U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM

16,739 posts, read 9,468,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Gosh I was lucky. My foreign born wife was never told any such thing and after 35 years in the USofA she became a citizen. But in the interim no one other than a border agent ever asked her.

than again Brits are that way. They demand that you persecute them a bit so they can feel...well...British...

And by the way if you believe that cooperating with the police is the right thing to do ... you are more British than American.

We threw the bastards out for that sort of behavior if you remember.
olecapt: while your posts generally stimulate thoughtful reasoning from those who read them regardless of your position on a topic, I found this one however, a little off the rails as castigating another poster's country of origin in a derogatory fashion with that "bastards' descriptor thrown in, was uncalled for. Your history is replete with examples of courage and fortitude but it also has less shining moments as well with your replacement White House being a testament to one of them. I would never refer to you all as bastards because we won that one!

I hail from a country with a similar background of respecting the rule of law and the people charged with it's enforcement and would also hand over any proof of identity requested of a LEO in yours or any other country I might visit. I too have nothing to fear from your police.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Gosh I was lucky. My foreign born wife was never told any such thing and after 35 years in the USofA she became a citizen. But in the interim no one other than a border agent ever asked her.

than again Brits are that way. They demand that you persecute them a bit so they can feel...well...British...

And by the way if you believe that cooperating with the police is the right thing to do ... you are more British than American.

We threw the bastards out for that sort of behavior if you remember.
Am I to guess correctly that your wife is Hispanic based on your remark about border agents asking her for I.D.? Just curious, why would it take her 35 years to become a citizen?

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-01-2011 at 04:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 04:02 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Please don't hate me or my wife, she is the love of my life too...
I appreciate your kind words, I do. But with all do respect you still have yours. You know ? But how would you have felt if something had happened to her while the borg were hemming and hawwing about giving you what you needed for her to be legal and showing gross incompetence ?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
...castigating another poster's country of origin in a derogatory fashion with that "bastards' descriptor throw in...
It wasn't her country of origin, but that of her husband. And certainly we never hear of any derogatory words about Mexico, my wife's country of origin. The poster herself misplaces her anger from USCIS specifically to Mexicans, equating that they receive better treatment in the immigration process.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Quote:
YOu are mostly a victim of 9/11. The entire legal immigration system has become unresponsive and difficult since that event. There are now huge delays in many circumstances...multi years to get a green card even after having passed all the hurdles. I believe they are even inventing new terminology to define these people trapped in the twilight zone.
That could be so. But then why is it that hispanics seem to have no problem having everything handed to them on a silver platter ? My husband and I liked to consider ourselves reasonably smart people. We did everything right as we were instructed. Why does it seem so easy for hispanics who can't even speak English to navigate the immigration system. There just seems to be two sets of rules at play here. One for white people and one for brown people, as bad as that sounds.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
That could be so. But then why is it that hispanics seem to have no problem having everything handed to them on a silver platter ? My husband and I liked to consider ourselves reasonably smart people. We did everything right as we were instructed. Why does it seem so easy for hispanics who can't even speak English to navigate the immigration system. There just seems to be two sets of rules at play here. One for white people and one for brown people, as bad as that sounds.
Who told you that hispanics easily navigate the immigration system?

The whole reason why most of the illegal aliens are illegal is because they have absolutely no hope of ever navigating the immigration system legally.

And that is for cause. We do not wish to wish to welcome a set of relatively poorly skilled, educationally limited and economically weak people to the US. So we say no. They come anyway.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
...But how would you have felt if something had happened to her while the borg were hemming and hawwing about giving you what you needed for her to be legal and showing gross incompetence?
In all reality I would have felt the same as you. Please don't think that Mexicans going through the immigration process have it any easier or receive special treatment. I say that by the time a couple completes immigrating one of them to the United States, they know they love each other.

Because they have gone through all of that together...

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Am I to guess correctly that your wife is Hispanic based on your remark about border agents asking her for I.D.? Just curious, why would it take here 35 years to become a citizen?
What does the length of time have to do with anything?...

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
...But then why is it that hispanics seem to have no problem having everything handed to them on a silver platter ? My husband and I liked to consider ourselves reasonably smart people. We did everything right as we were instructed. Why does it seem so easy for hispanics who can't even speak English to navigate the immigration system. There just seems to be two sets of rules at play here. One for white people and one for brown people, as bad as that sounds.
What makes you say Hispanics have "everything handed to them on a silver platter"? Most people starting the immigration process aren't going to understand the complexities (even here "immediate relative" and other notions are misunderstood). I've had USCIS staff laugh at me for submitting every petition I could.

Don't misplace your anger from a wrongful perception that another nationality has it easier...

Old 06-01-2011, 04:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What does the length of time have to do with anything?...
Because I am curious why it would take so long to become a citizen. My question wasn't directed at you anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or