U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times

Advertisements

ok, 1751texan pretty much mopped the floor with everyone here. i have to agree with him. the OP falsey states that since a large portion of people in east la are 1)hispanic and 2) Spanish speaking (a number not found in the link posted[did i just miss it?]) then the area is a hotbed of illegal immigration. meaning those hispanic people who speak spanish are obvioulsy illegal. i dont think thats the case at all. per the stats on the link provided only 49 percent were foreign born. and anectdotally, EAST LA has been a mexican area for decades. there are generations and generations of mexicans who have lived in east la, legally. as for being american, or unamerican, or assimilating or illegal... what is the barometer? some must be assimilating. in 2004, 36% of east LA residents voted republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ok, 1751texan pretty much mopped the floor with everyone here. i have to agree with him. the OP falsey states that since a large portion of people in east la are 1)hispanic and 2) Spanish speaking (a number not found in the link posted[did i just miss it?]) then the area is a hotbed of illegal immigration. meaning those hispanic people who speak spanish are obvioulsy illegal. i dont think thats the case at all. per the stats on the link provided only 49 percent were foreign born. and anectdotally, EAST LA has been a mexican area for decades. there are generations and generations of mexicans who have lived in east la, legally. as for being american, or unamerican, or assimilating or illegal... what is the barometer? some must be assimilating. in 2004, 36% of east LA residents voted republican
Really? Which post of his/hers did that? The fact is that East L.A. is a hotbed for illegal aliens, language usage not-withstanding. Please show the post where anyone said that if you are Hispanic and speak Spanish you must be an illegal.

Uh, a sign of assimilation isn't based on one's choice of political party.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,090,724 times
prove it is a hot bed. otherwise it is NOT A FACT. thats the same erroneous argument the OP was trying to make. the two measures for being a hotbed of illegal immigrants were 1)mostly hispanic 2)largely spanish speaking (not supported by numbers per his www). that does not add up.

as for 1751's brutalizing his opponents. the posts speak for themselves.

and i was being facetious when i posted the stat about political party. hence the . next time i will put a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Really? Which post of his/hers did that? The fact is that East L.A. is a hotbed for illegal aliens, language usage not-withstanding. Please show the post where anyone said that if you are Hispanic and speak Spanish you must be an illegal.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,567,458 times
Quote:

Let me quote the original..

Quote:
99% of the population in East Los Angeles is Hispanic and a whopping 87% of households in East Los Angeles speak Spanish. Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

Talk about a very culturally unamerican city when 87% of all households do not speak English. So much for assimilation.
So that pretty much says it does it not? 99% hispanic and 87% Spanish speaking indicate illegal? Is that not exactly what he said.

East LA has always spoken Spanish...so that would be the American idiom of choice in that area. And those who speak only english might well be accussed of a failure to assimilate.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
prove it is a hot bed. otherwise it is NOT A FACT. thats the same erroneous argument the OP was trying to make. the two measures for being a hotbed of illegal immigrants were 1)mostly hispanic 2)largely spanish speaking (not supported by numbers per his www). that does not add up.

as for 1751's brutalizing his opponents. the posts speak for themselves.

and i was being facetious when i posted the stat about political party. hence the . next time i will put a

Sure, and I will prove the obvious that the sky is blue. You have and odd way of summarizing who is brutalizing who in here. Must be those biased rose colored glasses you're wearing.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Let me quote the original..

So that pretty much says it does it not? 99% hispanic and 87% Spanish speaking indicate illegal? Is that not exactly what he said.

East LA has always spoken Spanish...so that would be the American idiom of choice in that area. And those who speak only english might well be accussed of a failure to assimilate.
They said it was an "indication" that it was a hotbed of illegal aliens. They didn't say that just because one speaks Spanish that they are automatically an illegal alien. Illegal aliens tend to live in areas where there are those who also speak the same language whether they also be illegals or citizens/legal immigrants. That's just a fact.

No, assimilation means adapting to mainstream American not ethnic enclaves.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
They said it was an "indication" that it was a hotbed of illegal aliens. They didn't say that just because one speaks Spanish that they are automatically an illegal alien. Illegal aliens tend to live in areas where there are those who also speak the same language whether they also be illegals or citizens/legal immigrants. That's just a fact.
Let us run through that again...

Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

You going off into the what does "is" mean argument? No "indication" he said it right out in the open. Boy you will go to extremes to defend the indefensible won't you? Even add words when the clear meaning is too much for you.

Quote:
Ohh and where is that written down? I grew up in KY which has some very fine and very ethnic areas that would point out to you how little you understand...we are a country of considerable diversity. If you don't like the environ in some area don't live there. But don't start trying to insist there is some line they must toe. Puerto Rico is as American as say desert CA...and english is not the primary tongue in Puerto Rico.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Let us run through that again...

Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

You going off into the what does "is" mean argument? No "indication" he said it right out in the open. Boy you will go to extremes to defend the indefensible won't you? Even add words when the clear meaning is too much for you.

Ohh and where is that written down? I grew up in KY which has some very fine and very ethnic areas that would point out to you how little you understand...we are a country of considerable diversity. If you don't like the environ in some area don't live there. But don't start trying to insist there is some line they must toe. Puerto Rico is as American as say desert CA...and english is not the primary tongue in Puerto Rico.
Re-read my post for clarity. You just aren't getting it or YOU are going to the extreme to twist my words.

People in Kentucky are mostly English speakers. Puerto Rico isn't even on the mainland. Bad analogies. Hispanics are still the minority in this country and so is the Spanish language therefore their culture and language do not represent mainstream America anymore than English and Anglos represent the demographic makeup and language of mainstream Mexico. You do know what sub-cultures and languages are, don't you?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Re-read my post for clarity. You just aren't getting it or YOU are going to the extreme to twist my words.
Try it again...read the words...what does it say?

What part of it don't you understand?

Quote:
People in Kentucky are mostly English speakers.
So culture actually means only language? You really think the culture of mountain KY is the same as say coastal CA?

Quote:
Puerto Rico isn't even on the mainland. Bad analogies.
Neither is Hawaii or Alaska. You wish to ban Hawaiian and Eskimo languages as well as not mainstream? All the Indian tongues must go as well? If it is not English it is not acceptable?

Quote:
Hispanics are still the minority in this country and so is the Spanish language therefore their culture and language do not represent mainstream America anymore than English and Anglos represent the demographic makeup and language of mainstream Mexico.
They are more than big enough to be a sub-culture. And in at least some places they will likely dominate the local culture...PR and East LA as examples. And that is good...

Quote:
You do know what sub-cultures and languages are, don't you?
I believe culture is far more complex than simply language. I also believe that the US is quite culturally diverse and is able to live with a wide range of cultural choices.

It is always sad that the "America First" bigots can't understand this.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,240,306 times
Quote:

Youre right.

Learn English or get left in the dirt. Quite simple to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or