U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What? that like saying my roof doesnt leak, if it doesn't rain. Immigration status check is the reason for E-verify.

Maybe it should be called E-Maybe...
Better than E-nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM

108 posts, read 134,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Women routinely change their names on SS cards due to marriage or divorce. I fail to see how it would be prohibitive with the new cards. But, I guess any excuse will do when trying to defend illegals. Clearly, our current cards are ripe for fraud, and must be changed.

The cards will be funded the same way they are currently funded. However, without illegal aliens, there would be no need to modify our system. Chances are we will have to change our driverís licenses as well to prevent illegals from duplicating. It will always cost to stay one step ahead of scoundrels. But, we must do what is necessary. Or, would you suggest we continue to allow illegal aliens to steal identities, and ruin lives?

By the way, every baby born in a hospital in this country is fingerprinted. In addition, a SS card is issued within weeks of birth. Shall we discontinue this expensive process?
You have to have documentation to do this. An original court order, birth certificate, marriage license, etc. Copies don't cut it, you have to have the original or notorized documents from the court.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Far cheaper. It could be put under TSA, CBP or simply Homeland Security.
But then it isn't a Social Security Card. Replacing a lost or stolen Resident Card is over $400 if it includes biometric data (immigrants 14 years or older). Do you have offices to take the photos (passport photos are sent in with the application) and issue the cards, or do you allow them to be delivered by mail?

All for work authorization?...

Would a U.S. citizen be required to carry their card always (and at what age?), or like the current card is treated (hopefully locked away somewhere safe until needed)? What are the penalties to the employer if they thought the photograph was close enough, but they were unable to check the fingerprint data? How does the employer verify that they have fully checked the card (in other words, just giving the Social Security number is not proof, do they need to make a copy and keep records?)?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But then it isn't a Social Security Card. Replacing a lost or stolen Resident Card is over $400 if it includes biometric data (immigrants 14 years or older). Do you have offices to take the photos (passport photos are sent in with the application) and issue the cards, or do you allow them to be delivered by mail?

All for work authorization?...

Would a U.S. citizen be required to carry their card always (and at what age?), or like the current card is treated (hopefully locked away somewhere safe until needed)? What are the penalties to the employer if they thought the photograph was close enough, but they were unable to check the fingerprint data? How does the employer verify that they have fully checked the card (in other words, just giving the Social Security number is not proof, do they need to make a copy and keep records?)?
It's really not that hard. They do it now. If a no match is found they have to correct it, right? We had people that had to bring in documentation. We also had 11 people that just decided not to come back to work after our E-verify audit two years ago.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM

777 posts, read 923,307 times
Texan your questions are valid and as an Arizonan I too am interested the answers. While I don't know the answers what I find interesting about the whole Pei Wei affair was that the illegals tipped themselves off by talking to reporters at an anti SB1070 rally proclaiming that they were illegal and that Pei Wei should try to replace them cause they weren't showing up for work..They were so proud and so in the face of the reporters and so ignorant to the fact that "People" actually watch TV. The illegal employees (that were on camera) were fired and within 6 months the business was raided.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Texan your questions are valid and as an Arizonan I too am interested the answers. While I don't know the answers what I find interesting about the whole Pei Wei affair was that the illegals tipped themselves off by talking to reporters at an anti SB1070 rally proclaiming that they were illegal and that Pei Wei should try to replace them cause they weren't showing up for work..They were so proud and so in the face of the reporters and so ignorant to the fact that "People" actually watch TV. The illegal employees (that were on camera) were fired and within 6 months the business was raided.
Not the brightest move eh?

I Stand With Pei Wei | Facebook

Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
You have to have documentation to do this. An original court order, birth certificate, marriage license, etc. Copies don't cut it, you have to have the original or notorized documents from the court.
I know the procedure. I did it when I married, and again when I divorced (reclaimed my maiden name.) Actually, it was rather simple.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 AM

796 posts, read 1,334,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmce View Post
but it's common to send to the state for a birth, death, or other certificate... that is then generated by the computer system, on a special embossed form. it doesn't look anything like the original that was filled out by humans years ago.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 AM

796 posts, read 1,334,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Women routinely change their names on SS cards due to marriage or divorce. I fail to see how it would be prohibitive with the new cards. But, I guess any excuse will do when trying to defend illegals. Clearly, our current cards are ripe for fraud, and must be changed.

The cards will be funded the same way they are currently funded. However, without illegal aliens, there would be no need to modify our system. Chances are we will have to change our driverís licenses as well to prevent illegals from duplicating. It will always cost to stay one step ahead of scoundrels. But, we must do what is necessary. Or, would you suggest we continue to allow illegal aliens to steal identities, and ruin lives?

By the way, every baby born in a hospital in this country is fingerprinted. In addition, a SS card is issued within weeks of birth. Shall we discontinue this expensive process?
wait, i thought newborn babies were FOOTPRINTED. rather than fingerprinted. or is that old school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration