U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,648 posts, read 1,377,894 times
Reputation: 3168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
So you seem to be saying, this problem of...law enforcement having the right to check immigration status... is not a concern to the majority of Americans so changing the current law is not likely. OK.
WTF ? how on earth do you glean THAT from my posts.

Step off. Seriously. Don't twist my words around to suit yourself.

I'll say it with as few words and as simply as I can:

Law enforcement having the right to check immigration status is, I feel, a major concern of the American people. But just because we WANT it, doesn't mean that LE will be given the right to actually DO it. Ok ?


Similar to: I would love to sprout wings and fly to the moon and sing like Aretha Franklin, but it's never going to happen. Ok ?

I hope to God this makes my meaning clear, if it doesn't, I'm not sure what else I can do to make you understand.

 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 3,855,483 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
WTF ? how on earth do you glean THAT from my posts.

Step off. Seriously. Don't twist my words around to suit yourself.

I'll say it with as few words and as simply as I can:

Law enforcement having the right to check immigration status is, I feel, a major concern of the American people. But just because we WANT it, doesn't mean that LE will be given the right to actually DO it. Ok ?


Similar to: I would love to sprout wings and fly to the moon and sing like Aretha Franklin, but it's never going to happen. Ok ?

I hope to God this makes my meaning clear, if it doesn't, I'm not sure what else I can do to make you understand.
you have a understanding that laws are given or granted, there is another way to change law, when a majority of American want change, they recind or amend a law.

"There are SO many other things that I believe the majority wants".

These are your words...dont run form them now!

If a majority of Americans dont find this a problem, then America has spoken.

 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 3,702,865 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
A traffic stop is basically a Terry stop. The cop has a right to see the required documents. That is all. He has no rights to anything from the passengers.

If he arrests the guy for no license or such than whatever is the system at that facility to which he is taken would prevail.

But no the driver does not have to answer questions about his citizenship.

And the officer has no right to make the stop for the purpose of asking about citizenship.
Right on the money. I would add further that the driver is "detained", but not necessarily the passengers (if able they could request to leave). Unless the stop goes into a further search of the vehicle the passengers won't be questioned or searched themselves.

This should be fairly well understood and established; It is the most common police interaction with the public, happening thousands of times every day across the United States...
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 10,401,523 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
you have a understanding that laws are given or granted, there is another way to change law, when a majority of American want change, they recind or amend a law.

"There are SO many other things that I believe the majority wants".

These are your words...dont run form them now!

If a majority of Americans dont find this a problem, then America has spoken.
So then you are of the belief that when the majority has spoken verbally without benefit of vote that the pandering politicians will listen?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 10,401,523 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Right on the money. I would add further that the driver is "detained", but not necessarily the passengers (if able they could request to leave). Unless the stop goes into a further search of the vehicle the passengers won't be questioned or searched themselves.

This should be fairly well understood and established; It is the most common police interaction with the public, happening thousands of times every day across the United States...
If you had read my post in reply to him you would realize that isn't what I was advocating. The subject wasn't the passengers in a car. My scenario was about stopping a driver for violation of a traffic law. Are you saying that the police are questioning the passengers in those cars, illegally all over the country?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
 
9,187 posts, read 6,592,224 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Its very simple... if you believe that local[municipal, county, & state] law enforcement should have immigration in their jurisdiction [as one of their duties] change federal law and the constitution to make that happen...whats the big deal?

If so many Americans want this, then the law will pass quickly.
Local police already enforce federal drug laws.

They should be able to enforce Federal immigration laws.

Why you don't want illegals deported?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 30,847,700 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
WTF ? how on earth do you glean THAT from my posts.

Step off. Seriously. Don't twist my words around to suit yourself.

I'll say it with as few words and as simply as I can:

Law enforcement having the right to check immigration status is, I feel, a major concern of the American people. But just because we WANT it, doesn't mean that LE will be given the right to actually DO it. Ok ?
With the exception that the vast majority of the American people neither know nor care what a LEO can do we agree. There is a minority of the citizenry who care very much about the point...but it is not a majority.

Quote:
Similar to: I would love to sprout wings and fly to the moon and sing like Aretha Franklin, but it's never going to happen. Ok ?

I hope to God this makes my meaning clear, if it doesn't, I'm not sure what else I can do to make you understand.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,648 posts, read 1,377,894 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
you have a understanding that laws are given or granted, there is another way to change law, when a majority of American want change, they recind or amend a law.

"There are SO many other things that I believe the majority wants".

These are your words...dont run form them now!

If a majority of Americans dont find this a problem, then America has spoken.
I run from nothing. You keep twisting my words. And if you think The Powers that Be give a flying **** what the American people want, then you are seriously deluded. They are only going to do what benefits THEMSELVES, period. And if that means divide and conquer, so be it.

Divide & Conquer meaning: keep the peasants fighting amongst themselves so they have no time or energy to actually DO anything about everything that is ****ed up in this country.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 3,855,483 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I run from nothing. You keep twisting my words. And if you think The Powers that Be give a flying **** what the American people want, then you are seriously deluded. They are only going to do what benefits THEMSELVES, period. And if that means divide and conquer, so be it.

Divide & Conquer meaning: keep the peasants fighting amongst themselves so they have no time or energy to actually DO anything about everything that is ****ed up in this country.
So the peasants should revolt?...who are you going to revolt against? Who exactly are "the powers that be? Or are you just gonna start killiing soldiers or civil servants...whos on your target list?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,648 posts, read 1,377,894 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
So the peasants should revolt?...who are you going to revolt against? Who exactly are "the powers that be? Or are you just gonna start killiing soldiers or civil servants...whos on your target list?
Hey, I just raise the questions. I never said I had all the answers.

All I can say is that the general mood of the legal public isn't too good right now. People want change and it isn't happening. I'm not the only one who feels this way you know. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top