U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,101,613 times
Reputation: 2199

Advertisements

New ID law in Arizona stirs worries for immigrants


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
New ID law in Arizona stirs worries for immigrants
Stirs worries for "immigrants"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,088,107 times
Reputation: 957
[LEFT]The new law will not affect immigrants' ability to use the cards at private businesses. For example, many banks accept the card as adequate identification to set up an account. The law would forbid, for example, a city from accepting a consular ID card as the only required identification to get a library card


A library card....?
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,013,920 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
New ID law in Arizona stirs worries for immigrants
So, isn't a Mexican passport issued by the same entity as a Matricula Consular card?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
777 posts, read 923,809 times
Reputation: 3150
If city and state entities can no longer accept the card as ID then wouldn't that also apply to Medicaid and Food Stamps??? These programs may be federally funded but they are managed by the state. Wasn't said in the article but it stands to reason. They can still go to food banks tho since they are managed by non-profits. Correct me if I'm wrong...but be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Illinois...for now
108 posts, read 134,338 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
If city and state entities can no longer accept the card as ID then wouldn't that also apply to Medicaid and Food Stamps??? These programs may be federally funded but they are managed by the state. Wasn't said in the article but it stands to reason. They can still go to food banks tho since they are managed by non-profits. Correct me if I'm wrong...but be nice.
They shouldn't be getting Medicade & food stamps anyway. If they are here illegally they should have no right to any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,088,107 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
If city and state entities can no longer accept the card as ID then wouldn't that also apply to Medicaid and Food Stamps??? These programs may be federally funded but they are managed by the state. Wasn't said in the article but it stands to reason. They can still go to food banks tho since they are managed by non-profits. Correct me if I'm wrong...but be nice.

Quote:
Even under the broadest provisions of the Federal statute (except for emergency services for certain persons), the Medicaid program does not provide health care services for everyone.
No illegal aliens do not qualify for state run federaly funded Medicaid. They are able to recieve Emergency Medical treatment.

Food Stamps are state benefits and each state has it qualilfication rules.

American children of illegal alien parents are allowed all benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,813 posts, read 30,061,070 times
Reputation: 17697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
[LEFT]The new law will not affect immigrants' ability to use the cards at private businesses. For example, many banks accept the card as adequate identification to set up an account. The law would forbid, for example, a city from accepting a consular ID card as the only required identification to get a library card


A library card....?
[/LEFT]
Is there not a monetary amount attached to said books? Fraud and theft come in all sizes. I'm not surprised that you don't think this is a big deal. Sorry, but services are services and theft of them is a crime. I'm glad they are clamping down. You keep saying what is freely given and then when something is enacted to stop it you poo poo it just like every other check being put into place for your beloved illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
No illegal aliens do not qualify for state run federaly funded Medicaid. They are able to recieve Emergency Medical treatment.

Food Stamps are state benefits and each state has it qualilfication rules.

American children of illegal alien parents are allowed all benefits.
Yes, and that is, by far, THE greatest travesty of all. Only the U.S. would allow illegal aliens to fleece hardworking taxpayers, simply by giving birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,632 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So, isn't a Mexican passport issued by the same entity as a Matricula Consular card?...
ILLEGAL aliens would be in big trouble here even with a passport from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top