U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times

Advertisements

Sen. Ron Gould, R-Lake Havasu City, who sponsored SB 1465, said the law stemmed from concern that the Mexican government does not adequately verify the identity of individuals before issuing them a card.
"This is not a secure method of ID," Gould said.
He said if the Mexican government wants to provide a secure form of identification for its citizens living in the U.S., it can do so with a passport.
[LEFT]
Read more: New ID law in Ariz. stirs worries for immigrants

We need passports in most places, there good enough for Mexicans here.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:21 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
Immigrant-advocacy groups worry the new law will leave some immigrants without a form of identification and further
Quote:
dissuade them from reporting crimes to law enforcement
Quote:
She said the new law is giving immigrants more reason to avoid law enforcement, even to report a crime.
Why is it that they try and use this ignorant excuse when ever it comes to illegals following our laws? Is it more important that an unidentified illegal report a crime... maybe once a year, than knowing the name of the person(s) that's in this country illegally?
I'm sick of hearing it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:27 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Why is it that they try and use this ignorant excuse when ever it comes to illegals following our laws? Is it more important that an unidentified illegal report a crime... maybe once a year, than knowing the name of the person(s) that's in this country illegally?
I'm sick of hearing it.
As am I. Note that the word "immigrants" was used rather than illegal aliens? Why would an "immigrant" be afraid to report a crime?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,771,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Sen. Ron Gould, R-Lake Havasu City, who sponsored SB 1465, said the law stemmed from concern that the Mexican government does not adequately verify the identity of individuals before issuing them a card.
"This is not a secure method of ID," Gould said.
He said if the Mexican government wants to provide a secure form of identification for its citizens living in the U.S., it can do so with a passport.
[LEFT]
Read more: New ID law in Ariz. stirs worries for immigrants

We need passports in most places, there good enough for Mexicans here.
[/LEFT]
I used to see some of those cards in NYC when I worked at a bank. They are not worth the paper they are printed on but our bank accepted them.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
"US Cellular" sells or furnishes "matricula consular" cards right out of their office. It must be an old sign on their door, because after Oklahoma passed HB 1804, most illegals hit the road running.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"US Cellular" sells or furnishes "matricula consular" cards right out of their office. It must be an old sign on their door, because after Oklahoma passed HB 1804, most illegals hit the road running.
Maybe you misread the sign. perhaps US Celluar open accounts with the MC card...not sold them.

MC cards are issued through the Mexican consulate offices.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
MC cards aren't worth the paper they're printed on. However I've seen my local Kroger accept it as a valid form of ID for buying alcohol and cigarettes. Outrageous.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
MC cards aren't worth the paper they're printed on. However I've seen my local Kroger accept it as a valid form of ID for buying alcohol and cigarettes. Outrageous.
If the state of Texas considers them valid ID, then the hold the weight of the state of Texas.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As am I. Note that the word "immigrants" was used rather than illegal aliens? Why would an "immigrant" be afraid to report a crime?
You beat me to it Chicagonut. LEGAL immigrants have nothing to worry about. Like I said in another thread, it's conditioning. Our liberally biased media is always softening the issue. They constantly drop the "Illegal" and generally replace that with "undocumented"! It's getting us ready for the next amnesty, they're trying to put a positive spin on a outrageously negative issue.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If the state of Texas considers them valid ID, then the hold the weight of the state of Texas.
The state of Texas does not have a prescriptive list of acceptable forms of identification for the purchase of alcoholic beverages. It's entirely up to the business what forms of ID they will/won't accept, so it's actually on KROGER.

TABC Age Verification / Checking IDs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or