U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What is he whining about?
Bland aint whining: he MANS up and does the right thing. Other growers need to take the hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 09:06 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,361,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Bland aint whining: he MANS up and does the right thing. Other growers need to take the hint.
He is still bringing in foreign workers instead of hiring unemployed Americans. The problem with these produce farmers is that, like other greedy employers, they want to rake in more and more profit, but don't want to pay a decent wage to those who help them get their product to market. I've picked cotton, and I've also grown my own fruit and vegetables, in a two acre plot. Its HARD work! Its dirty, backbreaking work. It is deserving of higher pay to compensate for the the damage that will be done to ones body over time. We don't bat and eye over the fact that actors, sports players, musicians, etc... are raking in MILLIONS of dollars for merely entertaining us, yet employers balk when it comes to paying a decent wage to those who are trying to raise families, pay for life's necessities and medical bills, etc. What the hell is wrong with society?

Old 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM

254 posts, read 520,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
He is still bringing in foreign workers instead of hiring unemployed Americans. The problem with these produce farmers is that, like other greedy employers, they want to rake in more and more profit, but don't want to pay a decent wage to those who help them get their product to market. I've picked cotton, and I've also grown my own fruit and vegetables, in a two acre plot. Its HARD work! Its dirty, backbreaking work. It is deserving of higher pay to compensate for the the damage that will be done to ones body over time. We don't bat and eye over the fact that actors, sports players, musicians, etc... are raking in MILLIONS of dollars for merely entertaining us, yet employers balk when it comes to paying a decent wage to those who are trying to raise families, pay for life's necessities and medical bills, etc. What the hell is wrong with society?
The wage is set by the department of labor not the employer, if he wants to bring temporary workers he needs to demonstrate that not enough American workers are there to take the job.

My point is, I don't think people following the rules should be criticized, the ones that hire illegal immigrants should, as those are bringing the wages down.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:09 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
The wage is set by the department of labor not the employer, if he wants to bring temporary workers he needs to demonstrate that not enough American workers are there to take the job.

My point is, I don't think people following the rules should be criticized, the ones that hire illegal immigrants should, as those are bringing the wages down.
Granted, this video relates to H1B visas, but Iím sure the same unethical practices are used by employers to qualify for participation in the H2A visa program. Also, it is my understanding the prevailing wage is required to be paid under H2A, although without proper oversight, employers will pay as they choose.

YouTube - ‪PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo‬‏

Old 05-24-2011, 10:51 PM

254 posts, read 520,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Granted, this video relates to H1B visas, but Iím sure the same unethical practices are used by employers to qualify for participation in the H2A visa program. Also, it is my understanding the prevailing wage is required to be paid under H2A, although without proper oversight, employers will pay as they choose.

YouTube - ‪PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo‬‏
So you roam around the forum requesting precise information, numbers, studies and now you claim fraud on the H2A program with a video related to H1B...

Well to begin with the video is talking about the PERM application which is used to file for permanent residence for an H1B worker, in the case a US worker is found the H1B cannot become a permanent resident until none are found... H2A does not have this procedure at all... there is no PERM because H2A is a non-immigrant visa.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM

951 posts, read 616,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
One of my best friend's is from North Dakota and every year they manage to get crops in around their towns WITHOUT hiring illegals or so-called "guest workers." Not only do they recruit from throughout the towns in N.D., they also recruit American workers from other states, provide them with decent shelter, and pay them a FAIR wage! Her family have been farming this area for well over 140 years and have never yet hired illegals or other non-Americans.
Farming in ND is a lot smaller scale and easier to do than large fruit/vegetable farms. Their primary crops are wheat/barley/soybeans so they don't need people on the ground working. They are hiring a tractor driver or two and a truck driver or two at the most. The only farmers doing anything larger that require people on the ground are sugar beet farmers (mostly in MN, along the border though) and a large percentage of their workers are illegal immigrants hired to work the fields and pilers. How do I know? I drove truck for Crystal Sugar for the beet harvest there multiple years.

Last edited by huddledmasses; 05-24-2011 at 11:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or