U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Yac

5,881 posts, read 6,310,906 times

Advertisements

Unless someone actually contributes to the thread instead of going in circles, repeating the same things over and over, the thread will be closed.
Yac.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Try it again...read the words...what does it say?

Those are definitely 2 red flags that East Los Angeles is a hot bed for illegal immigrants.

What part of it don't you understand?

So culture actually means only language? You really think the culture of mountain KY is the same as say coastal CA?

Neither is Hawaii or Alaska. You wish to ban Hawaiian and Eskimo languages as well as not mainstream? All the Indian tongues must go as well? If it is not English it is not acceptable?

They are more than big enough to be a sub-culture. And in at least some places they will likely dominate the local culture...PR and East LA as examples. And that is good...

I believe culture is far more complex than simply language. I also believe that the US is quite culturally diverse and is able to live with a wide range of cultural choices.

It is always sad that the "America First" bigots can't understand this.
I stand by what I said. Yes, the demographic makeup of East L.A. is a red flag. I never claimed I agreed with the OP's percentages of illegals though. No one knows that for sure.

No, language isn't the only part of a culture. However, "primary" language usage is a big part of it. Just because people in the south may differ somewhat in food choices or mode of dress compared to the rest of the nation does not negate the fact that we are all united in language and out of a melting pot culture came one identifying one. Where did I say I wanted any languages banned in this country? Now who is making things up?

Yes, Spanish does dominate in some areas of the U.S. but that still doesn't change the fact that we are not a Hispanic nation in identity. It still isn't mainstream America but a sub-culture. I see nothing bigoted about wanting to retain our maintream identity as a nation while not objecting to other sub-cultures in our midst.

I guess you would consider it bigoted then for the Chinese to desire to remain Asian in identity? How about Mexico wanting to remain Hispanic in identity? There isn't a country on this planet that would welcome a demographic change via illegal immigration either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,380,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
...but this area of Los Angeles was founded by hispanics and has remained as such...how does that make them "unamerican"?
Yes, this area was founded by Spaniards, but it wasn't until the early 20th century (1930's) that it became a focus of the Hispanic (Mexican) community. Before then it had a strong Anglo population. There were also strong Jewish, Serbian, Japanese and Italian populations in this area. It wasn't until after WWII when this area became predominantly, and strongly, Hispanic, and by 1950 it was primarily Mexican.

For the record, Los Angeles was founded by families who were Spanish, Negro, Indian, Mulatto and Mestizo...

"On September 4, 1781, El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles was founded by 44 pobladores from New Spain, now called Mexico. The heads of the eleven founding families were Antonio Clemente Villavicencio, a Spaniard; Antonio Mesa, a Negro; Jose Fernando Lara, a Spaniard, Jose Vanegas, an Indian; Pablo Rodriquez, and Indian; Manuel Camero, a Mulatto; Jose Antonio Navarro, a Mestizo; Jose Moreno, a Mulatto; Basillio BullBoxer31, an Indian; Alejandro BullBoxer31, an Indian; and Luis Quintero, a Negro."

Of course, before they came along it was Chumash territory, who were NOT of Mexican origin.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, this area was founded by Spaniards, but it wasn't until the early 20th century (1930's) that it became a focus of the Hispanic (Mexican) community. Before then it had a strong Anglo population. There were also strong Jewish, Serbian, Japanese and Italian populations in this area. It wasn't until after WWII when this area became predominantly, and strongly, Hispanic, and by 1950 it was primarily Mexican.

For the record, Los Angeles was founded by families who were Spanish, Negro, Indian, Mulatto and Mestizo...

"On September 4, 1781, El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles was founded by 44 pobladores from New Spain, now called Mexico. The heads of the eleven founding families were Antonio Clemente Villavicencio, a Spaniard; Antonio Mesa, a Negro; Jose Fernando Lara, a Spaniard, Jose Vanegas, an Indian; Pablo Rodriquez, and Indian; Manuel Camero, a Mulatto; Jose Antonio Navarro, a Mestizo; Jose Moreno, a Mulatto; Basillio BullBoxer31, an Indian; Alejandro BullBoxer31, an Indian; and Luis Quintero, a Negro."

Of course, before they came along it was Chumash territory, who were NOT of Mexican origin.
As you said, the Chumash indian tribe (and they migrated here from another continent) were here prior to the Spanish and settled in the L.A. area. So essentially they were here within our country's bounderies first whereas the Spanish were not nor were the mestizo Mexicans. I wish people would read up a little more about the history of this country.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,583,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

All or just about all were Mexican and Hispanic. And they were there well before US authority became controlling.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM

959 posts, read 1,122,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
thats great information on East Los Angeles...I seemed to miss the part where the residents were "unamerican" and "Illegals". Could you point that out for me.
There are over 704,000 illegal immigrants in Los Angeles county. So it only makes sense that a 99% Hispanic area like East Los Angeles would be a hotbead for illegals.
Illegal Immigrants in California

The vast majority of illegals in Los Angeles county are Hispanic, not Canadian or Eastern European.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
There are over 704,000 illegal immigrants in Los Angeles county. So it only makes sense that a 99% Hispanic area like East Los Angeles would be a hotbead for illegals.
Illegal Immigrants in California

The vast majority of illegals in Los Angeles county are Hispanic, not Canadian or Eastern European.
Thank you for posting these "facts".

Old 06-02-2011, 03:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 32,583,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Thank you for posting these "facts".
That is about 15% of the hispanic population of LA county. So why would East LA be more than 15%?

I would think Las Vegas or Phoenix would have higher illegal immigrant percentage than LA which has a large and long term hispanic population.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Here are some interesting stats from that same link.

English speakers - Foreign born:
2.0% of residents of East Los Angeles speak English at home.
96.0% of residents speak Spanish at home (18% speak English very well, 82% speak English less than very well).
1.2% of residents speak other language at home (26% speak English very well, 74% speak English less than very well).

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/races/races...#ixzz1O9ZqO5jL

If these people and their families have been there for generations why would there be so many that are foreign born there and only 82% that speak English less than very well? Just how many of these would be legal immigrants? I'd venture a guess but the attacks would start.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,077,702 times

YouTube - ‪Cheech and Chong - "Born In East L.A."‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or