U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2011, 07:17 PM
 
20,979 posts, read 15,612,174 times
Reputation: 10270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its not racial profiling. Many countries do it and it works.

The police job is to protect & serve the community.

By not asking a persons legal status is not Protecting the community.
Other countries don't have our Constitution.

We simply have to fix this problem Constitutionally.

Forget "feelings" on both sides of the political spectrum.

We are a nation of laws.

Until we prosecute everyone involved to the fullest extent of the LAW, we will continue to fail at this.

We also NEED to permanently close the borders, except for several check points.

 
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
I'm continually amazed by those calling themselves "American", but willing to throw away key tenets of the Constitution in a brief moment...
 
Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm continually amazed by those calling themselves "American", but willing to throw away key tenets of the Constitution in a brief moment...
And I am continually amazed by those calling themselves "Americans" but defend illegal aliens at every turn. I am continually amazed that anyone would defend someone who calls Americans for the rule of law all kinds of nasty names and consider it witty and funny. I am continually amazed that a white person would remain silent while a reconquista nut says that whites are here illegally in their own country.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Emotion is a bad way to govern.
It certainly is. This is precisely why our government needs to enforce our laws, and stop being influenced by illegal alien sob stories.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It certainly is. This is precisely why our government needs to enforce our laws, and stop being influenced by illegal alien sob stories.
Exactly, if anyone is being ruled by emotion it is the advocates for illegal aliens.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Reputation: 2661
Sorry but "Hiibel" has nothing to do with illegal aliens. He was in fact a Nevada Libertarian.

The Constitution protects us all from illegal search and seizure. That "illegals" are included in all is simply one of the things you have to deal with if you wish to have simple and universal rules.

The illegal problem is driven by the fact that the nation is unwilling to solve it either by expelling the illegals or by regularizing their status. So the two sides continue to maximize the damage.
 
Old 05-29-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry but "Hiibel" has nothing to do with illegal aliens. He was in fact a Nevada Libertarian.

The Constitution protects us all from illegal search and seizure. That "illegals" are included in all is simply one of the things you have to deal with if you wish to have simple and universal rules.

The illegal problem is driven by the fact that the nation is unwilling to solve it either by expelling the illegals or by regularizing their status. So the two sides continue to maximize the damage.
Sorry, but YOU introduced Hiibel in this discussion. But, youíre right. That case is not related to illegal immigration.

I donít recall anyone condoning illegal search and seizure. At issue, is whether police should have the right to question the legal status of suspected illegal aliens, or if it is a violation of their Constitutional rights.

According to our immigration laws, all foreign nationals are required to carry documentation at ALL times. If they are required to carry proof of legal status, naturally, they should be expected to produce said documents when requested. Or, are you suggesting the USCIS mandate is unconstitutional?

Quote:
"Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him.
USCIS - Renew a Green Card
 
Old 05-29-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
...At issue, is whether police should have the right to question the legal status of suspected illegal aliens, or if it is a violation of their Constitutional rights.

According to our immigration laws, all foreign nationals are required to carry documentation at ALL times. If they are required to carry proof of legal status, naturally, they should be expected to produce said documents when requested. Or, are you suggesting the USCIS mandate is unconstitutional?...
"Suspected illegal aliens" can also be U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents. At least your reference (it is not a "USCIS mandate") showed that the Resident Card must be carried when 18 years or older. U.S citizens, whether or not they are naturalized, do not have to carry proof of their citizenship within the boundaries of the United States.

Within this thread there has already been a comment that the searches should be focused on Hispanics. That won't fly on Constitutional grounds. And good luck getting it enforced as a nation-wide program that checks everyone.

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 05-29-2011 at 02:52 PM..
 
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,975,174 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"Suspected illegal aliens" can also be U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents. At least your reference (it is not a "USCIS mandate") showed that the Resident Card must be carried when 18 years or older. U.S citizens, whether or not they are naturalized, do not have to carry proof of the citizenship within the boundaries of the United States.

Within this thread there has already been a comment that the searches should be focused on Hispanics. That won't fly on Constitutional grounds. And good luck getting it enforced as a nation-wide program that checks everyone.
So it appears that you are advocating that all an illegal has to do to cheat the system is to not carry any ID and claim to be a citizen. How very PC of you.

If a legal resident, foreign or natural born, cannot show or confirm proof of identity they tend to be held until confirmation can be ascertained. Why do you say that illegals should not conform to the same system?
 
Old 05-29-2011, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So it appears that you are advocating that all an illegal has to do to cheat the system is to not carry any ID and claim to be a citizen. How very PC of you.

If a legal resident, foreign or natural born, cannot show or confirm proof of identity they tend to be held until confirmation can be ascertained. Why do you say that illegals should not conform to the same system?
I am stating the law as it exists, whatever you read into it is on you. Based on what is commonly carried by a U.S. citizen, there is often no way to prove their citizenship from their ID. Proving identity is different from proving citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top