U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times

Advertisements

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/america...ont-do-anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Almost 3 months after the March 4th raid is a perfect time to go back and check on Arizona's preformance on upholding its immigration laws.

I wonder why no news media outlet or Arizona governmental oversight committee has released any information on the outcome of the raids?

If I were an Arizonan, I would like like to know...

~ Of those charged and arrested for Identity theft or fraud, how many were tried, convicted, and deported?

~ Of the 120 warrants issued, how many of those were executed and procecuted?

~ What fines did Pei Wei restuarants recieve for hirring illegal alien workers?

~ With E-Verify mandatory for every hire in Arizona since 2008, how was it that Pei Wei restuarants were able to hire amost 200 fraudulant workers?

Seems to me, simplistic to look at jobs lost and gained without a real examination of Arizona's systemic failure to uphold Federal immigration laws...and even more hypocritical[but not surprisingly] their faliure to uphold Arizona state immigration law.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Almost 3 months after the March 4th raid is a perfect time to go back and check on Arizona's preformance on upholding its immigration laws.

I wonder why no news media outlet or Arizona governmental oversight committee has released any information on the outcome of the raids?

~ Of those charged and arrested for Identity theft or fraud, how many were tried, convicted, and deported?

~ With E-Verify mandatory for every hire in Arizona since 2008, how was it that Pei Wei restuarants were able to hire more than 100 fraudulant workers?

Seems to me, simplistic to look at jobs lost and gained without a real examination of Arizona's systemic failure to uphold Federal immigration laws...and even more hypocritical[but not surprisingly] their faliure to uphold Arizona state immigration law.
If Arizona has failed to uphold Federal immigration laws a good example of why would be the federal intervention in denying them the right to implement sb1070. As for Pei Wei restaurants e-verify does not allow a business to check people already on the payroll, only new hires.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If Arizona has failed to uphold Federal immigration laws a good example of why would be the federal intervention in denying them the right to implement sb1070. As for Pei Wei restaurants e-verify does not allow a business to check people already on the payroll, only new hires.
The Federal govenment allows a state to partner with the federal goverment to implement US immigration laws as in the example of E-verify and LEA 287(g)...What the constitution does not allow Arizona or any other state to do is to write their own immigration laws that conflicts or usurps the power of the federal governmnt.

That would assume all the persons charged in the raid were hired prior to 2008? Is that the case?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The Federal govenment allows a state to partner with the federal goverment to implement US immigration laws as in the example of E-verify and LEA 287(g)...What the constitution does not allow Arizona or any other state to do is to write their own immigration laws that conflicts or usurps the power of the federal governmnt.

That would assume all the persons charged in the raid were hired prior to 2008? Is that the case?
Sb1070 mirrored federal law yet it got gutted.

I don't know. I didn't assume anything. Just saying that it could be the case in regards to Pei Wei.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Sb1070 mirrored federal law yet it got gutted.

I don't know. I didn't assume anything. Just saying that it could be the case in regards to Pei Wei.

You're exactly right, that could be the case...but wouldnt you like to know the actual case?

My question is to honesty look at why[if] E-verify did not alert/catch any of the fraudulant hires.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
You're exactly right, that could be the case...but wouldnt you like to know the actual case?

My question is to honesty look at why[if] E-verify did not alert/catch any of the fraudulant hires.
Of course but I don't live in Arizona. How does one find out such information? You brought it up so why don't you find out what the case was?

Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:

Specifically for Arizona, they're not enforcing their own legislation earlier than that. In 2007 Arizona enacted the Legal Arizona Workers Act (LAWA) which mandates Arizona employers to use E-Verify. SB1070 didn't re-address what LAWA established in that regard (it has sections on employment investigations and records, but assumes LAWA is enforced for E-Verify), so its point in the discussion is moot.

Arizona has its own employment laws, why would this even turn to a question about federal enforcement?...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Specifically for Arizona, they're not enforcing their own legislation earlier than that. In 2007 Arizona enacted the Legal Arizona Workers Act (LAWA) which mandates Arizona employers to use E-Verify. SB1070 didn't re-address what LAWA established in that regard (it has sections on employment investigations and records, but assumes LAWA is enforced for E-Verify), so its point in the discussion is moot.

Arizona has its own employment laws, why would this even turn to a question about federal enforcement?...
I am unaware of Arizona's immigration laws. I was aware that Arizona made it mandatory to confirm hires using E-verify since 2008.

The topic was the raids on Pei Wei restuarant on march 4th, hence my question if E-v was to be in use, then how did Pei Wei hire more than 150 fraudulant workers according to Sheriff Arpaio?

I dont think I referenced SB 1070 in my initial point/question.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:

~ With E-Verify mandatory for every hire in Arizona since 2008, how was it that Pei Wei restuarants were able to hire amost 200 fraudulant workers?
Quote:
I am unaware of Arizona's immigration laws. I was aware that Arizona made it mandatory to confirm hires using E-verify since 2008.

The topic was the raids on Pei Wei restuarant on march 4th, hence my question if E-v was to be in use, then how did Pei Wei hire more than 150 fraudulant workers according to Sheriff Arpaio?

I dont think I referenced SB 1070 in my initial point/question.
You posed the same question on the E-Verify thread.

Quote:
A post was started today touting the Pei Wei restuarant raids of March 4th...My question was if E-verify has been mandatory for all hires in Arizona since 2008, how did Sheriff Arpaio arrest 20 workers and charge 120 others for identity theft or fraud?

How did these fraudulant hires get by the E-verify system?
My response. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar
It’s simple. Rather than using a fake SSN, or a valid SSN with their name or an alias, they now use the name as it appears on a valid SS card. In other words, they “knowingly” steal the identities of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration