U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM

5,302 posts, read 3,728,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
...I don't use racist because it is not. But the whole anti thing repeatedly swings to the point of absurdity.

And the worst is that it continues to force the worst case outcome - with no compromise we maintain the status quo which is the worst of all worlds. And particularly which maximizes the illegal alien population in the US.

I really am unable to understand this suicidal push. You have no hope of winning fully...so you respond by doing everything you can to lose as completely as possible.
I'm going to give a paraphrased reverse-Hank Hill comment here:

"Just when I've thought you've posted the smartest thing ever, you keep typing on your keyboard."...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:56 PM

15,756 posts, read 30,961,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
olecapt: while your posts generally stimulate thoughtful reasoning from those who read them regardless of your position on a topic, I found this one however, a little off the rails as castigating another poster's country of origin in a derogatory fashion with that "bastards' descriptor thrown in, was uncalled for. Your history is replete with examples of courage and fortitude but it also has less shining moments as well with your replacement White House being a testament to one of them. I would never refer to you all as bastards because we won that one!

I hail from a country with a similar background of respecting the rule of law and the people charged with it's enforcement and would also hand over any proof of identity requested of a LEO in yours or any other country I might visit. I too have nothing to fear from your police.
Sorry I missed this earlier and it deserves a response.

There are a number of clauses in the Constitution that were absolutely placed there in response to British villainy. The US came into existence driven by the inability of the British to behave reasonably. And there is a long history of that behavior in other places such as Ireland and India. Those were the bastards referenced. And they really were...

If you wish me to except the current British I do...Though again the villainy of the Brits showed through in Northern Ireland in our time. Sometimes I think the real Brit is the soccer hooligan.

You are also correct that much of the world hands over the paper to the authorities as a matter of course. When outside the US I do so

But understand we started as a revolutionary society. We actually had a clause in the Constitution that provided that the people should be armed to the extent that they could overthrow the local or national authority on demand. We have since cleverly misinterpreted that into a much more civilized clause...but that is what it really said. So we have this libertarian streak built into our system that makes us something different.

I will not freely surrender that philosophy. And if it makes the job of our LEOs tougher so be it. They volunteer for the task and are well paid to do it.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:04 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,728,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
...You are also correct that much of the world hands over the paper to the authorities as a matter of course. When outside the US I do so...
I've also had argument with the local TEA Party membership that my 10-year old (at that time) daughter should carry her Resident Card because a grandchild of one of them "carries her school ID". I didn't get a response when I asked whether the little girl carried it in the Summer too. Nor any thought to why my 17-year old didn't have hers, "because it would help in an auto accident".

I responded that his driver's license was enough for him in the same situation, and there wasn't any human-readable home address or next-of-kin information on the Resident Card...

Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Yac

5,544 posts, read 5,814,773 times
Since everybody decided to ignore the original topic and instead to focus on personal discussions and random rants, I'm closing this thread.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.