U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The family in question had only been in the country six years. It may take them some months to adjust to their new environment but they will do fine. It comes at a perfect time when the children are still small and, according to the video, they don't speak Spanish. They can pick up the language fast.
This is such a myth. Who raised their kids? An English speaking nanny? I agree, they will be fine because they already know the Old Countries language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's highly unlikely that this family forget it's mother tongue in 6 years.

And funny it didn't matter to them that when they came, they came to a country with a different language none of them understood, it only matters on the return trip home?
My thoughts exactly.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Most of us know that you have to go through bad times and hard life in order to get to the
good.
Illegals always seem to stop at the crossroads and whine for sympathy.
If this was reversed where they were having a hard time getting across the border, they'd find a way no matter how hard it was.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If this was reversed where they were having a hard time getting across the border, they'd find a way no matter how hard it was.
Amen, truer words were never spoken.

+1 to you........

Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is such a myth. Who raised their kids? An English speaking nanny? I agree, they will be fine because they already know the Old Countries language.
Many do live in an all english community where very little Spanish is spoken. Besides, your interpretation of "knowing a language" may not be the same as another country. Spanglish is not considered a language and it is looked down at when spoken in Latin America. The kids will do fine because they are still young enough to learn and dominate the language and they young enough to adapt to their new environment...assuming that six years ago they were taken to the U.S. as infants. They don't strike me to be teenagers or young adults yet.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Many do live in an all english community where very little Spanish is spoken. Besides, your interpretation of "knowing a language" may not be the same as another country. Spanglish is not considered a language and it is looked down at when spoken in Latin America. The kids will do fine because they are still young enough to learn and dominate the language and they young enough to adapt to their new environment...assuming that six years ago they were taken to the U.S. as infants. They don't strike me to be teenagers or young adults yet.
Teenagers and young adults enter this country illegally on a daily basis. Some even enter without their parents. If they arenít concerned about their new environment here, they should likewise, be fine when they return home.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Teenagers and young adults enter this country illegally on a daily basis. Some even enter without their parents. If they arenít concerned about their new environment here, they should likewise, be fine when they return home.
And if they don't do fine, it's their own da*n fault.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
So, answer my question if you'd like. If in an English only environment where the adult speaks no or little English, how do they communicate with the child? There are so many articles where they interview the people and the adult (in Spanish) says they are worried because the kid speaks little Spanish. How is this possible. Answer, it's not possible.

It's a myth. Another lie for the DREAM team to gain support for another shamnesty.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So, answer my question if you'd like. If in an English only environment where the adult speaks no or little English, how do they communicate with the child? There are so many articles where they interview the people and the adult (in Spanish) says they are worried because the kid speaks little Spanish. How is this possible. Answer, it's not possible.

It's a myth. Another lie for the DREAM team to gain support for another shamnesty.
Where you really looking for an answer from me or are you telling me what the answer is?

Erase from your memory what you know about illegal immigration for a minute if you will and look at the Latino culture. There are many that have kept the language because their parents force them speak Spanish at home. Others are told they must learn English and focus only on speaking English.

I've met several families where their parents speak Spanish and understand English but the children are just the opposite. They speak English and they only understand Spanish. I know it sounds ironic but when you hear them communicate, they understand each other in the opposite language.

Such was the case of Richard Rodriguez a Mexican American scholar. When he started, he could barely speak English. He was told by his teachers to stop speaking in Spanish so he could dominate the English language. So his parents asked him to speak only English. Although he could understand Spanish, he felt so distanced from his relatives whom all spoke Spanish. He unfortunately could not communicate with his grandparents and they all lived in this country. Imagine a child who returns to his/her parent's country and could not communicate with anyone except the parents.

Richard Rodriguez Biography

Now please read his book titled "Hunger for Memory" and come back and tell me that it is bull.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:12 AM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
I'm sure the book is heart rending like all illegal alien stories are and I refuse to read it. I am sick of these illegal alien sob stories. What about all the other legal immigrants who settled into this country. They had the same language problems and they learned and spoke their new native tongue. They didn't have the luxury of the government and state governments printing out almost everything bi-lingual..

Many Italian and German families living here legally do speak both their native language and celebrate their native holidays, they follow and respect and obey the laws of their new adopted country.

That cannot be said about the crop of illegal alien's who have been pouring into America. They take our jobs, they infect us with their diseases, they kill and rape our women and children they heap scorn on the American Flag. They smuggle drugs into my country, They take our financial resources away from Americans.

The Mexican government refuses to do anything about this invasion because of all the millions and millions of American dollars being shipped back home. And they are getting rid of the dregs of their society, pushing them north to America.

I don't care if God wrote a book about the plight of illegal alien invaders I wouldn't read it.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these law breakers, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration