U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
that is not the topic...local law enforcement officers are not on the border enforcing immigration laws. Those persons are called Border Patrol agents and are Federal agents.

the question is not whether BP has he right to check incomming person's immigration status...it is whether that should be a function of local police officers.
Law Enforcement, get it? They enforce our laws. For some unknown reason you are under the false impression that ONLY the Border Patrol has the right to question non-citizens, or the right to arrest, prosecute, or incarcerate illegal aliens. Yes, the Border Patrol is assigned to our borders. But, our police officers have sworn to uphold ALL of our laws, including those pertaining to foreign nationals, both legal and illegal.

Do you think once illegals reach the interior of our country they are off-limits? Sorry, but immigration laws are enforceable in EVERY jurisdiction in this country.

DEA is our Federal Drug Enforcement agency, and they employ Federal Agents. Do you think only DEA has the legal right to question or arrest suspected drug dealers? If local police are on patrol and witness an illegal drug transaction, do you think they just shrug their shoulders and say, “Oh well, there is nothing we can do, because we aren’t federal agents.” No, they have every right to investigate. Likewise, local law enforcement officers do not have to become “immigration agents” to uphold immigration laws. That is simply the tired mantra of pro-illegals.

 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No dog in this hunt but I believe you're being diliberately obtuse. The poster is merely implying that "regardless of what an overwhelming majority of American citizens wish for or feel prudent; legislaters are governed by other concerns such as lobby groups or constituents that perhaps rely on illegal labour to maximize shareholder profits. He is saying as a comparator that he will be able to fly to the moon and sing like Aretha before legislaters will take their heads out of their butts and deal with the issue of illegal immigration.

My sincere apologies to the poster "Bandon" if I have overstepped the boundaries in attempting to quell this obfuscation nonsense from 1751texan. Your point was perfectly clear to myself and I suspect anyone else without an 'agenda'.
It was clear to me also what "Bandon's" post was about.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No dog in this hunt but I believe you're being diliberately obtuse. The poster is merely implying that "regardless of what an overwhelming majority of American citizens wish for or feel prudent; legislaters are governed by other concerns such as lobby groups or constituents that perhaps rely on illegal labour to maximize shareholder profits. He is saying as a comparator that he will be able to fly to the moon and sing like Aretha before legislaters will take their heads out of their butts and deal with the issue of illegal immigration.

My sincere apologies to the poster "Bandon" if I have overstepped the boundaries in attempting to quell this obfuscation nonsense from 1751texan. Your point was perfectly clear to myself and I suspect anyone else without an 'agenda'.
Amen!
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How are you gauging the number of illegal aliens in California from where you live?...
As follows. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think that's my fault. Damn with the transfer of experiences.


I didn't have to be on the ground during Hiroshima to know it was horrendous.
In addition, if our government and pro-illegals can guesstimate, why can’t I?
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What is your fixation with deportation? For the umpteenth time. . . . mass deportation will not be necessary if we strictly enforce our current laws, deny ALL benefits and services, and eliminate their ability to work.

Ten million illegals? You must be referring to California alone. You certainly can’t mean the entire country.




We were fooled once into believing amnesty would solve our problem. We would have to be morons to believe it again. It would be Amnesty Debacle II. Only, this time, the results would be far more devastating.
And you remain unable to deal with reality. Las Vegas is a prime example. We have no big time employers of illegals. They don't work on the strip where the combination of gaming controlled management, and a strong union pretty much block it totally. They do however work in every aspect of life. The cut the grass and wash the dishes. They clean the houses and they work in all aspects of the construction industry virtually always as subcontractors for a small hispanic crew. And in most of these arrangements only a portion of the crew is illegals. So you need to separate the illegals from their cousins and friends who are not.


Quote:
You are truly delusional if you actually believe that half of the citizens of this country support amnesty. In fact, amnesty is one of the few issues with bipartisan opposition.
******************
The public continues to favor tough measures to crack down on illegal immigration. Yet Americans see no contradiction in supporting both stepped-up border security and a way for people already in the United States illegally to gain citizenship.

****************** Pew Research Poll February 2011..

Public Favors Tougher Border Controls and Path to Citizenship | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press


***********************

RINCETON, N.J. -- As President Barack Obama renews his call for a comprehensive approach to addressing illegal immigration, Americans are about equally divided -- 50% to 45% -- over whether the government's main focus should be on halting the flow of illegal immigrants coming into the U.S., or on developing a plan to deal with those already here.

*************************

Gallup June 2010

And note that Gallup forced a choice rather than a both option.

Americans Closely Divided Over Immigration Reform Priority


Quote:
You didn’t answer my question, so I’ll ask again. If it is too expensive to enforce our current immigration laws, how will we suddenly have the resources to enforce “new” laws proposed by CIR? Illegal immigration is already bankrupting this country without illegals being eligible for many benefits. Imagine the astronomical costs if we legalized their status.

Moreover, who will pay for criminal background checks on 12-30 million illegals -- many, with several aliases? Who will pay for the medical exams, tax investigations, etc? And, please don’t say illegal aliens will pay, because we know darn well they won’t. Furthermore, if our government can’t even monitor current visa programs, how on earth will there be adequate oversight to ensure the amnestied illegals remain compliant?

You are entitled to believe that we must throw in the towel, and allow illegal aliens to subjugate this country (your dream). And, I am entitled to believe otherwise. Ultimately, we will see whose horse is dead.
Again you pick up numbers with no basis in fact. We have just over 10 million illegals.. And pretty good fresh census data confirming it.

The payment for background checks falls to the illegals. But first to get any shot at becoming citizens they have to register. And at last we know who and where.

YOu can raise strawmen as to why it won't work forever. But you actually have no alternative except the status quo. The only good news out of your position is that we will likely run out of suitable Mexican immigrants in less than 10 years. So you are volunteering to get that other 8 or 10 million here....because you are unable to deal with the required compromise. Note that in 10 years there will as well be another 5 or 6 million US citizen children of illegals. Further blocking any substantial action against the group.

Subjugate this country? Boy are your thoughts weird. The maids and gardeners are going to rise up and smite their lords?

Sure they are...sure.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And you remain unable to deal with reality. Las Vegas is a prime example. We have no big time employers of illegals. They don't work on the strip where the combination of gaming controlled management, and a strong union pretty much block it totally. They do however work in every aspect of life. The cut the grass and wash the dishes. They clean the houses and they work in all aspects of the construction industry virtually always as subcontractors for a small hispanic crew. And in most of these arrangements only a portion of the crew is illegals. So you need to separate the illegals from their cousins and friends who are not.




******************
The public continues to favor tough measures to crack down on illegal immigration. Yet Americans see no contradiction in supporting both stepped-up border security and a way for people already in the United States illegally to gain citizenship.

****************** Pew Research Poll February 2011..

Public Favors Tougher Border Controls and Path to Citizenship | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press


***********************

RINCETON, N.J. -- As President Barack Obama renews his call for a comprehensive approach to addressing illegal immigration, Americans are about equally divided -- 50% to 45% -- over whether the government's main focus should be on halting the flow of illegal immigrants coming into the U.S., or on developing a plan to deal with those already here.

*************************

Gallup June 2010

And note that Gallup forced a choice rather than a both option.

Americans Closely Divided Over Immigration Reform Priority




Again you pick up numbers with no basis in fact. We have just over 10 million illegals.. And pretty good fresh census data confirming it.

The payment for background checks falls to the illegals. But first to get any shot at becoming citizens they have to register. And at last we know who and where.

YOu can raise strawmen as to why it won't work forever. But you actually have no alternative except the status quo. The only good news out of your position is that we will likely run out of suitable Mexican immigrants in less than 10 years. So you are volunteering to get that other 8 or 10 million here....because you are unable to deal with the required compromise. Note that in 10 years there will as well be another 5 or 6 million US citizen children of illegals. Further blocking any substantial action against the group.

Subjugate this country? Boy are your thoughts weird. The maids and gardeners are going to rise up and smite their lords?

Sure they are...sure.
Clearly, your ethnic loyalty and amnesty agenda trumps all. However, we will see who is left standing when the dust settles. Until then, be VERY careful what you wish for.

Edit: “Oc” perhaps one day you will learn, when there is no challenge, there is no fun.

Last edited by Benicar; 05-31-2011 at 07:26 PM..
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Dalton Gardens
2,798 posts, read 5,360,350 times
Reputation: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We need too.
I think in most countries police can question your status.

Illegals came here & try to play the race card and quilt trip.
My husband is a British immigrant to this country, LEGALLY, and when he was granted legal permanent residency status he had to agree to ALWAYS carry proof of his right to live and work in this country. He also had to agree to PRODUCE that evidence if it is requested by ANY law enforcement officer. My British daughter-in-law is expected to follow these same rules. They aren't complaining about it! If I am stopped by law enforcement I expect that I will be asked to produce identification. I have no qualms about providing it. I grew up expecting to follow this as a matter of course. If a crime is committed in my neighborhood by a WHITE woman who fits my same general description I would expect the police to question me, because I fit the PROFILE. I have no problem with cooperating with the police.

The science of profiling has been highly successful in catching the perpetrators of crime, particularly murder, rape and serial killings.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
My husband is a British immigrant to this country, LEGALLY, and when he was granted legal permanent residency status he had to agree to ALWAYS carry proof of his right to live and work in this country. He also had to agree to PRODUCE that evidence if it is requested by ANY law enforcement officer. My British daughter-in-law is expected to follow these same rules. They aren't complaining about it! If I am stopped by law enforcement I expect that I will be asked to produce identification. I have no qualms about providing it. I grew up expecting to follow this as a matter of course. If a crime is committed in my neighborhood by a WHITE woman who fits my same general description I would expect the police to question me, because I fit the PROFILE. I have no problem with cooperating with the police.

The science of profiling has been highly successful in catching the perpetrators of crime, particularly murder, rape and serial killings.
Gosh I was lucky. My foreign born wife was never told any such thing and after 35 years in the USofA she became a citizen. But in the interim no one other than a border agent ever asked her.

than again Brits are that way. They demand that you persecute them a bit so they can feel...well...British...

And by the way if you believe that cooperating with the police is the right thing to do ... you are more British than American.

We threw the bastards out for that sort of behavior if you remember.
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
...He also had to agree to PRODUCE that evidence if it is requested by ANY law enforcement officer...
Except that "ANY" law enforcement will not ask for it...
 
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Law Enforcement, get it? They enforce our laws. For some unknown reason you are under the false impression that ONLY the Border Patrol has the right to question non-citizens, or the right to arrest, prosecute, or incarcerate illegal aliens. Yes, the Border Patrol is assigned to our borders. But, our police officers have sworn to uphold ALL of our laws, including those pertaining to foreign nationals, both legal and illegal.

Do you think once illegals reach the interior of our country they are off-limits? Sorry, but immigration laws are enforceable in EVERY jurisdiction in this country.

DEA is our Federal Drug Enforcement agency, and they employ Federal Agents. Do you think only DEA has the legal right to question or arrest suspected drug dealers? If local police are on patrol and witness an illegal drug transaction, do you think they just shrug their shoulders and say, “Oh well, there is nothing we can do, because we aren’t federal agents.” No, they have every right to investigate. Likewise, local law enforcement officers do not have to become “immigration agents” to uphold immigration laws. That is simply the tired mantra of pro-illegals.
Then why the question? Then the premise of the topic question is incorrect. It should read...Local law enforcement has the power to enforce any and all laws.

If you beleive they have the power to enforce any and all laws, then there is no rerason to explore the topic question.

Local law enforcement can enforce any and all laws. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top