenting what you know here. Immigration status, method of entry into the United States, and length of the marriage are not minor details in these cases. In fact an I-601 (taking your topic title at face value, that you are assuming the caretakers are illegal immigrants) typically processes at the U.S. Consulate in their home country. Mexico has a faster program that is being tested, but it is not a quick and easy route.

Age differences are analyzed heavily. Short marriages get "conditional" Resident Cards (if approved) that must have both parties participate in Adjustment of Status later. "Stokes" interviews will grill the couple separately for any discrepancies.

Sure, I know some incidents occur, but how you are avoiding many details doesn't quite match up (the U.S. Consulates will catch on to many schemes earlier than you think). How many specific cases are you aware of? My first thought was to stay away, and see this fail the laugh test in official channels.

But I know how unsubstantiated rumors get carried through on forums, and become fodder for fear-mongering...

Please provide a few more details...
You obviously know little of what's going on. Age differences of 40 plus years are not looked at. Marriage to a citizen is known very well to be a way to get around the legal immigration laws.

I personally know of a number of cases. Immigration lawyers where I live will even advise an illegal who has no other possible way of obtaining legal status to just find some citizen to marry.

I know a Chinese immigrant who was here on a student visa, stayed on and had a job, who quickly married when INS was after him and got to stay.

It happens all the time, the green card marriage visas is one of the easiest quickest ways around the laws.

Of course couples who abide by the laws and the fiance is not already living here illegally have to go through hoops.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Illegals cannot adjust their status by marrying an American. If they apply for residency on this basis they will be deported with a ten year ban on re-entering.
A more likely scenario is a legal resident or citizen preying on lonely old men and cleaning them out.
I think if an illegal was inspected when they entered (passed thru border control) they maybe able to adjust upon marriage to a US citizen.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM

254 posts, read 520,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You obviously know little of what's going on. Age differences of 40 plus years are not looked at. Marriage to a citizen is known very well to be a way to get around the legal immigration laws.

I personally know of a number of cases. Immigration lawyers where I live will even advise an illegal who has no other possible way of obtaining legal status to just find some citizen to marry.

I know a Chinese immigrant who was here on a student visa, stayed on and had a job, who quickly married when INS was after him and got to stay.

It happens all the time, the green card marriage visas is one of the easiest quickest ways around the laws.

Of course couples who abide by the laws and the fiance is not already living here illegally have to go through hoops.
But you only get a conditional permanent residence... if the marriage is terminated the status is lost, unless the couple can show that the marriage was in fact in good faith... there is no good faith in these cases the status would be lost.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
But you only get a conditional permanent residence... if the marriage is terminated the status is lost, unless the couple can show that the marriage was in fact in good faith... there is no good faith in these cases the status would be lost.
Very rarely are illegals ever deported, marriage scam or no marriage scam.

Once over the border an a couple feet into the USA, almost never is anything ever done about them. Visa overstays the same thing. There is no expectation that these people abide by the laws -- if their visas run out and they feel like staying, they stay.

It takes quite a lot to be deported. A few homicides, several DWI's.

The green card marriage scam is more about getting at someone's social security check, pension, and credit cards, getting a nice house, the inheritance. There's almost no reason to fear being deported.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,134,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Illegals cannot adjust their status by marrying an American. If they apply for residency on this basis they will be deported with a ten year ban on re-entering.
A more likely scenario is a legal resident or citizen preying on lonely old men and cleaning them out.
Exactly, and sadly, this is nothing new. It's been going on for a long time. It's simply being given more attention now.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM

74 posts, read 92,470 times
Criminals will commit crimes, whether with legal status or without.

Nothing new here.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
Criminals will commit crimes, whether with legal status or without.

Nothing new here.
Except that without those here illegally there would be that much less crime.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,958,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except that without those here illegally there would be that much less crime.
But the number of illegals pulling the marry-an-old-American-man scam is tiny if not zero. The OP doesn't mention an age range but malamute claims that US Immigration scrutinized and approved a marriage between a 40 year old illegal and and 80 year old man. I don't buy it. It's hard enough for legitimate marriage applications to pass the sniff test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or